PROLOGUE

When a draconic predator threatens the food supply of a northern village, it is up to a group of heroes to track the creature back to its lair and end the threat it poses.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

PROLOGUE

Post by admin »

As the biting wind whistles through the snowy landscape, you find yourself standing at the edge of a small, secluded village nestled amidst the frigid wilderness of Golarion's northern region known as "The Crown of the World." This is Aaminiut, a place you've reached after an arduous journey in search of adventure and fortune.

You arrived here as part of a sizable caravan that traversed treacherous terrain and weathered countless challenges along the way. While others in the caravan forged connections and formed bonds, you kept mostly to yourself, diligently fulfilling your duty as a guard, ensuring the safety of the precious cargo that accompanied you.

The journey wasn't without its tolls, though. The relentless cold of the north forced you to spend a significant portion of your meager income on warm clothing, leaving you with little to no funds as the caravan finally reached its destination. The very garments that shielded you from the harsh elements now serve as a stark reminder of your dwindling finances.

As you stand here in Aaminiut, surrounded by snow-capped peaks and a sense of uncertainty, you can't help but wonder how you'll manage to acquire the funds necessary to continue your journey southward, to lands that offer more opportunities but are less forgiving. The village before you presents both the allure of potential opportunities and the challenge of the unknown.

Your quest for adventure and the need to secure your passage back to lands more hospitable now intertwine, urging you to seek new paths, forge alliances, and embark on daring quests that may hold the promise of both wealth and excitement. The future is uncertain, but as an intrepid adventurer, you are no stranger to adversity. The world of possibilities awaits your next move, and only you can determine how your story unfolds in this wintery realm.

In Aaminiut’s central square, the leaders of the settlement’s two cultures, the Ulfen merchant Bjorn the Blade and the Erutaki elder Seshu, converse quietly as Bjorn hammers the final nail attaching a scrolled piece of hide to the village’s notice board. Villagers and traders gather around the board to read the scroll, murmuring in concerned interest. When you draw closer to investigate, you discover the
scroll is a bounty posting depicting a draconic head in profile with the following notice in Common

THERE! The opportunity you are looking for! But... alone, your chances of defeating an unknown creature, in an unknown environment are practically zero. You will need to team up with others if you are to ever to attempt reaching for this Bounty.

While you are considering your options, all the town villagers have moved away. Around the notice, only a few people are left... various races, definitively not from this place, as their getup indicates. And people obviously interested in this Bounty, like you.

Most of these people ,if not all, were also guards in the Caravan, as you recognize a few faces. It is about time you introduce yourself and see if these fine folks would agree to band together to share both the dangers AND the Bounty!

OUT OF CHARACTER
REMINDERS

#1: When editing Text, the forum provides various options to indicate when you TALK, Whisper, Yell, OOC (Out Of Character, like THIS section!), etc - USE these to format when your PC is talking/yelling etc. which makes it easier to understand what your PC is saying, versus what YOU are saying!

#2: Make an effort to use a word correction tool to limit 'typoes' as much as possible.

#3: The AE button at the TOP of the EDIT window is very interesting to place stuff you are keeping track on your PC in a separate section of Text - Try it out with a Preview of your reply! You can use it to track the number of SLOTS you have left for spells - OR which spells are left (for those who must 'study' their spell loadout at the start of the day)

REMEMBER that a PbP is TEXT-Based... you need to READ to know what is happening!

