Character (Re-re-)Creation Thread

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Character (Re-re-)Creation Thread

Post by patransom »

Before submitting your character, please skim the new Setting and Background topic. I know, it's a LOT of reading, but at least look over the first three posts, since they lay out the basic setting. To start with, the game takes place in the town of Rastingdrung in the Ghinor Highland region of the Wilderlands of High Fantasy. We will be playing using the Pathfinder rules. The following character creation rules apply to both new players and to d20 Modern characters who are being recreated/reincarnated in the new setting.

Ability Scores

You have three options:
  1. Keep the ability scores from your existing d20 Modern character (if you were in the original game).
  2. Roll 4d6, dropping the lowest die, for each ability score in order (STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA). Then reroll any one ability score, keeping it if it's higher, and switch any two.
  3. Roll 4d6, dropping the lowest die, six times and arrange as desired.
If you don't have at least one score of 15 or better, or your total ability modifiers are less than +2, you can do the whole thing over again until you get something that meets those criteria.

Level, XP, and Hit Points

Start at 3rd Level. Hit points will be maximum at each level. We will be using the fast advancement column on the experience chart from the PF core rulebook. XP to start will be as follows:
  1. CGM3's character (formerly Eric): 3,768
  2. tdsprouse's character (formerly Tex): 3,668
  3. duniagra's character (formerly Marcus): 3,443
  4. Any new players joining the game: 3,300
Class and Race

Class can be anything from the core rulebook. I think classes from the advanced player's guide playtest should be okay, too. Race can be anything from the core rulebook. Even if you are bringing over your d20 Modern character, you do not need to remain human. To help you choose, the following are the most common races (and subraces) in the region, in order of population:
  1. Human (mixed blood)
  2. Dwarf (Mountain Dwarf subrace)
  3. Human (Ghinoran subrace)
  4. Elf (Wood Elf subrace)
  5. Gnome (typical)
  6. Elf (High Elf, i.e., typical)
  7. Halfling (common)
  8. Dwarf (Hill Dwarf subrace)
  9. Human (Gishmesh subrace)
  10. Dwarf (City Dwarf subrace)
  11. Half-Elf (no subrace)
  12. Halfling (Stout stout)
  13. Half-Orc (no subrace)
  14. Human (Kharakhan subrace)
  15. Altanian (custom race)
  16. Amazon (custom race)
When choosing your race, have a look at the setting specific information for the standard races. The subraces are chosen by spending one of your traits (see below). Also, there are some custom races available. If you are interested in any of these, let me know and I will provide you the mechanical details.

Traits

We will be using traits in this game. In addition to the PFRPG Traits built in to TOS+, I have attached a spreadsheet with custom traits that are available for you choose from. The spreadsheet has descriptive details for each custom trait and also has a page with each trait set up for copying directly into the custom feats section of TOS+.

Each character may select THREE traits. However, ONE (and only one) of these traits must be a trait from "birthplace" trait category in the attached spreadsheet. The birthplace traits do not actually provide any benefit. Instead, they identify the character’s region of birth. Recording region of birth in TOS+ is helpful because of two setting-specific house rules:
  • The character’s region of birth affects their starting language options, including determining what their “common” language is.
  • Knowledge checks relating to a region other than your birth region have an increased DC.
In addition to the ONE birthplace trait, each character may select TWO other traits, for a total of THREE traits. As usual, you may not select more than one trait from the same category of traits (there is one minor exception for half-elves discussed below). The categories of traits are:
  1. Combat Traits (built in to TOS+)
  2. Faith Traits (built in to TOS+)
  3. Magic Traits (built in to TOS+)
  4. Social Traits (built in to TOS+)
  5. Campaign Traits (in the attached spreadsheet)
  6. Local Traits (in the attached spreadsheet)
  7. Subrace Traits (in the attached spreadsheet)
Some additional explanation about the “Subrace” traits: these traits distinguish your character from the generic (mixed blood or common) version of your race. They generally provide "racial" bonuses instead of "trait" bonuses, which can be a nice benefit if you want to really stack up some bonuses. In general, character may select only one of these subrace traits. Half-elves, however, may select one human subrace trait and one elf subrace trait, if desired. You are not required to select a subrace trait. You may choose your two traits from the other categories.

