Exploring the Temple of Inanna

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Re: [Active Thread] Exploring the Temple of Inanna

Post by CGM3 »

[talk]The problem with leaving and returning later,[/talk] Cyrius opines, [talk]is the very real possibility that this Kendra might return with reinforcements, and we'd have to fight this battle all over again. Further, Theldrick's journal speaks of corrupting the mine's owner to their cause, as well as other townfolk, so we might be walking into a trap if we go back topside without breaking these cultists' power over them. The journal also mentions that they were going to get rope and ammuntion; perhaps we can find their supplies, and use them ourselves. I think we should at least look into the rest of this complex.[/talk]
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

[talk]That would be fine with me. So, this trap door first, or the trap door at the entrance first?[/talk]
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]Answering some questions while you continue to decide what to do next.

kabkal: yes, rest was enough to get spells back. That's why I asked for new spells for today.

Worrel's knowledge religion check: nothing in Theldrick's Journal rings a bell, although it's obvious he was a worshiper of Inanna. I will assume that, during the rest period, the party pointed out to you the carvings on the walls of the Black Cathedral (see here. You can make an additional knowledge: religion check about that.

Regarding rope, bows, and arrows: if you check the supply carts you accompanied in here, you will find exactly six coils of rope among the supplies. You should all have enough ammunition after resupplying from the Inanna worshipers. If you don't, let me know. There might be more in the carts...

Regarding going out and coming back: I'm not saying you can't try this, but recall how you got in here. You came in through Dourstone Mine pretending to be delivering supplies. If you go out and try to come back that way again, you'll need a similar excuse to re-enter the mine, past the guards and workers. Will Balabar Smenk (your employer) be willing to come up with something when you haven't yet eliminated the guy he seemed really most scared of (The Faceless One)?

tdsprouse: I think you mean check in with Penkawr (the helpful wizard), not Penrod?

And one suggestion: you might try making a summary of strategic information you've learned from Theldrick's Journal. There are important clues about what to expect in the rest of the temple complex in there (in addition to maybe needing six coils of rope). It could benefit the party (and enable some more knowledge checks) if you discuss the key things you learned. I'm just saying...[/ooc]
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[talk]It looks like we're facing an alliance of foes, judging from Theldrick's journal,[/talk] Cyrius observes. [talk]He was apparently a follower of this Inanna goddess, and Kendra may be an acolyte of the same faith as well as, presumably, a renegade Amazon. Then there's this Faceless One, who seems to be a mage, possibly with minions of his own, and may be a worshipper of a deity called Dorak. Third is the one they call the Gnawing Evil, or Grallak Kur, who with his followers -- and the vague description indicates they're some kind of aberration -- and his deity, this Sibilant Beast; I get the impression these last could be the worm-ridden undead. And it would seem there's some kind of complex, either natural or excavated -- the labyrinth -- beneath us where they're searching for something that will invoke an Overgod, whatever that's supposed to be.[/talk]

[talk]Theldrick didn't seem to have a high opinion of his allies, barring Kendra for, er, personal reasons[/talk] -- :blush: -- [talk]but I'm not sure how we can exploit that. As for our next move, I'm for exploring that trapdoor at the entrance.[/talk]
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

[ooc]I realized about the spells after I re-read your post, but have not been able to get to my sheet to post them. Sorry I missed that.
Spells for the day:
Level 0: Stabilize, Guidance, Mending, Purify Food and Drink
Level 1: Bless (times 2), Magic Weapon, Shield of Faith
Level 2: Bull's Strength (times 2), Restoration (Lesser)
Domain Spells: Endure Elements, Fog Cloud

Plus healing spells which can replace any spell listed above.[/ooc]
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost nods in agreement Cyrius’s assessment... [talk]Cyrius makes good sense, however I would like to tackle that last door to the south of the trap door...[/talk] it’s obvious to all that Prost is obsessed with closed or locked doors...
Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola makes no comment about the way to go. She will follow the group in either direction.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[talk]Ah, I'd forgotten about that one,[/talk] Cyrius responds to Prost's suggestion. [talk]Yes, it makes sense to finish this level before going deeper.[/talk]
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

After they are mentioned to him, Worrel takes a moment to study the carvings on the walls in hopes that he will recognize something. This time, he manages to recall a long-ago lesson in near perfect clarity.

[talk]All this talk of the Sets of Sixes in the journal and on the walls of the cathedral must mean something. I agree about the alliance - it looks like Theldrick and Kendra both worshipped Inanna, then persuaded or seduced this mage known as the Faceless One to help them. That one, in turn, led them to the Gnawing Evil, who seems to also be called Grallak Kur.