THANKS and I hope you will enjoy this PbP!!

admin
JellyBrains
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Re: PROLOGUE

Post by JellyBrains »

Am I the only person who thinks this is a wonderful opportunity? Disregarding the high likelyhood of dying horribly. I look around thinking that some look grim, some look determined, some look thoughtful: all look cold.
Jinxs-3d
BARON
BARON

Post by Jinxs-3d »

His bald head steaming a little in the cold as his red eyes look around at the mostly tall folk standing around the notice.
It would seem these people need help, and I could use some work. Any of you longshanks up for hunting this thing threatening the village?
Teucer Argent - Zen Archer
Image Ardrea - Jinx Witch
Image Mazer: Goblin Champion
Image Arkyat, Orc Thaumaturge
Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

A 'non-young' elf glances around at some of the caravan guards reading the post. I'm game for helping this frozen town while making enough coins to leave it...that seems like a good idea to me. However, perhaps we should clarify things first since the bounty amount is missing...and perhaps the bounty posters know a little more than was on the poster...such as does it only steal fish and never attacks the (i guess) fishing boats themselves?
Image Lola: Amazonian Cleric
Image Tover Lastblock, Gnome Fighter 1
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Jinxs-3d wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:29 pm His bald head steaming a little in the cold as his red eyes look around at the mostly tall folk standing around the notice.
It would seem these people need help, and I could use some work. Any of you longshanks up for hunting this thing threatening the village?
I'm a hunter by training, says a leather clad elf carrying a longbow over his back with a sword at his side. He nods to the all, Siril is my name and I'm ready to track this beast down. Who might you be?
Last edited by ElectroZman on Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JellyBrains
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by JellyBrains »

Van looks around for the two elders who posted.You have some questions that need answering. I have one of my own. How are we expected to move around the bay?He asks the Dawnflower for strength.

I am Van, cleric of the Dawnflower but no stranger to the wilderness. I have pledged to do good as penitence for my sin of ....fishing during prayer days.
Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

JellyBrains wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:32 pm Van looks around for the two elders who posted.You have some questions that need answering. I have one of my own. How are we expected to move around the bay?He asks the Dawnflower for strength.

I am Van, cleric of the Dawnflower but no stranger to the wilderness. I have pledged to do good as penitence for my sin of ....fishing during prayer days.
Falas the "non-young" leather wearing elf walks over to Van and introduces himself I am Falas and specialize in stealth, two weapon fighting as well as some other skills. You raise a good question and I also have some questions for the elders about this bounty. Perhaps we should find a few more people to round us out and ask the elders for more details?
Relkyn
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by Relkyn »

Hello, I am Ixil, a troubadour by trade. Gnome by birth. I was the one with the caravan that was singing, telling tales from around Golarion, and playing my lute. I can help with the task and if necessary talk to anyone for the group. I am a gnome wearing studded leather armor, with a tiny rapier and dagger on my hips, a small sling and stones bedecking my bandolier, and some liquid in a small corked vial there as well. My lute is in my hands.
He who doesn't learn from History is doomed to repeat it.
Relkyn

Image Ixil: Gnome Bard
rednetra
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by rednetra »

a little Pink hair Gnome comes bounding up and just does not seem to sit or stand still very well. reads the documents. even now and again asking for help with a word. Then turns Im in names Zen fun is my name and nature my game. I'm the house cat that's been stalking around on watch now and again. Were do we startstops for a moment again fidgeting Did one of you say we need the bounty explained then he will start to explain what a bounty is and means unless someone stops him.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

As you all gather around the notice board to discuss amongst yourselves, you can see the two leaders seemingly continuing their discussion, around 30' away, near one of the houses. They seems to be glancing your way from time to time, perhaps trying to gage if anyone will help them with their problem...
rednetra
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by rednetra »

Zen will skip over to the two people look up at them and stare back then cock my head to the left It is very rude to stare. So what on your mind Clementine he gives a devils smile up at them. The kind that is present but also uncomfortable.
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Siril follows Zen over to the two leaders and says, I think we've got a decent group together over there, pointing his thumb over his shoulder at the rest. But we have some questions.

If no one else near the notice joins, he waves them over. He waits for the rest, but in the meantime trys to recall what he knows about the creature depicted and described on the notice.

