THE DEPARTURE

When a draconic predator threatens the food supply of a northern village, it is up to a group of heroes to track the creature back to its lair and end the threat it poses.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

THE DEPARTURE

Post by admin »

As the companions slowly awaken from a restful night's sleep in their cozy, multi-layered beds, they are greeted by the bustling sounds of movement reverberating throughout the inn. Other patrons begin to stir, their footsteps and voices echoing through the corridors. Although the inn boasts excellent insulation against the biting cold outside, the interior walls do little to suppress the sounds that permeate the establishment.

Converging in the corridor, Falas and Van coincidentally meet, exchanging greetings before making their way downstairs. Just as they begin their descent, Ixil's voice reaches their ears, calling out to them to wait up. The trio proceeds together, driven by the tantalizing aroma of sizzling bacon wafting from the kitchen. Their hunger intensifying with each passing moment, they quickly locate a spacious table and eagerly seat themselves.

A young lad approaches their table, bearing a basket brimming with freshly baked bread and a small plate of butter. He informs them that their meal will be served shortly, a promise that elicits a symphony of rumbling bellies in response. Moments later, Mazer descends the stairs and catches sight of his companions, joining them at the table. The lad swiftly returns, balancing three plates of steaming food as he places them before Falas, Van, and Ixil, in exchange for their necklaces. As he notices the presence of a fourth companion, the attentive lad swiftly retrieves an additional plate, presenting it to Mazer in exchange for his necklace. A bleary-eyed Siril joins them, a nod of acknowledgement shared between him and the companions. Sensing Siril's arrival, the serving lad promptly retrieves another plate and collects Siril's necklace in return.

However, Zan's absence does not go unnoticed. The companions cast concerned glances around the table, realizing that their gnome friend is nowhere to be seen.

With all five companions gathered, they proceed to enjoy their morning meal together, savoring the delectable flavors that dance upon their taste buds. Yet, a sense of curiosity lingers as they wonder about Zan's unexpected absence, their thoughts and concerns mingling with the aroma of breakfast that fills the air. The Druid probably flew away to greener pastures.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Feel free to discuss and make decisions about what you will do after breakfast

Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Re: THE DEPARTURE

Post by Silverstone »

Falas says a couple of things duribg the meal Hope Zan comes back, i would think a druid shifting into say an eagle would be good for wide scale scouting..... Wonder if local hunters have some pre established shelters for when they are out there, maybe we can use them?...... Anyone need anything else after breakfast or should we head out?

Falas asks the innkeeper Do you happen to know if the local hunters have some basic shelters out in the wilds the way we are heading to hunt the fish stealer... also maybe the name of a friendly local, and where to find them so we could ask more info?
Image Lola: Amazonian Cleric
Image Tover Lastblock, Gnome Fighter 1
JellyBrains
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by JellyBrains »

Van asks the serving boy how far up the coast the forest goes and what White Fang peninsula is like. Otherwise, he fills up with breakfast.
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Once finished with breakfast, Siril says, I'd think Zan would probably not want to come back in. Lets look outside.

With that he'll gather his gear and head out the front door to look around.
Jinxs-3d
BARON
BARON

Post by Jinxs-3d »

Mazer happily snaps down his morning meal.

The gnome antics last night were curious, even by goblin standards, but my god commands me to let others live their lives and respect their decisions. I agree we should get started and ask the locals about shelter if we travel far from the village.
Teucer Argent - Zen Archer
Image Ardrea - Jinx Witch
Image Mazer: Goblin Champion
Image Arkyat, Orc Thaumaturge
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

After finishing his breakfast, Falas rises from his seat and approaches the amiable innkeeper, Rudoff, seeking information about available shelter and someone knowledgeable about the White Fang peninsula. Rudoff kindly informs Falas that there are no known shelters in the bay area, as they would melt away come summer. He suggests that the local fishermen would be the best source of information regarding the bay.