One of you mentioned that this place was consecrated to Demogorgon. The jornal talks about the Gnawing Evil and the eyeless beasts leading the way here, so they might be demons, too. Of course, the journal mentions that Kendra commands some deom-blooded acolyte.

What is clear is that Theldrick and Kendra came here through the tunnels from where the Gnawing Evil and the eyeless beasts were found. There's mention of a labyrinth where the Faceless One dwells, too. And they started searching under the ruins of a place called Nurenthane

I'll admit ... I'm not an academic. Anyone want to speculate on what this means?[/talk]

[ooc]Knowledge Religion check
[dice]0[/dice]

Knowledge History check
[dice]1[/dice][/ooc]
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]Your summaries thus far are pretty spot on. I've sent a PM to JPetherick regarding the carvings. What he knows will shed further light. Hopefully, he will share it...

In the meantime, here are some additional knowledge checks PCs can make, riffing on what you've discussed so far:
  • K: Religion for Inanna
  • K: Religion for Dorak
  • K: Religion for the Sibilant Beast
  • K: Religion for Demogorgon
  • K: Religion for Angall (assuming JPetherick mentions him :P)
  • K: Planes or K: Dungeoneering regarding the "eyeless beasts" (since it's been suggested they are demons or aberrations)
  • K: Geography or K: Local regarding Nurenthane
[/ooc]
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Kn: Groegraphy regarding Nurenthane
[dice=totalonly]0[/dice]
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel has been fingering his chin while he stares at the wall carvings. Suddenly, he taps his helm lightly and turns to his companions.

[talk]I have it! Long ago, one of my instructors at the monastery told me something about the worshippers of Inanna, Angall and Demogorgon. She said that it was good for taunting and angering their worshippers but maybe there's some truth to it. See that symbol there, the one with the triangle and sixes?[/talk], asks Worrel as he points to the carving on the wall.

[talk]That's supposed to be the symbol for a hidden heretical cult within the churches of those three evil deities and demons. It's called the "Triad of Sixes" and it's adherents come from all three churches. Apparently, that cult is dedicated to somehow combining the three evil deities into a single, more powerful deity that the cult calls the Overgod. The evil churches usually root out any talk of the heresy so it's a good way to sow disruption among those evil-doers. Supposedly, the cult members see some physical resemblance between the three deities since Inanna has six arms, Angall has four arms and two wings and Demogorgon has two heads, two tentacles and a two-forked tail.[/talk]

THINKING: And that gets me thinking about the rest of them, too.

Knowledge: Religion ChecksShow
Inanna
[dice]0[/dice]

Dorak
[dice]1[/dice]

Sibilant Beast
[dice]2[/dice]

Demogorgon
[dice]3[/dice]

Angall
[dice]4[/dice]

Eyeless Beasts (untrained checks)
[dice]5[/dice]

Nurenthane (untrained)
[dice]6[/dice]
Last edited by JPetherick on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Sorry, for my absence people.

Marcus would take the scrolls if no one grabbed them. At this point he would argue that pursuing the escapee would take more time than is worth now. He would suggest examining this other location now is better than returning later, unless we don't have the referred to items in the journal, in which case leaving and reporting our success and returning fully equipped is wisest.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost listens to Worrel's description of what he knows. The Sets of Sixes, the journal, and things about worshippers of Inanna, Angall and Demogorgon. All of this not being anything he every studied, but when he mentions, Nurenthane. That is some place he thinks he recalls hearing about, now if I could just recall what it was.

[talk]I would not want to return to the surface yet. Balabar Smenk would not be pleased I think, were we to return without having accomplish his task.[/talk] Prost comments after hearing some discussion about returning to the surface.

Knowledge check local about Nurenthane: [dice]0[/dice]

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]More PMs sent regarding the knowledge checks.[/ooc]
As the party discusses their findings from Theldrick's Journal, they start to come to a better understanding of what they might be up against: three factions, each worshiping a different deity, but united by a common, evil goal. It seems like they've defeated the first of these factions.