Nature Roll: 11
JellyBrains
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by JellyBrains »

Van speaks softly to IxilPerhaps you can intercede with those twoindicates the eldersbefore our compatriot confuses the situation beyond all salvation. You did hear our concerns, yes?indicating himself and Falas with a wave of his hand. Then even more softlyThen could you explain what he said? I understood about half of it. Then in Sylvan,Thanks, Ixil.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Once again Electrozman posts while I'm typing my post. I'm feeling like I'm getting schooled :D

Jinxs-3d
BARON
BARON

Post by Jinxs-3d »

ElectroZman wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:30 pm I'm a hunter by training, says a leather clad elf carrying a longbow over his back with a sword at his side. He nods to the all, Siril is my name and I'm ready to track this beast down. Who might you be?
The goblin looks up at the tall elf with a large toothy grin, his mouth a little overly large with a lot of sharp looking teeth. He's wearing Hide armor and seems to be well armed. A shield and morningstar hang at his side, along with what appears to be several javelins and a ..trident?
I'm Mazer, a Liberator and devotee of Milani.

Seeing the elf approach the elder and waving people over, as well as the excitable gnome bounding over. Mazer will follow up behind them.
Teucer Argent - Zen Archer
Image Ardrea - Jinx Witch
Image Mazer: Goblin Champion
Image Arkyat, Orc Thaumaturge
Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

JellyBrains wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:45 am Van speaks softly to IxilPerhaps you can intercede with those twoindicates the eldersbefore our compatriot confuses the situation beyond all salvation. You did hear our concerns, yes?indicating himself and Falas with a wave of his hand. Then even more softlyThen could you explain what he said? I understood about half of it. Then in Sylvan,Thanks, Ixil.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Once again Electrozman posts while I'm typing my post. I'm feeling like I'm getting schooled :D

Falas says to Ixil Well met Ixil, I am Falas. I suggest lets all ago over now to the elders to hear first hand. Falas adjusts his bandolier of daggers to be more presentable and walks over to the elders.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Alas, Siril has no idea what type of creature would be the target of this hunt.

As Zan approaches them, the leaders turn to him. When he mentions "Clementine", they turn to each other, baffled looks on their faces, hesitant to reply. As other people approach, merchant Bjorn says politely to Zan:

Well, I am not sure who you mean by this Clementine person, but I see others coming over...

He then pauses, waiting for the others to arrive. Once everyone is around, Seshu nods her consent to the merchant, who then says:
Are you willing to help us? Did you have any questions?
Relkyn
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by Relkyn »

Ixil calmly walks with the group over to the two men who posted the bounty. I am Ixil. Me and these others would be interested in this bounty,
but we had a few questions. How much does this bounty pay?
After waiting and listening to their answers, he asks Also, did it just take fish or other items from this town? Where does it attack most frequently? Can we talk to someone who has seen this monster? And how can we get around this bay? If we have other questions, where can we find you? Ixil steps back after listening to their responses, he bows and thanks them for their time. Give us a moment to discuss this amongst ourselves and we will give you an answer. Were their other questions you each had for them? What do you guys think? Is this enough information to go on? Who else should we talk to?

Ixil rolls a performance diplomacy check.
He who doesn't learn from History is doomed to repeat it.
Relkyn

Image Ixil: Gnome Bard
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Siril add's one more question to Ixil's questions, Do you have any maps of the area on which you could point out the troublespots? It would save us some time.

After which he says to Ixil and the others, Ready whenever you are. No time like the present.
You can see he's getting antsy...
Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

Falas nods to the leaders, Has it ever hurt a fisherman or been agreesive about their boats? Speaking of boats, how can we travers this watery area, can we borrow some boats or something? Falls pauses for their replies, then adds While i think we do have a healer, always a risk if they are the hurt one... or even just to save the spells for major damage vs just smaller wounds...do you happen to have a old/spare healers kit we can borrow for the group? in my travels I trained in medicine.
OUT OF CHARACTER
let me know if i need to roll anything

JellyBrains
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by JellyBrains »

