Beneath Dourstone Mine

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Re: [Active Thread] Beneath Dourstone Mine

Post by smeltdm »

Prost looks to Marcus after some though...[talk]I have never been in this Temple before and can report only on what I have seen. We have the trap door in front of the door through which we entered and a single door to the south. There are stairs to the east that circle a dark pool, and without checking that area further I can't say what is to the east.[/talk]
Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

smeltdm wrote:Prost looks to Marcus after some though...[talk]I have never been in this Temple before and can report only on what I have seen. We have the trap door in front of the door through which we entered and a single door to the south. There are stairs to the east that circle a dark pool, and without checking that area further I can't say what is to the east.[/talk]
Marcus gives an understanding grin to Proust after realizing his confusion. [talk]Yes, I was referring to the entrance by which we came. Is that the only way you know of that they have to get in and out of here? Is this section of their lair exclusive to this way in? If so, then we can resort to falling back to the double doors if need be, but I feel we really should be the ones to press them. If only we though of a way to counter their damn darkness ability though.[/talk]
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost thinks about what Marcus has said and tries to recall if he has heard of any other entrance into the cultist temple.

Knowledge: Local
[dice]0[/dice]

Knowledge: Dungeon
[dice]1[/dice]

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]Prost does not know of any other entrances to this place. He does, however, think he recognizes some of the cultists you just killed. He's seen them about town, appearing to be ordinary miners.

I will do a full validation of the ongoing combat later today or tomorrow; sorry for the delay.[/ooc]
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]I might have gotten confused if actions were changed during this last round of party discussion... let me know if I missed anything you wanted your character to do.[/ooc]

Round 10 Continues

After discussing locking the double doors to the north, Prost hustles over and examines them. He finds that they can be locked/unlocked from either side, if one has a key or enough skill with lockpicks (Marcus might recall that he found a key on one of the tieflings).

Filge suggests spiking or barricading the trapdoor, while allowing his skeletons to finish off the remaining guardsman.

The skeletons do their best to obey, but only S7 manages to hit the man, delivering a glancing blow with its mace.

Tex, however, looses another arrow and kills the man.

Marcus stows his crossbow and draws the fancy quarterstaff from the Whispering Cairn. He tests its feel in his hands while discussing with the party what to do next.

Lola makes a suggestion about a fog cloud.

Cyrius seems to agree with Lola, as he turns his attention to the east, perhaps eying the black pool suspiciously, perhaps wondering what lies in darkness farther beyond.

Round 11 Begins

The cultist (C6) who went east to warn his "mistresses" returns, placing himself to partially block the corridor and attacking S8 with his longspear. He connects, but the point hits only hard bone and does no damage (DR stopped all of it).

Two female tieflings (T1 and T2), armed and armored the same as those you fought before, emerge from the east side of the north room. After a glance at the situation in the entry corridor, they skirt the pit and head up the north hallway, drawing bows as they go.

[ae]Bless (everyone, +1 attack and saves vs fear): 2.4 min left
Pit: 2 rounds left

Round 11 Continues
Evan Prost: antitoxin 58.5 min left, darkvision 178.4 min left
Filge: false life (7 temp HP) 58.5 min left, mage armor 238.4 min left, spectral hand (2 hp) 3.9 min left
Filge's commanded skeletons (S4, S7, S8)
Texudus TreeBender
Marcus Tilsworth: mage armor 238.5 min left, antitoxin 58.4 min left, 3 hp damage
Lola: shield of faith 2.4 min left
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: sunrod ~5 hours left
Round 12 Begins
Cultist C6: uninjured
Tieflings T1 and T2: uninjured
[/ae]
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Filge allows his skeletal slaves to deal with the returned cultist. The human necromancer then casts a spell and uses the spectral hand to attack one of the tieflings.

[ooc]Cast Chill Touch, targeting T1
Touch Attack = [dice]0[/dice]
Damage = [dice]1[/dice], 1 Str damage (Fort DC 15 to negate)[/ooc]
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will cast the fog cloud starting in the xx14 row and going back down the hallway. This should give us 5' inside the doorway to see what steps out and arrow it or attack it.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex targets the farthest tiefling (T1) and lets fly.

atk, w/ DA and bless
[dice=totalonly]0[/dice]
[dice=totalonly]1[/dice]
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost is holding action, till cultist C6 is dropped.

When C6 drops Prost will move to 1113, quietly, and using the corner for cover will peek to the left and let loose a bullet at T2.

Stealth check: [dice]0[/dice]

Halfling Sling Staff attack: [dice]1[/dice]

Halfling Sling Staff damage: [dice]2[/dice]

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius will also wait until the cultist at C6 is taken down, then advance to 1013 (which may distract the tiefling priestess at T2 from Prost) and fling his mind blade at T2.

