Excel2007 and TOS

If you have general questions, here is the place to post them!
Otherwise, if you need help on a specific Tool:
Click HERE for Technical Support for TOS 2nd PRO edition
Click HERE for Technical Support for TOS+
Click HERE for help on TOS CORE
Click HERE for help on the Loot Divider
Click HERE for help on TOS Caravan
Kadh2000
Squire
Squire

Excel2007 and TOS

Post by Kadh2000 »

Hi,

I just discovered your site. I've looked at the downloadable version and created a character or two. Before I commit to buying TOS, I have a question. I own MS Office 2007. Does anyone know how Excel 2007 handles TOS and TOS+?

Why I ask is this: the heroforge sheet is 12.5 or so MB in Excel 2003 and only 4.5 MB in Excel 2007; however the variable names they use in their sheet are illegal in Excel 2007. Does anyone here have experience with the full version of TOS+ in Excel 2007 and how well does it work? I realize compatibility mode allows one to use an Excel 2003 file, however 2007 is a better program.

Thanks,

Kadh, who notes that the TOS demo is superior to the HeroForge sheet by leaps and bounds.
"Cry woe, destruction, ruin, loss, decay;
The worst is Kadh, and Kadh will have his day!"
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Some of the Beta testers are using Excel 2007 without issue.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Re: Excel2007 and TOS

Post by admin »

Kadh2000 wrote:Hi,
I just discovered your site. I've looked at the downloadable version and created a character or two. Before I commit to buying TOS, I have a question. I own MS Office 2007. Does anyone know how Excel 2007 handles TOS and TOS+?

Why I ask is this: the heroforge sheet is 12.5 or so MB in Excel 2003 and only 4.5 MB in Excel 2007; however the variable names they use in their sheet are illegal in Excel 2007. Does anyone here have experience with the full version of TOS+ in Excel 2007 and how well does it work? I realize compatibility mode allows one to use an Excel 2003 file, however 2007 is a better program.
One of the Excel 2007 used noted one problem in 2007 - here is what he mentioned:
klakxor wrote:I have been using 2007 for a little while now, and the only issue I had was TOS+ did not handle well when running with Multithread processing turned on.
This is a flaw of Excel 2007: You probably need to turn that option OFF (Perhaps TOS+ is too complex for it to work? :D )
Kadh2000 wrote:Kadh, who notes that the TOS demo is superior to the HeroForge sheet by leaps and bounds.
Wow nice!! I'd love to see how TOS+ stacks up versus Hero Forge... But I don't know HF enough to compare it.

Richard
Kadh2000
Squire
Squire

Post by Kadh2000 »

Thanks for the quick replies. I created a character using both TOS and Heroforge, went through six levels of updating, and could post a comparative review if you're interested.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Kadh2000 wrote:Thanks for the quick replies. I created a character using both TOS and Heroforge, went through six levels of updating, and could post a comparative review if you're interested.
TOS is not as advanced as TOS+, as you can see in this post. TOS+ integrates a lot more then TOS and can be used to play Dynamically, as shown in this small video.

I would assume the best person to 'compare' both would be a subscriber of TOS+ that has used HF previously.

Thank you for offering though !!
R
Kadh2000
Squire
Squire

Post by Kadh2000 »

It appears that when you add the dodge bonus to AC in that video, the AC goes from 12 to 11, dropping instead of increasing. Regardless, pretty cool.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Kadh2000 wrote:It appears that when you add the dodge bonus to AC in that video, the AC goes from 12 to 11, dropping instead of increasing. Regardless, pretty cool.
I invite you to check again... :)
If you look carefully, you'll noticed that the AC actually goes from 12 -> 10 because of the RAGE ability which is activated on the Character! Then adding Dodge, would raise it by 1 (p.s. I dunno if a raging barbarian can decide who is the target of his dodge feat, but that is really not the point)

By the way, because of the high number of people using the Sheet, 'obvious' errors are extremely rare!! If I make any obvious mistakes, the community will be quick to point the errors of my way :)

Cheers!

Richard
meridock
Soldier
Soldier

Excel 2007 - and TOS (not +)

Post by meridock »

I have had a number issues in the non-plus version. While it "works" saving the sheet has validation errors. Is the TOS+ that different?
meridock
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Yes, I would say that TOS+ is that different from TOS. I sometimes forget how to use TOS now that I have gotten so into TOS+.

admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Re: Excel 2007 - and TOS (not +)

Post by admin »

meridock wrote:I have had a number issues in the non-plus version. While it "works" saving the sheet has validation errors. Is the TOS+ that different?
What do you mean exactly ??
What version of excel are you using?