To the eldersIs there a place nearby where this beast raided? I would like to see it firsthand.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Q: How much does this bounty pay?
A: We are not very wealthy, but we understand that you might wish to purchase passage back south; We will cover the price of your passage down south, plus give your group 12 GP as a bonus. Alas, this is all we can afford should you be able to bring proof that you have solved our issue.
Q: Also, did it just take fish or other items from this town?
A: Only food and food related items were pilfered.
Q: Where does it attack most frequently?
A: Wherever the is food being dried outside, so no specific place in particular. It depends on the catch of the fishermen.
Q: Can we talk to someone who has seen this monster?
A: I have seen it, says the merchant. I can't add much, but I think I saw a fin on its back... It was far away, and in the darkness so I am not totally sure. It also looked like the same size as that of a seal {medium sized} he says.
Q: And how can we get around this bay?
A: I have a dog sled I can rent - for the low price of 15 Silver Pieces. Unfortunately, such a sled will fit up to 3 occupants only and you would not be able to find a second sled for rent in this town... he trails off.
OUT OF CHARACTER
You come to understand that other dog teams+sleds proprietors would NOT take the risks of loosing this critical mode of transportation...!

Q: If we have other questions, where can we find you?
A: They give you where you can find them in town.
Q: Do you have any maps of the area on which you could point out the troublespots?
A: We do not have any maps, but it would make sense that this creature lives across the Bay, in the western direction.
Q: Ready whenever you are. No time like the present.
A: Bjorn replies to this comment: I would strongly advise leaving in the morning, once the sun it up and visibility it clear. {it is currently late afternoon}. You can spend the night there he points to a larger building It's only 10 copper pieces a night, and for an additional 3 copper pieces, they will even provide a standard meal. {total: 13 copper pieces per person}
OUT OF CHARACTER
In case you did NOT notice: Prices in PF2e are about 1/10th of the prices in PF1e... For example, a Masterwork weapon in PF1e would cost 300 GP: But in PF2e, a +1 Weapon Potency Rune (which gives a +1 to attacks, like the MW property) costs 35GP!!

Q: Has it ever hurt a fisherman or been aggressive about their boats?
No, only stolen our hard earned catches... {Boats would be useful in the southern section of the Bay, but this creature seems to be in the north-western section of the Bay}
Q: Speaking of boats, how can we travers this watery area, can we borrow some boats or something?
A: Nobody would have a boat to 'loan' you. But at this time of year, the northern portion the bay is filled with ice. It can be traversed without the need of a boat if you stick to the ice flows.
Q: Do you happen to have a old/spare healers kit we can borrow for the group?
A: You can check in the General store over there. Perhaps they can sell you one.
Q: Is there a place nearby where this beast raided?
A: Yes, a couple of days ago, but all the damage has been repaired, and the missing fish is.. well, missing! There won't be any clues left after so many days, unfortunately.
JellyBrains
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by JellyBrains »

It seems our choices are to try to track it to its lair or to set a baited ambush for it.Aside to Ixil,We might even have entertainment for the evening?To the group and elders,We should make a plan by morning
rednetra
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by rednetra »

Zan just looked at them blankly unnerving as if looking into their very soul or is he just staring off into space all the while still moving ever so lightly. All the while giving the devilish grin and in the softest sweetened voice So you want a group of adventures to help you find and help rectify the situation. You can help us get passage out of this lovely paradise you think he might mean that this place is a paradise but you are not sure if it is sarcasm you think they have a fin yet half the water is frozen enough that we can walk on water. he pauses and then stares up at the two elders again looking at them as if through them Then pay us 12 GP but yet you will charge us to use the sled and to take lodgings. he snaps out of it and stands straight up as if a whole new person is there then glaring at them now Are you nuts? You say that you do not have a lot to give us in loo of payment and then you ask us to give you money to solve your problem i think that there is a bit of irony there He gets all kid-like and snarky then makes air quotes Here go kill this monster who is attacking us but pay us to do it but in the end, we just give it back to you ya ya ya the Gnome starts walking around in circles with his hands moving as if there were puppets on there talking back and forth in a mocking tone Please help us we need you but we need to charge you for helping us then here is a few gold back but if you die we have made coin off you at leastand Zan just goes around and around like this for a few moment or till someone stops him
OUT OF CHARACTER
with what they have said and what was read do i have a clue what the creature is 18

admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

For ZAN only!Show
Zan does not know any animals that fit the description given...
We did lay many traps, but the creature somehow eluded all of them. Otherwise, we would have easily solved our issue and not require assistance. Seshu says.