[ooc]The name of this adventure, by the way, is "The Three Faces of Evil."[/ooc]
Seeking to move on to find the other two groups that make up the Triad of Sixes, Prost examines the door on the south side of the Black Cathedral. He finds it locked. The lock itself is deviously clever and, after a moment of examining it, Prost is forced to admit (to himself at least) that it's beyond his skill (even taking 20). The door is made of stone. Tex suspects that, if it's anything like the doors to the north, it is probably very thick.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[talk]Do you think a stone key might open the lock in a stone door?[/talk] Cyrius muses aloud.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

CGM3 wrote:[talk]Do you think a stone key might open the lock in a stone door?[/talk] Cyrius muses aloud.
[ooc]It was already determined that the stone key opens the trapdoor in the cathedral. It does not open the door on the south wall.[/ooc]
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

[talk]Maybe Kendra has the key for this door. Although, from the journal, we'll probably find something to help once we explore down below,[/talk] says the half-elven paladin. [talk]I don't much more except that Dorak is the God of Peace and not connected to any of the evil deities at all, especially the Triad of Sixes. The Sibilant Beast is another name for Demogorgon.[/talk]

[talk]Let's rest and pursue Kendra, then the labyrinth beneath here,[/talk] says Worrel.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Not wanting to admit that he can't open the southern door... [talk]This door can't be opened. It must be barred from the other side[/talk] then looking to Worrel, more to turn attention away from his failure to open the door, Prost comments... [talk]Now I remember, Nurenthane it is south of Rastingdrung. It’s a frontier town built on the ruins of a fallen dwarf city up in the Ghinor Highlands. It's currently home to a mixture of races, most of whom worship Dorak, God of Peace. The townsfolk there excavate the gigantic marble blocks and statues with primitive tools from the ruins, and haul them to Rastingdrung and sell them to foreign merchants. The locals there, the highland dwarves who consider the ruins a tomb, see Nurenthane’s recent success with horror and revulsion.[/talk] Prost pauses and goes on to comment... [talk]There are stories of some “Gnawing Evil” hidden in the ruins, but no clues have been found yet ... till now.[/talk]

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

[talk]Aye.[/talk] Tex grunts his agreement with Prost, having not anything else of substance to add regarding Nurenthane.

[talk]So, down then?[/talk]
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

patransom wrote:
CGM3 wrote:[talk]Do you think a stone key might open the lock in a stone door?[/talk] Cyrius muses aloud.
[ooc]It was already determined that the stone key opens the trapdoor in the cathedral. It does not open the door on the south wall.[/ooc]
[ooc]You've never had a key that opens more than one lock? My house key fits the front and back doors; it seemed a possibility. :P[/ooc]

[talk]Looks like that's the only way we can go,[/talk] Cyrius concurs. [talk]Open 'er up and let's be on our way.[/talk]
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola nods in agreement to heading down before this door.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

[ooc]I'm assuming we've rested up[/ooc] Marcus checks his gear and readies himself for continuing the exploration.
Image Image
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost searchs the wagon again hoping to find more bullets or any equipment his size that may of been missed the first time.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Prost is not at full health. He needs 7 hp. Should I use one of the parties CLW potions to bring him to full heal or will someone use spells? Also, from what the journal said we will need lots of rope & arrows. I only have 1 slilk rope and am carring 23 crossbow bolts that I can't use. Does every one have a ranged weapon and ammunintion?

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

[talk]I could heal you,[/talk] says Worrel once he completes his prayers in the morning. [talk]But with combat possibly coming, I would rather preserve my healing ability.[/talk]

Worrel completes securing his backpack and looks up at his companions. [talk]I have one length of silk rope, too. And I should have 60 arrows, too.[/talk]
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

I thought our plans where to rest before moving on. Was I reading something different? We shouldn't be concering with health or healing.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Prost finds the following in the supply wagons: two medium-size composite longbows (+2 STR), two small masterwork crossbows, six coils of hemp rope, plenty of arrows and crossbow bolts, and food.
Duniagdra wrote:I thought our plans where to rest before moving on. Was I reading something different? We shouldn't be concering with health or healing.
[ooc]You rested overnight, but that was not enough to get everyone to full health. Repeating the status report after resting from here:

Status after full rest:
Worrel: uninjured
Evan Prost: 7 hp damage
Marcus Tilsworth: 10 hp damage
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: uninjured
Lola: 1 hp damage
Texudus TreeBender: uninjured

Go ahead and resolve any additional healing you want to do now, then I'll start a new thread for exploring beneath the trapdoor (I think that's what you've decided to do, right?)[/ooc]
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

[ooc]Then we are resting one more day, so Prost can be at full health. This will save potions. Then we move down.[/ooc]

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[ooc]Waiting another day is really pushing our luck. Let Marcus and Prost quaff healing potions so we can move on.[/ooc]
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Yes, marcus will use at least one potion, maybe two of the cure light wounds.
Image Image

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”