Beneath Dourstone Mine

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Re: [Active Thread] Beneath Dourstone Mine

Post by JPetherick »

Filge mutters something under his breath as he follows his companions into the magical darkness. Hopefully he doesn't meet anything dangerous.

[ooc]Double move to 1307[/ooc]
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Trusting his companions to deal with the darkness, Cyrius steps forward (to 0606), then placing his left hand against the wall follows it to 0603, turning and following that wall to 0803, ready to strike if the opportunity presents itself (even if it's a riposte to an attack on him).
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]Waiting on Marcus and Lola[/ooc]
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus will follow the door into the room and follow the door on the other side to the wall. He will then follow the wall as far as he can until he can see.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will pick up her sword and stays at the doors making sure no one gets out, and listens to see if she can tell what is going on.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 1 Continues

Prost moves through the door looking to the north, announcing, [talk]The demon is headed to the double doors to the north.[/talk] He hustles to take cover beside the shed.

Filge mutters something under his breath as he follows his companions into the magical darkness. He moves all the way outside the field of darkness, pleased not to meet anything dangerous on the way. From his new position, with the light from his crossbow bolt, Filge can now see much of the far side of the dark cathedral. Here, the chamber opens into a vast dome. In the center of the domed area is a large square pool of dark liquid. To the north, a stairway carved into the curved wall around the pool ascends to a platform. The chamber’s domed ceiling arches into the darkness above.

[talk]She moved north![/talk] Tex says quickly as he moves into the darkness, getting an arrow ready. He continues to comment, [talk]She's going around this building![/talk]

Marcus follows the doors into the room, then follows the door on the other side to the corner. He turns the corner and follows the wall for a ways...
For MarcusShow
Marcus keeps moving until he nearly bumps into the tiefling lurking in the darkness next to the double doors at 1103! I assumed Marcus would not continue moving after that, since to do so would provoke an attack of opportunity from the woman.
Lola readies her sword and stays at the doors making sure no one gets out, listening to see if she can tell what is going on.

Trusting his companions to deal with the darkness, Cyrius steps forward. Then, placing his left hand against the wall follows it to the corner, turns and follows that wall for some distance, ready to strike if the opportunity presents itself.

Round 2 Begins

From the direction of the double doors on the north side of the big room, everyone hears a loud sequence of knocks in a clear, rhythmic pattern. They then hear Marcus cry out in pain...
For Marcus, Tex, and ProstShow
The tiefling woman is still located at 1103. She knocked on the double doors, then slashed Marcus with her greataxe [4 hp damage]. Although he now knows where the tiefling is, Marcus faces a 50% miss chance due to the darkness. Tex and Prost do not face a miss chance, thanks to darkvision.
[ae]Bless (everyone, +1 attack and saves vs fear): 3.3 min left
Darkness (black area): ? min left

Round 2 Continues
Evan Prost: antitoxin 59.3 min left, darkvision 179.3 left
Filge: false life (7 temp HP) 59.3 min left, mage armor 239.3 min left
Texudus TreeBender
Marcus Tilsworth: mage armor 239.3 min left, antitoxin 59.3 min left, 4 hp damage
Lola: shield of faith 3.3 min left
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: sunrod ~5 hours left
Round 3 Begins
Tiefling: 5 hp damage[/ae]
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Filge moves farther into the room, hoping to catch sight of the tiefling if it tries to escape.

[ooc]Move - to 1605
Ready - fire crossbow at potential target
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice][/ooc]
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus calls out [talk]I could use support over here![/talk]Marcus takes a five foot step back and casts Create Pit at her feet.

[ooc]Marcus is focusing the spell to cover 1103 to 1204. Requires DC 16 Ref to avoid. Pit is 30 feet deep. If remaining adjacent to the pit at the end of her turn, the DC is 18. Assuming I read the spell correctly.[/ooc]
Image Image
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Are we still in the suprise round???

Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

smeltdm wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
Are we still in the suprise round???

No, we've already acted and moved, the encounter is well underway.

Cyrius will cautiously continue advancing to 0903 while saying, [whisper]Marcus, is that you?[/whisper] He is still poised to strike in response to an attack on himself.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost seeing Marcus's fumbling in the dark and confrontation with the tiefling woman as a possible distraction, attempts a sneak attack. Moving quietly, quickly and low Prost moves to 1104 and attacks with his Rapier.

Stealth Check:
[dice]0[/dice]

Rapier attack:
[dice]1[/dice]
Rapier damage:
[dice]2[/dice]

Sneak attack 2d6 plus Bleeding Attack (Ex) +2 damage:
[dice]3[/dice]

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will cautiously move in towards Marcus' voice hoping the darkness does not last long. Her sword is ready for a strike if a foe appears.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]Waiting on Tex[/ooc]
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

[ooc]sorry for delay...[/ooc]

Tex lets his arrow go toward the fiend, them moves forward a few steps to 0904, pulling another arrow.

Atk, w/ Bless, PBP, & DA - [dice=totalonly]0[/dice]
Damage - [dice=totalonly]1[/dice]
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 2 Continues

Moving quietly, quickly and low Prost moves through the darkness. His enemy, unfortunately, can see him perfectly well, but he ducks the slash from her greataxe and counterattacks with his rapier. This does a small amount of damage. [The darkness provides Prost no concealment from the tiefling's darkvision, so his stealth check fails and no sneak attack is possible from the position he moved to. However, the tiefling's AoO missed and Prost still did his normal rapier damage.]

Filge moves farther into the room, hoping to catch sight of the tiefling if it tries to escape. From here, he can see a bit more of the chamber. The stairway continues even higher, leading to more platforms overlooking the mysterious pool of dark liquid.

Tex sails an arrow ineffectively over the tiefling's head, then moves closer.

Marcus calls out [talk]I could use support over here![/talk] He steps back and casts a spell. A pit appears beneath both Prost and the tiefling. Although Marcus is too far away to see the pit itself, he does see two figures appear out of the darkness, as both Prost and the tiefling leap clear. [If the tiefling and Prost remain adjacent to the pit at the end of their next turn, they will require a DC16 Ref save to avoid sliding in. They receive a +2 on the save.]

Lola cautiously moves in towards Marcus' voice hoping the darkness does not last long. Her hearing is accurate, and she arrives right next to Marcus and Cyrius. Fortunately, she realizes the shapes in the darkness are both allies, because her sword is ready for a strike if a foe appears.

Cyrius attempts to advance cautiously and nearly bumps into Marcus. [whisper]Marcus, is that you?[/whisper] he asks, although he's fairly certain it is. He remains poised to strike in response to an attack on himself.

Round 3 Begins

The tiefling finds herself in a difficult position, caught on the edge of a pit and surrounded by foes. With her greataxe, she lashes out angrily at Marcus, but the blow bounces off his Mage Armor. She scrambles, but manages to avoid sliding back into the pit.

From beyond the double doors, everyone can hear the sound of jingling bells. The bells quickly grow louder, as if they are approaching.

[ooc]I've unhidden the tiefling, just to make the map clearer, but Cyrius, Lola, and Filge cannot see her. Marcus would have a 50% miss chance if he attacked her.

I also changed the area of darkness to grey, in an effort to make the map clearer. It's still darkness.[/ooc]

[ae]Bless (everyone, +1 attack and saves vs fear): 3.2 min left
Pit: 5 rnd left
Darkness (black area): ? min left

