{Modern Setting} The Whispering Cave (Return)

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: [Active Thread] The Whispering Cave (Return)

Post by patransom »

Sahid makes his nausea save (fortunately), and fleeing from the swarm works (surprise). The beetles follow you as far as the stairs before giving up and going to munch on the slasher's corpse.

Anyone who stays behind to keep an eye on the cave can hear the swarm skittering about the lantern room while they wait for their friends to return with some sort of anti-beetle device.
OUT OF CHARACTER
So, what are you going to scavenge or buy to exterminate the beetles? I may require some wealth checks, depending on what you're looking for.

Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

I vote some empty glass jars and gasoline and cloth. Oh yeah, a lighter too if we don't have one.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Molotov cocktails (empty bottles, gasoline, rags, lighter) for the primary attack, a few blowtorches for mop-up (those things can throw flamesix feet if you adjust 'em right.)
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Well, a flamethrower would be nice, but i'm looking at what could be affordable and easily acquired.
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Agree with teh molitov cocktail idea. who's going? anyone know where the hardware store is? I guess for molitov's, we'd just need case beer, couple gallons of gas, and some rags.

I wonder if we could smash 'em good with a snow shovel? Some sort of acid could work too.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

I'm willing to stay here. I'd like to have a look at the mirror frame thing anyhow. If you get beer, make syre they are glass bottles and not cans. two gallons of fuel should be sufficient, but might as well make it five to be safe. the more bottles and fuel, the better. These things would also be less likely to draw attention to us.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

I think Sahid and I should stay here, Eric opines. If we go into town banged up like this, it might draw interest we'd rather avoid, the Seekers or just concerned citizens.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Whoever goes out for supplies will have to make some checks.

Gathering the supplies for Molotov Cocktails is Wealth DC3 (easy enough), but then it requires Craft [chemical] check DC 10 or Intelligence check DC 15 to concoct each one. You certainly have time to take 10 on the craft or INT check, but taking 20 would probably leave your friends waiting far too long...

I'm going to say that a blowtorch or portable welding torch (something sufficiently dangerous enough to be used as a weapon) would be Wealth DC15 (don't forget this could have implications for your wealth bonus) and weigh 5 lbs. It would be used to make melee touch attacks at -4 as an improvised weapon and do 1d6 fire damage.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus would suggest purchasing the components for the molotov cocktails and then he could combine them here at the cave, having experience with chemicals, but not much wealth..
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Ok, I'll go. here's my list, Case of bottled beer (liquor store), 5 Gallon gas can, rags, and fire extinguisher... What?? from hardware store, and i can stop and fill the gas can on the way back. You want me to pick up anything for your injuries? Or is there anything else we need? Any one have a crowbar? that might be useful.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Yeah, good call on the extinguisher. I don't have a crowbar, but that might be useful to have if no one else does. I have some first aid kits and a med kit, but you can pick up additional if you like.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Can we pool our Wealth for whoever goes to get the goods?

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Found Brad's Wealth Tracking sheet, looks like his wealth is currently 6

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Eric's wealth is currently 11

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Marcus's wealth is 4.

Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
You can't pool all your wealth together for this shopping trip, but if Eric allows it, Brad can use Eric's wealth bonus for making the rolls (i.e., Eric can loan him a credit card).

DCs for what you're buying are: DC3 for molotov ingredients, DC5 for a crowbar, DC8 for a fire extinguisher. Using Eric's wealth bonus, these would be automatic without taking 10 and have no negative impact on his wealth. Without taking 10, I am going to say it will take 4 hours for Brad to return with the stuff.

So... unless anyone has anything to add to the shopping list, or Eric objects to Brad using his wealth, we can move on...

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Eric will let Brad use his credit card.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Sweet... I'll be back as soon as I can.

Brad checks the signature on the back...

No worries. He says with a smile...
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus will begin using this time to take detailed records of the mirror frame thing and the murals reflecting the alcove.
OUT OF CHARACTER
what rolls would you need for this. He'll be taking detailed pictures and video. No rolls there.

