The Second Face of Evil

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Re: [Active Thread] The Second Face of Evil

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex moves to 0514 to try and glimpse into the darkness.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

[whisper]Can someone shed light on the rest of the cavern?,[/whisper] asks Worrell of his companions.

While he is waiting for the ground to remain to normal, Worrell activates his Pearl of Power in case his companions require another use of his spell. For the remainder of the time, Worrell holds his shield between himself and the grimlock in case it has a missile weapon. Once the pit is gone, the paladin moves to engage the grimlock.

[ooc]Waiting - Round 1
Activate Pearl of Power - recover Bless

Waiting - Remaining Rounds
Total Defense - +4 dodge bonus to AC

Attack - [dice]0[/dice]

Damage - [dice]1[/dice][/ooc]
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 6 Continues

Prost continues to hustle back toward the fight.

Marcus loads his crossbow, readying to fire. The grimlock burns [4 hp damage].

Can someone shed light on the rest of the cavern? asks Worrell of his companions. Then he activates his pearl of power, recovering his spell.

Lola moves up to get ready for the grimlock's emergence from the pit.

Tex moves closer to the edge of the cliff and glimpses into the darkness. Just to the south (at about row xx15), the floor of this room drops off. It's 45 feet down to the bottom. Opposite the cliff on the south wall of the cave (at about row xx19), Tex can see two tunnels, one on the floor 45 below, another halfway down. There's also a ledge just above the halfway down tunnel entrance. [I realize this description is confusing; I'll post a vertical map that makes it clearer after the combat's over]

Cyrius readies for the grimlock's reappearance.

Round 7

The grimlock kennel master attempts to climb out of the pit. He makes no progress.

Prost returns to where he dropped his crossbow and picks it up.

Marcus continues to ready... Then the pit spell ends! When the grimlock rises to the surface, several things happen nearly at once.

Lola fires her crossbow and plugs the grimlock [8 hp damage]

Cyrius flings his mind blade, but misses.

Marcus misses with his crossbow.

[Made some assumptions here, just to move things forward quicker. Unfortunately, my dice did not go your way.]
Worrel steps up to swing his longsword and misses.

Tex turns away from the ledge and shoots his bow, missing.

Round 8 Begins

The grimlock kennel master draws his battleaxe. Unlike the crude weapons used by the other grimlocks, this one is metal and extra shiny! This doesn't seem to help, however, because the grimlock's swing is unable to find a gap in Worrel's armor.
OUT OF CHARACTER
This entire area is difficult terrain (2 squares to move 1 square; no 5 foot steps). If a square has a number it it, you can stand there without squeezing. If it doesn't have a number in it, you can't stand there.

There's shading to show the extent of normal and dim light from Lola's sunrod. The shadowy area is dim light, although Tex and Prost can see normally there thanks to darkvision.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Bless on all party members: 0.4 minutes remaining

Round 8 Continues
Evan Prost: unloaded crossbow readied, 20 bolts left, darkvision 177.5 min, 1 hp damage,
Lola: sunrod dropped at 0308, unloaded heavy crossbow readied, 34 bolts left, 1 hp damage
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: buckler readied, uninjured
Marcus Tilsworth: unloaded crossbow readied, 24 bolts left + 1 MW bolt, 2 hp damage
Worrel: shield and longsword readied, uninjured
Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 13 arrows left, 22 hp damage
Round 9 Begins
Grimlock Kennel Master (G) - 25 hp damage
Krenshar 1 (K1) - DEAD
Krenshar 2 (K2) - DEAD
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius re-materializes his mind blade in its rapier configuration (a move action), then steps to 0411 and thence to 0510 (another move action). He doesn't get an attack this round, but he should give Worrel a flanking bonus (+2 to hit).
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost finally arrives, commenting... [talk]Don't worry I'm here, I got your back.[/talk] and seeing the battle is still on going, he loads his crossbow and holds action, only firing at the Grimlock Kennel Master if he is not felled by his companions. Yelling encouragement to his companions [yell]Kill the beastie Worrel![/yell]
Prost attack if Grimlock Kennel Master is not felled by end of r…Show
-4 Fire into Melee applied
MW Light crossbow attack: [dice]0[/dice]
MW Light crossbow damage:[dice]1[/dice]
[ooc]:cry: Prost should of stayed in bed... :([/ooc]
Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrell re-doubles his efforts, hoping that the distraction provided by Cyrius causes a gap in the defenses of the grimlock.