Round 3 Continues
Evan Prost: antitoxin 59.2 min left, darkvision 179.2 left, needs a DC16 Ref save at +2 to avoid falling in the pit if he remains at 1004
Filge: false life (7 temp HP) 59.2 min left, mage armor 239.2 min left
Texudus TreeBender
Marcus Tilsworth: mage armor 239.2 min left, antitoxin 59.2 min left, 4 hp damage
Lola: shield of faith 3.2 min left
Round 4 Begins
Tiefling: 7 hp damage[/ae]
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Senesing the darkness is never going to end, Lola casts Summon Monster I (Celestial badger) and have it attack as soon as it can.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost not liking his current position decides to make his way to the other side of the pit created by Marcus. Moving through Tex's space...Prost comments to Tex in Dwarven. [whisper]I'm going to the other side of the pit.[/whisper] and Tex sees Prost disappear around the corner of the shed as he runs to 1403. Arriving at 1403, using "Quick Draw" feat, Prost changes weapons to his "MW Halfling Sling Staff".

smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost would be tumbling from 1004 to 0904 to avoid attack of opportunity from the Tiefling.
Acrobatics Check:

[dice]0[/dice]

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus takes a defensive posture and extends his hands toward the tiefling fanning her with arches of electricity.[dice]0[/dice][dice=total]1[/dice]
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Pretty much surrounded by (he hopes) his allies, Cyrius stands ready to respond to any attack on him, meanwhile waiting for further information before moving.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Duniagdra wrote:Marcus takes a defensive posture and extends his hands toward the tiefling fanning her with arches of electricity.[dice]0[/dice][dice=total]1[/dice]
[ooc]I just realized burning hands does not need to be cast defensively, right? If so, then Marcus just casts the spell normally.[/ooc]
Image Image
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Hearing the scuffling and shouts coming from the darkness, Filge waits for the tiefling to break cover. The necromancer figures that he will have a good shot either at it or the first thing coming through the doors, maybe as it is falling into that newly created pit.

[ooc]Ready action - Attack with crosshow, then reload

Crossbow attack: [dice]0[/dice]
Crossbow damage: [dice]1[/dice][/ooc]
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex, having gotten to close to their foe, takes a step back to 0805, and lets his arrow go.

Atk, w/ Bless, PBP, & DA - [dice=totalonly]0[/dice]
Damage - [dice=totalonly]1[/dice]
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 3 Continues

Prost successfully tumbles away from the tiefling, whispering in Dwarven to Tex as he goes [whisper]I'm going to the other side of the pit.[/whisper] He makes his way around the corner of the shed, drawing his sling staff on the way. [You can only run in a straight line, so I moved you a full round without running, including counting double for the squares you tumbled through. Right now, Prost has both his rapier and his sling staff out.]

Hearing the scuffling and shouts coming from the darkness, Filge waits with his crossbow ready for the tiefling to break cover.

Tex, having gotten too close to their foe, takes a step back and lets his arrow go. He misses the tiefling.

Marcus takes a defensive posture and extends his hands toward the tiefling fanning her with arches of electricity. She does not manage to avoid any of the spray, but still takes rather less damage than Marcus would have hoped. [Yes, burning hands must be cast defensively, but you succeeded on the check. The tiefling failed the reflex save, but has some energy resistance that applies, so only 5 hp damage]

Sensing the darkness is never going to end, Lola begins casting a spell to summon some help. [Summon Monster has a casting time of 1 round, so the badger will appear at the start of your next turn.]

Pretty much surrounded by (he hopes) his allies, Cyrius stands ready to respond to any attack on him, meanwhile waiting for further information before moving.

Round 4 Begins

The tiefling steps away from the edge of the pit and continues her assault on Marcus. She slashes him with her greataxe [10 hp damage]

Suddenly, the double doors upon which the tiefling had previously knocked swing open. Most of you only hear this and, therefore, are unaware of whatever might be emerging from behind them. Tex, however, can see a number of humanoid figures lined up in a hallway beyond the door. They are clad in rusty, bloodstained full plate armor. Through a few gaps in the armor, he can see bleached white bones, where he would otherwise expect skin or clothing. As Tex watches, the first two figures in the doorway slide right into Marcus' pit. There are, however, more armored figures waiting in the hallway beyond.