[ooc]+9 to hit with the Bless, damage is 1d8+3+1d8 [or 2d8+3] (psychic strike still charged)[/ooc]

[dice]0[/dice]

[dice]1[/dice]
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]Waiting on Marcus[/ooc]
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus holds his action until he has targets in range.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 11 Continues

Prost waits for the cultist to go down...

Filge allows his skeletal slaves to deal with the returned cultist. He casts a spell, sending the spectral hand to attack one of the tieflings. Unfortunately, his aim is quite poor and the tiefling easily ducks the hand.

The first of Filge's skeletons smites the last cultist with a swift blow from its mace. With the target gone, the rest pause to await directions.

Prost moves stealthily, but swiftly, to the front line and fires off a sling bullet at the front tiefling. Because she didn't notice him sneaking past the skeletons, the tiefling is unaware. The bullet catches her in the head and fells her. [Because you moved your full speed, I applied a -5 penalty to your stealth check. The tiefling still didn't spot you, so you hit and I added your sneak attack damage, which was enough to kill her.] Prost catches a glimpse of the room beyond the hall. It is long and narrow with halls leading east and west, as well as north. There are suits of armor along most of the walls, although 8 of these are missing (they were the skeletons).

Tex targets the farthest tiefling (T1) and lets fly, but misses.

Lola casts her fog cloud, obscuring everyone's view of the next room and the hallway beyond it.

Cyrius advances into the fog and throws his mind blade in the general direction of where he remembers the tiefling being. He must have remembered wrong, because he hears no cry of pain [50% miss chance from the fog proved the downfall of this attack]

Round 12 Begins

Beyond the cloud of fog, the tiefling does... something
Perception check (DC13 for Cyrius and Prost, DC14 for Marcus, DC…Show
You hear the sound of doors opening and footsteps moving away
[ae]Bless (everyone, +1 attack and saves vs fear): 2.3 min left
Pit: 1 round left

Round 12 Continues
Filge: false life (7 temp HP) 58.4 min left, mage armor 238.3 min left, spectral hand (2 hp) 3.8 min left, chill touch 3 left
Evan Prost: antitoxin 58.4 min left, darkvision 178.3 min left
Texudus TreeBender
Marcus Tilsworth: mage armor 238.4 min left, antitoxin 58.3 min left, 3 hp damage
Lola: shield of faith 2.3 min left, fog cloud 39.9 min left
Round 13 Begins
Tiefling T1: uninjured, location unknown[/ae]
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

While materializing his mind blade, this time in its rapier form (a move action), Cyrius strains his senses to determine what is transpiring beyond Lola's fog cloud--

[ooc]Perception 1d20+8 (+1 if determining surprise, as per his Caravan Guard trait):
[dice]0[/dice][/ooc]

--and informs his companions, [talk]Hey, it sounds like somebody's taking the better part of valor and retreating.[/talk] With the pit still blocking the way, he charges his weapon with energy for a psychic strike (another move action).
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

[dice=total]0[/dice][talk]The pit shouldn't last much longer.[/talk]
Marcus waits for an enemy to appear.
Image Image
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will look while holding her action with sword drawn.

perception: [dice]0[/dice]
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost curses the fog under his breath and strains to see or hear anything....[whisper]Blasted fog. How are we to see in this?[/whisper]

Perception check:
[dice]0[/dice]

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Filge waits to use the magical energy from his spell since it was not expended on the tiefling. He cannot himself determine what has happened beyond the fog cloud, but relies upon what his companions have related. With no apparent enemy, he issues a simple command to the skeletons.

[talk]Guard us.[/talk]

[ooc]Perception:
[dice]0[/dice][/ooc]
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

[talk]Super, now we cant see anything.[/talk] Tex holds action until the fog is gone.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

[talk]Well, the fog was a tactical plan, but with no one coming, through it, we have little to do. Should we just advance? They could be waiting for just that.[/talk]
Image Image
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost not wanting to waste time waiting for the fog to clear... [talk]Filge, hey I'm coming out of this fog. How about you telling your new friends not to attack me. I'm up for checking out that door to the south and the rest of the room.
By sounds of things up here, I would agree with Cyrius these guys beat a hasty retreat. We could spend a little time checking out the area till this fog clears. It is going to clear? Right?[/talk] Prost starts making his way to the door to the south @ 1122.

Perception check:
[dice]0[/dice]

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 12 Continues

Filge waits to use the magical energy from his spell since it was not expended on the tiefling. He cannot himself determine what has happened beyond the fog cloud, but relies upon what his companions have related. With no apparent enemy, he issues a simple command to the skeletons: [talk]Guard us.[/talk] The skeletons do just that, waiting to defend the party.