Meanwhile, Van engages in conversation with the serving boy, inquiring about the White Fang peninsula. Unfortunately, the young lad confesses that he has not ventured there personally. However, he has heard accounts of the harshness of the tundra, particularly for those lacking proper shelter and a reliable source of heat.

Mazer enjoys his morning meal with a cheerful disposition, savoring each bite, while Ixil eats in contemplative silence. The bard's energy may still be depleted from his spirited performance the previous night.

Stepping outside, Siril takes in the sights of the small town. He observes the townsfolk beginning their daily activities, yet he notices the absence of the gnome. The weather is clear, but a growing wind hints at a change in the atmosphere. As Siril surveys the surrounding village, his attention is drawn to a man entering the inn with an air of anger. Curiosity piqued, Siril decides to follow the man back inside.

Upon entering the inn, the man marches directly towards Rudoff, his voice carrying enough volume for Siril and the rest of the companions at the table to hear.
More fish were stolen overnight! What good are these guards if they can't even protect our catch? the man exclaims, his frustration palpable. Rudoff sighs and shakes his head upon hearing the news, expressing his hope that the issue is swiftly resolved. He extends a conciliatory gesture, offering the man a beer as they discuss the matter further.
JellyBrains
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by JellyBrains »

Van signals surreptitiously to Siril. In sylvan,I think we should check the ground around this last theft.Even quieter,If it wasn't Zan sneaking breakfast, this is our best chance to get some idea of what we're hunting.
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Siril nods to Van in agreement.

Then stands and approaches the man at the bar, speaking loud enough so the others in the party can hear, My compatriots and I are here to track down this thief. What more can you tell us about this latest theft? Can you show us?
Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

Falas nods at Siril's comments to the fisherman, wolf's down any remaining breakfast and is ready to head out to the fish theft scene.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

The man who brought news of the fish theft turns to Siril, a hint of resignation in his voice. If you've seen the bounty notice, then there isn't much more I can add. Somehow, we were raided again last night. The incidents always happen at the fish drying area to the west of town. You can't miss it, he grumbles, expressing his frustration towards the elusive creature that is devouring his profits. He drowns his dark thoughts in another swig of beer, mumbling a few choice words under his breath.

With little additional information to gather in the inn, the companions make their preparations to leave and investigate the scene of the crime. Ixil, however, shakes his head when prompted to join them. You guys go ahead without me. I don't feel up for chasing after this beast at the moment, he says with a weary smile. Respecting his decision, the remaining four companions head out towards the fish drying area.

As the companions make their way towards the exit, their attention is drawn to a group of individuals who were observing from the back of the eating area of the inn. It is evident from their gear and confident demeanor that these four are also adventurers like the companions themselves. This group approaches the man at the bar, seemingly to discuss the bounty on the beast. Perhaps this other group is aiming to hunt the beast as well?

Upon arriving, they see four villagers huddled together, engaged in a conversation near a ravaged fish rack, the telltale signs of a recent theft evident. Only fish remnants remain on that specific rack, scattered on the ground. A trail in the snow leads directly west, but the swirling snowflakes around the village have already started to obscure it.

The men provide no additional information about the theft, their conversation mostly reiterating the obvious. The fish were stolen sometime during the night, and the guards failed to notice the theft. The companions take in the scene, knowing that they will need to rely on their own skills and instincts to solve the mystery and apprehend the culprit.

To save time
The thief seems to be originating from the west in the direction of the the (currently frozen) WhiteFang Bay! You have 2x options to traverse the bay; By foot or by renting Sleds. The difference is the speed at which you would move - with the Sled being twice the speed of going by foot - and the cost. Because of the increasing annoyance of these thefts, you would be able to rent 2x sleds for 16 sp total should you go that road. Finally, it would be wise to bring some firewood should you head out and are unable to find heated shelter - the cold is dangerous. 1 Bulk of Firewood can burn 1 hour if properly managed. You can bring these either on your backs or you can pile a maximum of 4 Bulks on a single sled (volume being the issue, not the weight itself). The firewood would be free if you get the sleds, of 2 CP per Bulk otherwise.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Apologies from Ixil/Relkyn - he has to bow out of the game due to urgent family issues that require his attentions. So Ixil will remain in the Inn at this time. With Zan's death, you guy are now 4x members, which is fine for this adventure.