[ooc]Attack - [dice]0[/dice]

Damage - [dice]1[/dice][/ooc]
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex lets another arrow fly

atk w/ Bless, PBS, DA

dmg w/ PBS and DA
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus will delay, but if the master is still alive after everyone acts, he will have his crossbow loaded and ready to fire, into melee if need be
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

reloads and will fire next round.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 8 Continues

Prost finally arrives, commenting, Don't worry I'm here, I got your back. Seeing the battle is still on going, he loads his crossbow. For now, however, he holds his action, yelling encouragement to his companions in hopes that he won't have to waste ammo, Kill the beastie Worrel!

Lola reloads.

Cyrius re-materializes his mind blade in its rapier configuration, then repositions himself opposite the grimlock from Worrel, creating a defensive predicament for the creature.

Like Prost, Marcus delays, but more quietly.

Worrell re-doubles his efforts and finds that the distraction provided by Cyrius causes a gap in the defenses of the grimlock. With a powerful swing [9 hp damage], he brings the creature down!

Combat Over

As everyone catches their bearings, the bless spell expires. Lola retrieves her sunrod (presumably). Worrel notices that he's standing next to a small campsite (0713) with ashes from a small fire along with several crude sleeping mats. Tex takes a moment to move closer to the edge of the cliff (xx15) and take a careful look. The great pit drops into darkness, but thanks to his darkvision Tex can see the bottom 45 feet below. The shaft’s floor is covered with loose debris, a few shattered stalactites, and a number of stalagmites. Crude, iron spikes have been driven into the cliff face, forming handholds all the way to the bottom and offering a convenient path downward.

Across the chasm (xx18 and xx19) and 15 feet down is a ledge covered with rocky debris. Iron spikes at the edge of that ledge lead down to a wide crack in the rocks (1517, 1518, and on to the south at 25 feet down). Five feet wide and perhaps six feet tall, this appears to provide a passage south. On the cave floor below the ledge is another passage south 10 feet wide and 8 feet high (0419 and 0519, and on to the south at 45 feet down).

The shaft’s roof is fifteen feet above the cliff’s edge. Jagged stalactites hang from the ceiling.
OUT OF CHARACTER
This entire area is difficult terrain (2 squares to move 1 square; no 5 foot steps). If a square has a number it it, you can stand there without squeezing. If it doesn't have a number in it, you can't stand there.

There's shading to show the extent of normal and dim light from Lola's sunrod. The shadowy area is dim light, although Tex and Prost can see normally there thanks to darkvision.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Evan Prost: loaded crossbow readied, 20 bolts left, darkvision 177.1 min, 1 hp damage,
Lola: sunroad readied, 34 bolts left, 1 hp damage
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: mind blade and buckler readied, uninjured
Marcus Tilsworth: loaded crossbow readied, 24 bolts left + 1 MW bolt, 2 hp damage
Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 13 arrows left, 22 hp damage
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[ooc]For clarification: there are no spike handholds leading from the lip of the chasm to the ledge above the higher passage, or the passage itself? The only way to get there from above is to jump Or fly or "free climb" around the side of the chasm? That's what I get from the description, but I could be wrong.[/ooc]

After the layout is described, Cyrius opines, [talk]So we have a choice of paths. Should we take the lower one, or attempt the upper on the grounds that it's likely less traveled?[/talk]
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

CGM3 wrote:For clarification: there are no spike handholds leading from the lip of the chasm to the ledge above the higher passage, or the passage itself? The only way to get there from above is to jump Or fly or "free climb" around the side of the chasm? That's what I get from the description, but I could be wrong.
[ooc]Exactly correct. There's no obvious easy way to the ledge or the upper passage.[/ooc]
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Hearing a description of the chasm before them, Marcus comments.

If there are handholds from the upper passage to the ledge, we should take caution. With invisibility or camouflage that ledge would be great for picking off uninvited guests. Also, not all stalactites are atone, and even those that are can be caused to fall. I can think of a number of perils to encounter here.
Image Image
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost comments after hearing Marcus's comments...[talk]Sounds like an ambush site. We could flip some Sunrods over on the ledge to light them up.[/talk]

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrell picks through the remains of the campsite, taking his time, before joining his companions near the cliff edge. If someone more skilled at such things joined him, he would be pleased.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Worrell will Take 10, if possible, with a result of 15

If he instead Aids Another, Perception roll is [dice]0[/dice]

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will help search the campsite as well before going over the to edge and joining the rest of the group.