Prost curses the fog under his breath and strains to see or hear anything....[whisper]Blasted fog. How are we to see in this?[/whisper]

While holding his action, Tex complains, too, [talk]Super, now we cant see anything.[/talk]

Marcus explains, [talk]Well, the fog was a tactical plan, but with no one coming, through it, we have little to do. Should we just advance? They could be waiting for just that.[/talk] The pit disappears.

Lola holds her action, sword drawn.

Cyrius materializes his mind blade, this time in its rapier form, and charges it with energy for a psychic strike. [talk]Hey, it sounds like somebody's taking the better part of valor and retreating,[/talk] he informs his companions.

Round 13 Begins

From some distance up the corridor, you hear a female voice shout in a strange language [None of you speak Demonic, so you don't know what she said]. This is followed by a loud snorting and the clatter of hooves on the stone floor of the corridor toward the party. Soon, a huge beast looms out of the fog directly in front of Cyrius and Prost. The details of the creature are difficult to see in the mist, but it appears to be a gigantic boar with huge tusks capped in iron. It is definitely not friendly. Only Prost and Cyrius can see it, although the rest of you have some idea that something is there from the noise it makes [If Prost or Cyrius alerts you that it's directly in front of them, you will be able to attack it, but don't forget the miss chance.]

[ae]Bless (everyone, +1 attack and saves vs fear): 2.2 min left
Fog Cloud (20% miss chance within 5 feet, 50% farther away): 39.8 min left

Round 13 Continues
Filge: false life (7 temp HP) 58.3 min left, mage armor 238.2 min left, spectral hand (2 hp) 3.7 min left, chill touch 3 left
Evan Prost: antitoxin 58.3 min left, darkvision 178.2 min left
Texudus TreeBender
Marcus Tilsworth: mage armor 238.3 min left, antitoxin 58.2 min left, 3 hp damage
Lola: shield of faith 2.2 min left
Round 13 Begins
Tiefling (T1): uninjured, location unknown
Beast (B): uninjured
[/ae]
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost is supprised by the sudden appearance of the giant boar, but manages somehow to keep his wits about him. Hoping that he has gone unnotice in the Fog, Prost "Quick Draws" his Rapier and attacks the Boar.

Rapier attack: [dice]0[/dice]

Rapier damage: [dice]1[/dice]
OUT OF CHARACTER
Sneak Attack: + 2d6 damage. [dice]2[/dice] Bleeding Attack(Ex): +2 damge (one per sneak)

After Prost attacks he yells out [yell]Giant Boar! Down the middle.[/yell] as he Tumbles to 1212.

Acrobatics check: [dice]3[/dice]

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[talk]You heard the man, we've got an overgrown porker with a bad temper here![/talk] Cyrius confirms the halfling's cry as he thrusts at the boar.

[ooc]1d20+10 to hit with the bless, damage will be 1d8+1d6+3:
Attack:
[dice]0[/dice]
Base Damage:
[dice]1[/dice]
Psychic Strike Damage:
[dice]2[/dice]
Total Damage: 15
If a hit is scored, Cyrius will use the remaining move action to recharge his weapon with psychic strike.[/ooc]
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Filge has not discharged the touch spell that he had cast so tries to blindly strike the creature facing his companions. The skeletons continue to guard the passageway, not advancing into the fog.

[ooc]Touch Attack (Spectral Hand delivering 1 of 4 attacks of Chill Touch
[dice]0[/dice]

Miss chance = 50% (due to Fog Cloud)
[dice]1[/dice]

Damage
[dice]2[/dice]

Fort DC 16 Will save or 1 pt Strength damage[/ooc]
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola mumbles to self [talk]"Only trying to help with the fog, gave you guys a chance to tell me not to......[/talk] the rest you cannot understand as she really is mumbling now.

The she says [talk]"If you can pull back it will draw him out in the open like the plan was."[/talk]

She will wait and if no one moves she will switch from sword to crossbow and ready it for next round.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex tries to arc a shot into the boar... Then backs up to give everyone room to get out of the fog.

[talk]Can you not freely dismiss your own spell?[/talk]

atk - [dice=totalonly]0[/dice]

Dam - [dice=totalonly]1[/dice]

Miss? - [dice=totalonly]2[/dice] (rolling 1d100?)
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex backs up to 1418
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

[ooc]I looked to see if I could disperse these spell or not. If I can than I would rather do that then wait. Can I disperse the fog cloud.[/ooc]
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]Fog Cloud cannot be dismissed. Spells that can be dismissed have a "(D)" in their duration entry (e.g., see Wall of Force).

Just waiting on Marcus now.[/ooc]

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”