OUT OF CHARACTER
REMINDER ALL: (Copied from Discord) Like any other TTRPG, please DO NOT roll 🎲 any skills checks unless you are specifically asked by the DM to roll a skill check!! Rolling 'in advance" will not save any significant amount of time if you monitor your Discord - I will ask you to roll myself directly using Discord

Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

For each person in our group who examines the tracks, I will cast a guidance cantrip on them [using the spells range to not interfere]. If no one searches, I will search for tracks, with guidance spell myself...looking to first confirm its not a 2 legged thief...

i guess we need to rent sleds even if just to hold enough wood for a couple of nights...and to bring back evidence we stopped the thief. Wonder if that other group of adventurers will cause issues.. maybe we should rent sleds soon....
JellyBrains
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by JellyBrains »

Van will take advantage of Falas' Guidance and approach the theft site slowly, with head very low to the ground looking for variations in the surface of the snow that would not show up looking straight down on them; specifically looking for non-humanoid footprints.
OUT OF CHARACTER
What do we know of Zan's death? I don't read messages not for my character.

In Sylvan,to Falas and Siril,I'm reconsidering my opinion on the sleds. Anyone else?
Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

OUT OF CHARACTER
not in front of my sheet atm, dont think i speak sylvan, but i do speak elvish i think

ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Sleds would be handy, but my coins are few. We'll definitely want some wood.

Siril will examine the tracks as best he can. Try to determine what creature it is and anything else about the situation.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Falas: Uses Guidance on those checking the trail.
Siril & Van: Checking the Trail: You guys roll an Arcana check to Recall Knowledge and add +1 from the Guidance of Falas.

Q: What do we know of Zan's death? I don't read messages not for my character.
A: As far as Van knows, Zan departed the Inn as he did not want to sleep there. He did not mention where he was going.

Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

Falas says I have some coins still, but if we are not splitting the sled cost evenly across all of us, then I suggest those who help cover sled costs get reimbursed from the reward before iits overall split, to keep cost even.. thoughts?
Jinxs-3d
BARON
BARON

Post by Jinxs-3d »

Mazer agrees with renting the sleds. The speed alone might be worthwhile, and I definitely wouldn't be against staying warm. I'm afraid I'm no good with tracking. I wouldn't know where to begin.
JellyBrains
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by JellyBrains »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Van just assumes all elves and gnomes speak Sylvan.

OUT OF CHARACTER
I have no idea why arcana. Is this an "you'll understand later" situation?

Van agrees that it is fair to reimburse rentals before split. He really does think it's fair and he's worried that if he does the renting he will be broke.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

OUT OF CHARACTER
JellyBrains wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:56 am I have no idea why arcana. Is this an "you'll understand later" situation?
This was discussed in Discord here.

Have faith? :P

Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

Falas says i can chip in 6 silver towards sleds. Also makes sense to see if we all share a language besides common to talk more privately... i know common and elvish, and celestial, but likely thats not very useful. Mazer do you happen to know elvish?
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

OUT OF CHARACTER
I will allow ONE of you to Make an Impression (DC15) to attempt to LOWER the price for renting the two sleds required. START with deciding {I suggest discussing this in Discord} WHO amongst the 4x of you will roll for this; Guidance is not applicable here. Here are the possible results depending on the Roll:

Critical Success: The sleds will be loaned FREE of charge for the duration of your trek.
Success: The sleds will be 8 SP.
Fail: No change to the price.
Critical Failure: The sleds will be 24 SP to rend, as they do not trust you to return them.