Search and Knowledge (Arcane Lore) for the "Mirror" frame (1d20+6=15, 1d20+9=23)
Search and Knowledge (Arcane Lore) for each Mural mirroring each Alcove (1d20+6=23, 1d20+9=21, 1d20+6=11, 1d20+9=26, 1d20+6=17, 1d20+9=26, 1d20+6=17, 1d20+9=23, 1d20+6=8, 1d20+9=14, 1d20+6=15, 1d20+9=13, 1d20+6=26, 1d20+9=14)

If interrupted at some point during all this work; arguing/gunshots/fighting, Marcus will end his studies here and look into the commotion of his two partners.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Marcus' examination of the mirror frame reveals nothing more than what Sahid and Professor Stanley already noted: the glyphs are in Vaati, which some scholars believe is the original written form of Auran. The small glyphs around the outside are similar to arcane symbols signifying transportation. The large glyph at the bottom is the name of a high ranking individual (Professor Stanley translated the name as "Icosiol").

His search of the murals reveals nothing unusual or new. The murals are a pretty accurate depiction of the tomb below, except that all the lanterns are present and lit.

Brad returns with the supplies and Marcus, who got A's in all his chemistry classes, whips up several Molotov cocktails (I think you said five, right? No rolls needed; at +9 on craft [chemical], the check is automatic for Marcus).
OUT OF CHARACTER
Let me know who's got the Molotovs, the crowbar, and the fire extinguisher. Looking down the stairs into the green light of the tomb, you can see the swarm. It has wandered over to the westen part of the room.

If you want to bum rush into the room, you can have a surprise round (full round) starting from the top of the stairs. Each square of the stairs counts as 2 for movement. Or you could try to sneak in and see if the swarm notices you...

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Last post wasn't registering as new, so I'm posting again to make sure you see there's been an update.

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Before heading down, Brad will take one Molitov, and the fire extinguisher.

We might be able to make it to the bottom of the stairs before they notice us, dunno. I'm fairly quiet.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Pat, what would the range increment be with these? and would there be any non-proficient or improvised weapon penalties?

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Eric gingerly takes a pair of the Molotov cocktails. I'm not, he tells Brad, but we can try. Say, did you remember to get some matches or cheap cigarette lighters?
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

I'll take one as well, though I'm not exactly very sneaky. At the very least we'd need to be in close reach of them I expect. So with the swarm slow to move, do we need to worry about them spotting us? We can advance part of the way, wait for them to close in, get in range, through, and back away. All we need to do is make sure that the bottles break. Marcus will propose a line-up from 1316 to 1018, let them get within 10', throw, and back away one or more squares, let them close in, throw again, and be done.
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

In reply to Eric, Of course i did.
OUT OF CHARACTER
right?

In reply to Marcus, That sounds good, Lets get to the bottom of teh stairs, i'll take the lead.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Can we take 10 on move silently to get to the bottom of the stairs? taking our time, one step at a time?

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Yes, lighters are among the supplies purchased with the Molotov cocktail supplies. To use a Molotov cocktail, you need to light it first, which requires a move action and both hands free. It will then detonate in 2 rounds, or when it breaks from being thrown, whichever comes first. There is no nonproficiency penalty for splash weapons and the range increment is 10 feet (no penalty within 10 feet, -1 for 11 to 20 feet, etc.).

Yes, you can take 10 sneaking down the stairs. Whether or not you take 10, it will take 3 move actions (1.5 rounds) to reach the bottom of the stairs (row xx24), unless you move at full speed (with a -5 on the check).

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Eric concurs that we proceed slowly and carefully down the stairs (three abreast, taking 10 for Move Silently) to the floor with our Molotovs ready (I assume he can tuck his second one in a pocket) to light and throw if the swarm heads towards us, otherwise wait and see what the situation is should we reach the bottom unnoticed.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Everyone ready? Lets take out time going down the stairs, quietly. when we get down there, we'll try to get into postion, maybe within 30' of the bugs. I'll have to set the extinguisher down before i throw, so someone else will need to go first. someone go for the back of mass, someone go for the front.

when everyone is ready, Brad will slowly move down teh stairs to 1522, and wait for teh first throw to light his and throw.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Before we think of lighting anything, I say we get to the bottom first. Marcus will join the group in descending the stairs slowly.
Image Image
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Sahid looks very uncomfortable with the idea of throwing the molotovs. I think I will let you guys handle that.

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”