TOS+ without a laptop

If you have general questions, here is the place to post them!
Otherwise, if you need help on a specific Tool:
Click HERE for Technical Support for TOS 2nd PRO edition
Click HERE for Technical Support for TOS+
Click HERE for help on TOS CORE
Click HERE for help on the Loot Divider
Click HERE for help on TOS Caravan
Razgriz
Templar
Templar

TOS+ without a laptop

Post by Razgriz »

Ok so I've been using TOS for probably about two years, and for a long time i thought about upgrading to TOS+ but wasnt sure if I wanted to yet.

Now my questions is I do not have a laptop therefore everything i do will be done at my house and then printed up, Is TOS+ worth it for me?
People in glass houses sink ships
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Re: TOS+ without a laptop

Post by shai-hulud »

In my opinion, yes. The amount of customization of your characters, and the amount of time and effort that can be saved when generating new characters, is tremendous. Once you learn how everything works, figuring out what bonuses mean is a snap. TOS was great, but when you have bonuses from a bunch of different sources and you try to update, it becomes tedious figuring out where those bonuses originated. In TOS+, it tracks where everything came from, deals with the stacking rules, and just shows you the final result. With the community resources, most anything that you want to generate can be created with community support and saved for use with any character you want to make.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
Nargath
BARON
BARON

Post by Nargath »

I would say that yes it is.

Even though the Laptop sheet is a big plus for TOS+ (excuse the pun), it is nowhere near the only reason why it is a good upgrade over vanilla TOS. The level of customisation is great, the community support is really active for TOS+, whereas support for TOS has pretty much stopped from what I've seen, and even without the Laptop sheet, TOS+ can just do more stuff than TOS ever could.

I'm in a similar situation to you. I have TOS+, but my new gaming group is a paper-based group, and there are no free power points near where we play for me to plug in my laptop. Yes I lose out on being able to punch things up on the fly for my character, and have it dynamically change accordign to what is affecting him at any given time. But I don't feel that I am missing out on it too much.

The way I combat the lack of the Laptop sheet is if you have a character that will have multiple "states" (a state would be anything that significantly changes your stats and has a flow-on affect, for example a barbarian with his Rage, or a Cleric that can cast Bull's Strength), then I print off a copy of my character sheet for each one of the states my character can acheive. So for a barbarian, I would have three character sheets, one for when he is normal, one while he is raging, and one while he is fatigued after his rage has ended. That way you capture the biggest changes to your character without having adjust things on the fly and scribbling in the margins.

But yes, I still see TOS+ as a massive step-up over TOS, and you just can't beat the added level of customisation and support it gives you.
Image Xandos
Razgriz
Templar
Templar

Post by Razgriz »

Ok thanks guys my decision has been made.

IT WILL BE BOUGHT!!
People in glass houses sink ships

Return to “Twiglet's Tavern [Open to All]”