Bonus Adjustment: If the person rolling the Make an Impression skill check wishes, he can ROLEPLAY (instead of skill-playing) exactly what he will say to convince the lender to get a lowered price; Depending on the arguments presented, a bonus of +0 to +3 will be granted by the GM for this (Optional) Role-Play!!!

AID: Other players can AID on this roll, with a Diplomacy check DC 12, with the results listed in the AID action! You need to decide and ROLL the 'aid" BEFORE the main Player tries a "Make an Impression" roll!

@Jellybrains: Still waiting for Van's (optional) Arcana roll. Let me know if you wish to bypass this roll so we can proceed!

Jinxs-3d
BARON
BARON

Post by Jinxs-3d »

Falas says "Mazer do you happen to know elvish?”
In 'Common' Mazer repliesNo, my tall fellow. Goblin and Common are all I speak. When it comes to diplomacy I usually speak with my teeth or morning star. I'm sure one of you is better in this sort of thing.
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Siril will let one of the others haggle for sleds. He continues to examine whatever track or signs he can to understand more about their quarry.
JellyBrains
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by JellyBrains »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Made arcana check. forgot to add +1 for guidance so....5?

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry I was camping and lost all internet for a couple of days.

JellyBrains
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by JellyBrains »

OUT OF CHARACTER
I'm trained in diplomacy, just not particularly good at it. Anyone else have any skill?

Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

Falas asks Did either of you find anything about the fish taker? If they didnt Falas will cast guidance on himself and take a look around as well unless the scene is just too disturbed now...

Falas adds "I have dabbled in negotiation, but likely no where near as good as our bard if he was around, so Van i think its either you or me?".
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

As the companions go further westward from the fish rack area, they easily find what they are looking for. Yet, after inspection, they realize that these tracks are unlike any they have seen before and that leaves them puzzled. The imprints are elegant yet eerie, meandering in a mesmerizing pattern, almost as if a mystical dance took place in the snow. One thing is certain; This is not from any quadruped known to any of them.

The tracks can easily be followed - even by non-professionals. Yet, they head directly westward, over the frozen bay...
Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

Falas says Van, lets say you negoiate and I will help back your efforts
OUT OF CHARACTER
aka, Falas will "aid" on Van's "make an impression" check, let me know when you want me to roll the aid check

Admin Note: Falas was successful with the AID and will provide a +1 circumstance bonus to the roll!
JellyBrains
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by JellyBrains »

Van, with Falas backing him up, seeks out Bjorn to negotiate for two sleds and (hopefully!) abundant firewood. Van makes sure to praise the comforts of the inn, as well as the hospitality of the patrons and staff. Saying a silent, quick payer to the Dawnflower, Van becomes more serious and starts setting out his points for negotiation. Van points out that the party having the use of the sleds are actually to Aaminiut's benefit. The sleds will make hunting down the fish thief twice as fast. The sooner the party captures the thief, the sooner the fishermen can fish without worrying that their catch will be stolen. The sooner the party captures the thief, the less fish will be stolen. With the added mobility of the sleds, the likelihood of catching the thief increases. Van points out that Bjorn as much as admitted that the reward is on the low side. And I hope and expect as a fellow sentient being that the sleds make it more likely that we survive and succeed. Van asks if there is any word of Zan. You can see that keeping such a close eye on the bottom line has already cost us a party member, one that could have been critical to our success! Van looks to see if his words have made any impression. If you are unable to lend us the sleds as part of our effort to end your problem, can you at least pledge to refund us the cost of the sleds when we bring back the body of the thief? For we will bring in your thief.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Van can roll his Diplomacy to Make an Impression!
Add +1 circumstance bonus from Falas, and +2 for your descriptive text! (total +3 with your Diplomacy skill check)
Good Luck!

Return to “[ENDED] {PbP} The Whitefang Wyrm bounty {Pathfinder 2e Legacy}”