[ooc]The tiefling remains in darkness. Filge cannot see her. Marcus, Cyrius, and Lola would have a 50% miss chance for any attacks.

The magical darkness is the grey area. The black area is there to block off Tex's line of sight to the figures in the hallway. The grid numbers on the map have changed because I added the section beyond the doors.[/ooc]

[ae]Bless (everyone, +1 attack and saves vs fear): 3.1 min left
Pit: 4 rnd left
Darkness (grey area): ? min left

Round 4 Continues
Evan Prost: antitoxin 59.1 min left, darkvision 179.1 left, needs a DC16 Ref save at +2 to avoid falling in the pit if he remains at 1004
Filge: false life (7 temp HP) 59.1 min left, mage armor 239.1 min left
Texudus TreeBender
Marcus Tilsworth: mage armor 239.1 min left, antitoxin 59.1 min left, 14 hp damage
Lola: shield of faith 3.1 min left
Round 5 Begins
Tiefling: 12 hp damage
Bony armored figures (S3, S4, S5, S6): S1 and S2 fell in the pit and are no longer moving
[/ae]
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex steps back to 0819, and tries his luck again.

[dice=totalonly]0[/dice]

[dice=totalonly]1[/dice]
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[talk]Anybody have any idea where she is?[/talk] Cyrius calls out, still poised to respond to an attack.

[ooc]Bearing in mind that he has no idea where the tiefling is. He's literally in the dark.[/ooc]
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

CGM3 wrote:[talk]Anybody have any idea where she is?[/talk] Cyrius calls out, still poised to respond to an attack.

[ooc]Bearing in mind that he has no idea where the tiefling is. He's literally in the dark.[/ooc]
[ooc]Actually, since she's in an adjacent square and just attacked Marcus, Cyrius now knows she's there. He just has a 50% miss chance.[/ooc]
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Filge sees that the doors have opened but he cannot tell anything about what is back there. He moves closer to the edge of the pit, trying to see past the edge of the Darkness and into the corridor. And, for that matter, what has fallen into the pit with such a loud clatter.

Filge then fires the crossbow bolt carrying the Light spell into the corridor.

[ooc]Move to 1419
Fire crossbow at wall by square 1014 (AC 5, like splash weapon)
[dice]0[/dice][/ooc]
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

patransom wrote:
CGM3 wrote:[talk]Anybody have any idea where she is?[/talk] Cyrius calls out, still poised to respond to an attack.

[ooc]Actually, since she's in an adjacent square and just attacked Marcus, Cyrius now knows she's there. He just has a 50% miss chance.[/ooc]
[ooc]Ah, excellent, I wasn't sure if Cyrius was aware of her presence. Simulating darkness and "fog of war" is always problematical when role-playing. :wait:[/ooc]

Cyrius takes a move action to charge his rapier-like mind blade with psychic energy and then thrusts towards where he believes her to be.

[ooc]Let's see if I've figured out how to use the new {dice} rolling thingy correctly. He has a 50% chance to hit, so that's a d100, 1-50 means he (might) hit, then 1d20+9+1 (for the bless), and 1d6+3+1d8 for damage. Here we go...[/ooc]

[dice]4[/dice]
[dice]5[/dice]
[dice]1d6+1d8+3[/dice]

[ooc]Hmm, apparently not, at least the preview shows two Invalid Dice Code! and the code for the third. Back to Invisible Castle,,,[/ooc]

Cyrius takes a poke in the dark at the tiefling female (er, that didn't come out right, did it?): 1d100 = 48, so he almost misses in the dark, 1d20+10 = 14+10 = 24 so he's got a good chance of hitting, which will do a respectable 1d6+3+1d8 = 4+3+5 = 12 damage.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Having taken more damage than his body is accustomed too, Marcus withdraws along the wall to be behind Cyrius, possibly provoking one opp attack from the tiefling.
Image Image

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”