R
meridock
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Excel 2007 - and TOS (not +)

Post by meridock »

admin wrote:
meridock wrote:I have had a number issues in the non-plus version. While it "works" saving the sheet has validation errors. Is the TOS+ that different?
What do you mean exactly ??
What version of excel are you using?

R

Well - I just downloaded a fresh copy of the sheet - and loaded a previously saved character. this resulted in a run time error "52" the Excel then goes "hourglass busy." It never seems to recover from.

then I open a fresh copy
enable macros
Enter the registration code
Save as "2003" version and I get

I cleared the "check compatibility" box in the below and hit continue. "Busy" hourglass for like "ever" I can click between tabs while "busy." I can enter some data
as shown

all in all it seems flaky (long pauses and such - dunno if is a simple compatibility setting in excel, a function in 2003 that is not implemented in 2007, or what)
meridock
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Have you disabled multi processor and autosave. I use 2007 with little or no problems. Sure, the save time is a little longer then with TOS, but again that is because TOS+ is much more then TOS.

The error when saving is something I get too. Although there is nothing that breaks, it simply gives you possible problems in saving it in 2003 format. I have found that you can save the Sheet in Excel 2007 format without any problems (at least I haven't had any problems). The one caveat to that is each time you download a new version, you will need to open it and save it to 2007 format.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

He is using TOS, not TOS+.

irdeggman
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by irdeggman »

Hmm I just started using 2007 with TOS and was initially confused by that whole compatabiity issue. (You can't turn it off).

But when I saved as excel 97-2003 workbook I had no trouble.

If you somehow saved the file as a 2007 one instead you will have other compatability issues.

2007 has a whole lot more power than does 2003.

That warning always shows up, unless you check the box off (that is don't check for compatability).

You will also always need to enable the macros before attempting to load a character.

Oh and it does take a long time to save sheets in TOS (TOS+ is longer due to size).
Claim your Birthright!!!
http://www.birthright.net/

Image - Krunch the handsomest half-giant
meridock
Soldier
Soldier

Post by meridock »

So here I am...

I think it all works now - I took the advice of the above and turned off the multi-proc support and autosave - opened and saved a few times. I did have to recreate the Character in the lastest version and save in 2007 + macro enabled format. I *think* it is working.
meridock
Sunbolt
EARL
EARL

Post by Sunbolt »

meridock wrote:...and save in 2007 + macro enabled format. I *think* it is working.

I think that's the key right there. Don't save it in older formats, save it '07 WITH MACROS and it should work for both TOS and TOS+. I don't even bother messing with the autosave or multi processing functions - and I've never had a problem.
Omegaman
BARON
BARON

Post by Omegaman »

Not that this is relevant or anything, but uh, how do you make those cool little screen shots that were posted here. (I obviously know next to nothing about computers, yes I know that)
It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest. Adam Smith
meridock
Soldier
Soldier

Post by meridock »

Omegaman wrote:Not that this is relevant or anything, but uh, how do you make those cool little screen shots that were posted here. (I obviously know next to nothing about computers, yes I know that)
I do it the old fashion way "Print Screen" And paste into paint brush.
Crop out the stuff in the background, save. Upload to photobucket account.
meridock
Kadh2000
Squire
Squire

Post by Kadh2000 »

So far I've managed to crash it once, but couldn't repeat the process so just an unlucky glitch. Excel 2007 seems to be having less trouble with TOS+ than it did with the TOS demo.
Mantrai
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Mantrai »

After turning off the autosave feature and saving as excel 2007 with macro it has worked great no problems at all.
harchunk
Squire
Squire

Post by harchunk »

So from reading everyone's posts would TOS+ work with 2007 excel, because i cant get it to work with my current version of 2002
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

harchunk wrote:So from reading everyone's posts would TOS+ work with 2007 excel, because i cant get it to work with my current version of 2002
Are you using this version of excel 2002?

Excel 2002:
Sunbolt: Microsoft Excel 2002 (10.6823.6817) SP3

R
harchunk
Squire
Squire

Post by harchunk »

No, Microsoft Excel 2002 (10.2614.2625)

I tried to download the SP update for excel but my discs were stolen last year and you need the discs to do it.

Return to “Twiglet's Tavern [Open to All]”