Gold and Equipment

I have changed my mind about bringing over the modern equipment (sorry). Instead, start with gold and mundane equipment from the PF core rulebook equal in value to the maximum gold for a 1st level character of your first class. Yes, I know you are 3rd level character. When the game restarts, the first thing we will do is divide up a pile of loot that the characters have found during their adventure in the Whispering Cairn. It needs to be re-divided because most of it gets converted from modern loot to PF-appropriate loot. The pile of loot should bring you up to reasonable (or slightly poor) wealth for 3rd level. And you will be able to go shopping right away.

Alignment and Religion

Characters may be of any alignment, although I prefer that, if you decide to play an evil character, you aren't the sort of evil that plans to kill all your travelling companions and take their loot... Far and away the most common alignment in the Wilderlands is True Neutral (40% of the population), followed by equal proportions of LG, CE, CG, and LE (12-16% each). The NG, NE, LN, and CN alignments are uncommon. In general, however, the great and powerful rulers of the major City States are evil, often Lawful Evil. Don't expect a lot of sympathy from the authorities or their minons...

Most characters should choose a deity, even those who aren't divine casters. This post in the background thread offers suggestions for deity selection. If none of those suit your character, I have a huge list of deities (more than 200) with domains, favored weapons, etc.

Languages

Please remember to fill in the language section of TOS+. Languages are important in this setting and campaign. Per the languages post of the background thread, there is no common tongue in this setting and a number of setting-specific languages are available. Your choice of Birthplace trait will determine which language is "common" for your character. The primary language spoken in the region where most of this campaign will take place is Ghinoran. If Ghinoran is not your character's "common" tongue, I strongly recommend you spend a bonus language or skill point to learn it.

Also, although literacy is uncommon in the Wilderlands, PCs (except Barbarians) are exceptional people and therefore assumed literate (i.e., you can read any language you speak).

Character Background

Please review the post explaining what's happened up to now. Even if your character is a recreated/reincarnated d20 Modern character, that's what happened to them, as far as their memories are concerned. Thus, your character should have a background that fits into what happened in that post. Really all that's needed is a reason for your character to be in Rastingdrung, at loose ends and willing to go adventuring. The "Local" Traits in the spreadsheet provide some pretty good suggestions as to what your character might have been doing in Rastingdrung. Even if you don't choose one of those traits, you can still use them as your reason for being in town.

Essentially, the minimum I need from you as far as background is one sentence explaining what your character was up to in Rastingdrung prior to the (presumed) Whispering Cairn adventure. However, if you choose to write a more detailed background, there will be some kind of bonus for you (XP or a nifty item or something).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: Character (Re-re-)Creation Thread

Post by patransom »

Go ahead and post any character creation-related questions you have in this thread. When you've got your character ready post the TOS file here, too.

Also, if you could post what class you're thinking about, it would help. I'm going to try to recruit one or two new players and they might like to know what the party needs.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

patransom wrote:Go ahead and post any character creation-related questions you have in this thread. When you've got your character ready post the TOS file here, too.

Also, if you could post what class you're thinking about, it would help. I'm going to try to recruit one or two new players and they might like to know what the party needs.
Is there a way to have a specialized sorcerer? Or a spontaneous casting wizard? I was starting out in the line of an arcanist, the smart hero goes mage/techno mage and goes archmage.

I'll have to look at the sorcerer and read up on the bloodlines and compare that to the wizard.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

are we still kinda 'limited' on teh theme of our new toon (being similar to out d20 Modern character), or is it more open than first thought?
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

tdsprouse wrote:are we still kinda 'limited' on teh theme of our new toon (being similar to out d20 Modern character), or is it more open than first thought?
It is open to whatever you want to do.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Hmm, methinks the campaign traits have been mysteriously omitted from the spreadsheet... nefarious forces must be at work!

And while it's not in any official Paizo release, would this be acceptable?
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

CGM3 wrote:Hmm, methinks the campaign traits have been mysteriously omitted from the spreadsheet... nefarious forces must be at work!