As the Gnome "Zan" starts delivering his speech, both elders look at each other, sad look onto their faces. Once the gnome has finished talking, Bjorn says to the Gnome: Look, if you are not willing to help, that certainly fine. This might be dangerous after all. We are confident that someone competent will eventually turn up and solve this issue.

Seshu adds The trek to the other side of the Bay is a difficult one and will requires many many hours to complete. If some of you do decide to try your hand at solving this issue, I would advise a good night's sleep. You will need your Strength come the morrow... she trailed off.

If you have other queries, we will see to answer them tomorrow morning. For now, we both have things we need to attend to. says Bjorn.

Both elders bow in unison towards you, and take their leave.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Reminder: Although these villagers do not have a Map to give, you do have an idea of the lay of the land, as previously provided in the Introduction thread...

Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

Falas looks the gather group over, i am Falas, anyone good with winter survival? Advice? Anthing we need to buy to better our chances in the cold without the benefit of being in a large caravan now...Maybe at least browse the general store? After that perhaps we regroup at the inn? Leaving in am seems to make sense so the spell caster can consider spells...
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Siril says to Falas, I can help us with survival, but it won't be a sunday picnic. All should come prepared.

He grins at Zan but to the elders he says, We're here to help, but if I understand him rightly, our new friend here has a point about lodgings.

Siril shrugs, Where is this inn? Perhaps we might make plans over a flagon of mead?

He's pacing back and forth a little...
JellyBrains
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by JellyBrains »

Van says,Here, here. I, too, am at fond of the wilderness. And eating. I can help forage as we travel. Although it will be easier if we walk rather than renting a dogsled for a princely sum.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Q: We're here to help, but if I understand him rightly, our new friend here has a point about lodgings.
A: Turning back for a moment as he is walking away, Bjorn replies; No he does not. We don't own the Inn. You will have to speak to Rudoff if you want accommodations there. Tell him you are willing to help the Village, and he should be amendable to the prices I gave you. Otherwise, it he will charge you the standard fee for Strangers... And DO polish your language when you deal with him! he concludes, shaking his head slightly in the direction of Zan, who perhaps insulted him just a few moments ago by calling him "nuts".

Bjorn left.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Both the Inn and the General store are easily found in the middle of the town, which has a population of over 3,000 hardy souls.

Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

OUT OF CHARACTER
>>The relentless cold of the north forced you to spend a significant portion of your meager income on warm clothing, leaving you with little to no funds as the caravan finally reached its destination. The very garments that shielded you from the harsh elements now serve as a stark reminder of your dwindling finances.

Just double checking how to interpret that, should we add "Clothing, Winter" to our gear, but offset the cost being caravan gaurds, so net 0?

admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Silverstone wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:46 pm >>The relentless cold of the north forced you to spend a significant portion of your meager income on warm clothing, leaving you with little to no funds as the caravan finally reached its destination. The very garments that shielded you from the harsh elements now serve as a stark reminder of your dwindling finances.

Just double checking how to interpret that, should we add "Clothing, Winter" to our gear, but offset the cost being caravan guards, so net 0?
I assume you are all equipped with winter clothing, and these purchases were paid with the money gained as a caravan guard. So net = 0. If you wish to note these on your Sheet (as Clothing, Winter), be my guest!

Return to “[ENDED] {PbP} The Whitefang Wyrm bounty {Pathfinder 2e Legacy}”