And while it's not in any official Paizo release, would this be acceptable?
The Campaign Traits are there. Rows 64 to 72 of the details page and 69 to 77 of the TOS+ page.

I am not a fan of psionics. However, I will take a look at that class later this weekend and make a call about it.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Huh! That's not the spreadsheet I downloaded the first time. Menehunes at work.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

I have thought about the soul knife and am okay with it on two conditions:

1. Your race must be Altanian, Altani Elf (or Altani Half-Elf), or Highland Halfling (psionic powers occur only among those races)
2. There are several things I don't like or don't understand about that adaption of the class; we will have to collaborate on making some changes...

If you're okay with those conditions, we can discuss further.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Also, if anyone is interested, the attached has the game stats for the four custom races.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

patransom wrote:I have thought about the soul knife and am okay with it on two conditions:

1. Your race must be Altanian, Altani Elf (or Altani Half-Elf), or Highland Halfling (psionic powers occur only among those races)
2. There are several things I don't like or don't understand about that adaption of the class; we will have to collaborate on making some changes...

If you're okay with those conditions, we can discuss further.
I'll have to think about that. My original concept was a Gishmesh from the Vally of the Ancients who found an old manuscript -- a translation in Gishmesh from an unknown source, an artifact left behind by a Tarantian explorer rather than one of the forgotten civilizations -- which allowed him to learn the way of the soul knife; he came to Ghinor because notes in the manuscript indicated the original work may have originated there and been salvaged by one of the old realms of the Valley (think of an Italian finding a Latin text by a Roman which translated a work the Roman found in Egypt that was actually from Atlantis) and he hoped to find further information.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

That's an interesting enough background that I can see dropping the Altanian requirement. I can hook it into the campaign plot, too...

I'll PM you tomorrow with my thoughts about what I'd prefer to change about the Soul Knife adaption.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

patransom wrote:That's an interesting enough background that I can see dropping the Altanian requirement. I can hook it into the campaign plot, too...

I'll PM you tomorrow with my thoughts about what I'd prefer to change about the Soul Knife adaption.
I've been busy on my end, and had not much time to really read up on all this. I have nothing done yet, but I'll try and get going on this.
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

sorry, i'm slacking. I've got something, let me put the last few things in place and i'll get it posted.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

tdsprouse wrote:Also, being a hill dwarf, his goblin/orc hatred also applies to trolls. which i wanted to make my favored enemy, they are listed as Humanoid (Giant) in the pathfinder bestiary, but that is not an option on TOS. so a put Monstrous Humanoid. Should i pick something else for it to apply to trolls?
Just use Giant. Trolls are classified as giant-types in D&D 3.5, which is just another way of saying Humanoid (giant). Or you can just type in "Humanoid (giant)" (you're not limited to the selections in the combo box).
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

thanks, ill do that.
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

I would be interested in bringing in an Amazon Cleric. I have not rolled this up yet, but I could have it done by tomorrow.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

kabkal - an Amazon Cleric would be welcome. I assume you saw the file with the PF stats for the Amazon race? I haven't adapted it to TOS+ yet, so let me know if you need help doing that. Also, I need to figure out the PF stats for the special "Amazon" armor (since you will certainly want to use it). I will try to do that sometime tomorrow...

Quick comments from preliminary review of the characters submitted so far:

Marcus:
  • You have chosen five traits. Maybe it wasn't clear from the first post, but you should have only three traits (one birthplace and two others). Depending on which ones you drop, you may need to revise other things (e.g., equipment, languages).
  • Please put the link to your IC roll for your ability scores somewhere in the sheet (XP page, or notes or something).
  • Please pick a deity (there are very few atheists in the Wilderlands).
Cyrius:
  • You've only taken two traits. You don't have to take your third trait, but you're only hurting yourself if you don't :)
  • The background is excellent. I will PM you tomorrow with comments on that and your other notes in the text file.
Texudus:
  • You need to pick two more languages (from your INT bonus). Available choices would include: Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Terran, and Amazon
  • If you want the armor expert trait, make a custom version of it called something like "Armor Expert (bug fix)" and just adjust your armor check penalty manually until the bug gets fixed.
  • Yes, either pick Giant or type in Humanoid (Giant) for your favored enemy.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

patransom wrote:Quick comments from preliminary review of the characters submitted so far:

Marcus:
  • You have chosen five traits. Maybe it wasn't clear from the first post, but you should have only three traits (one birthplace and two others). Depending on which ones you drop, you may need to revise other things (e.g., equipment, languages).
  • Please put the link to your IC roll for your ability scores somewhere in the sheet (XP page, or notes or something).
  • Please pick a deity (there are very few atheists in the Wilderlands).
I'm looking at what you posted and you say clearly "In addition, each character may select TWO other traits.", but if this new line was just a continuation of the list above it, then is was confusing. I'll have to take some time to figure this out now since your meaning was not as it seemed. Please make it more clear in your post. This really screwed me up now. :wink:
patransom wrote:Traits

We will be using traits in this game. In addition to the PFRPG Traits built in to TOS+, I have attached a spreadsheet with custom traits that are available for you choose from. The spreadsheet has descriptive details for each custom trait and also has a page with each trait set up for copying directly into the custom feats section of TOS+.

Each character may select THREE traits. However, one (and only one) of these traits must be a trait from "birthplace" trait category in the attached spreadsheet. The birthplace traits do not actually provide any benefit. Instead, they identify the character’s region of birth. Recording region of birth in TOS+ is helpful because of two setting-specific house rules:
  • The character’s region of birth affects their starting language options, including determining what their “common” language is.
  • Knowledge checks relating to a region other than your birth region have an increased DC.
In addition, each character may select TWO other traits. As usual, you may not select more than one trait from the same category of traits (there is one minor exception for half-elves discussed below). The categories of traits are:
  1. Combat Traits (built in to TOS+)
  2. Faith Traits (built in to TOS+)
  3. Magic Traits (built in to TOS+)
  4. Social Traits (built in to TOS+)
  5. Campaign Traits (in the attached spreadsheet)
  6. Local Traits (in the attached spreadsheet)
  7. Subrace Traits (in the attached spreadsheet)
Some additional explanation about the “Subrace” traits: these traits distinguish your character from the generic (mixed blood or common) version of your race. They generally provide "racial" bonuses instead of "trait" bonuses, which can be a nice benefit if you want to really stack up some bonuses. In general, character may select only one of these subrace traits. Half-elves, however, may select one human subrace trait and one elf subrace trait, if desired. You are not required to select a subrace trait. You may choose your two traits from the other categories.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Rereading, I can see how someone could get confused by the traits part of the post. I've edited it to try to clarify.
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

patransom wrote:kabkal - an Amazon Cleric would be welcome. I assume you saw the file with the PF stats for the Amazon race? I haven't adapted it to TOS+ yet, so let me know if you need help doing that. Also, I need to figure out the PF stats for the special "Amazon" armor (since you will certainly want to use it). I will try to do that sometime tomorrow...
Yes, I did see the stats for the Amazon race, and I think I have build them into TOS+ correctly (I hope).

Yes, I would like some armor, so I will not add that when finishing up the cleric.

I should have this to you by this afternoon (my time).
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

For kabkal - here are the Amazon Armor stats ready for pasting into TOS+
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

patransom wrote:For kabkal - here are the Amazon Armor stats ready for pasting into TOS+
I only have room for 3 custom armors on my Gear sheet. Am I doing this in the wrong section or should I just paste in the one I am using (which is the easy solution)?
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

kabkal wrote:
patransom wrote:For kabkal - here are the Amazon Armor stats ready for pasting into TOS+
I only have room for 3 custom armors on my Gear sheet. Am I doing this in the wrong section or should I just paste in the one I am using (which is the easy solution)?
Yeah, just paste the one you are using. You could paste a couple others (ones you think you might use later), if you want.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

PMs have been sent regarding Lola and Cyrius. Once I receive minor revisions to those sheets, we will begin!
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Character TOS files have been moved to their own separate threads in the Adventurers forum:

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”