[dice]0[/dice] perc.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Worrel and Lola's search of the campsite turns up four agates and a large ruby.[ooc]These have been added to the party loot list. Presumably, they will go into Prost's haversack with the rest of what you're carrying with you.[/ooc]
In the process of the search, sharp-eyed Lola also notices the glint of her sunrod reflecting off the dead kennel master's very shiny battleaxe, which suggests the weapon might have some value. [ooc]Hint, hint: don't forget to Greyhawk the body[/ooc]
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost moves over next to Tex at the ledge and says... [whisper]I have an idea. Maybe we can flush out anything that may be hiding over there on the ledge[/whisper] remembering how hard it was to spot the Grimlock's [whisper]I'll gather some bullet size stones and fire them over on the ledge. Then maybe can spook what ever might be over there to move[/whisper]

[ooc]Can Prost take twenty find bullet size stones... "30 Perception".[/ooc]

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

[whisper]Aye, certainly worth a shot.[/whisper]
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrell turns next to the body of the grimlock and, for good measure, the two krenshars. THINKING: Perhaps their belongings may provide some clue to what lies beyond, thinks the paladin. Hopefully Lola will search as well, given how little he found in the campsite.

OUT OF CHARACTER
[dice]0[/dice]

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

While the others are searching the ledge Lola wool look over the other bodies to see if they have anything.

[dice]0[/dice]

[ooc]Maybe stupid but not sure what you mean by Greyhawk the body.[/ooc]
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

I'm not familiar with that term either.

Marcus approaches the ledge as far as he can go saying, I can hurl some acid at the ledge. It won't be a loss of spells or supplies.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[ooc]I presume Greyhawk refers to the old, original D&D Greyhawk campaign, and involves some unusual method to conceal an item (perhaps the grimlock swallowed it; anybody up for impromptu meatball surgery?)[/ooc]
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]This site has as good a definition as I've seen of it: "The obscure phrase I use most often (and have to subsequently explain) is absolutely "Greyhawk the bodies!" .... It refers to the process of thoroughly looting the dead. I'm talking stripping them nude, laying out their stuff in a row, casting detect magic on each bit, checking their teeth for hollows, checking behind eyepatches, sometimes even dissecting them to check inside. Like a full modern autopsy with the goal of acquiring coin, basically. Rather than rattle off the list of unspeakable things their characters would do for a few coppers, my friends used to just say "we Greyhawk the bodies."[/ooc]
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Okay then. That's new to me. Let's git'r done
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

At least we won't have to save versus nausea... :wtf:

(By the way, the eek! smilie is showing as the surprised smilie: :eek: )
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Prost takes some time to collect bullet-sized stones that he might fire with his sling staff. They won't be as effective as bullets, but they should work...
PRD wrote:You can hurl ordinary stones with a sling, but stones are not as dense or as round as bullets. Thus, such an attack deals damage as if the weapon were designed for a creature one size category smaller than you and you take a –1 penalty on attack rolls.
Worrel and Lola search the dead Kennel Master and the krenshars. The Kennel Master has some valuables: a masterwork battleaxe, a composite longbow (+3 STR bonus), 5 gold, and 3 potions.

[ooc]Items have been added to your loot list, except the potions, pending identification. You could use detect magic and spellcraft or...
PRD wrote:Identifying Potions: In addition to the standard methods of identification, PCs can sample from each container they find to attempt to determine the nature of the liquid inside with a Perception check. The DC of this check is equal to 15 + the spell level of the potion (although this DC might be higher for rare or unusual potions).
[/ooc]

The rest of the party observes the ledge across the chasm suspiciously and considers what to do next.

[ooc]Those of you who are studying the ledge can make a perception check.[/ooc]

[ae]Evan Prost: loaded crossbow readied, 20 bolts left, darkvision 176.0 min, 1 hp damage,
Lola: sunroad readied, 34 bolts left, 1 hp damage
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: mind blade and buckler readied, uninjured
Marcus Tilsworth: loaded crossbow readied, 24 bolts left + 1 MW bolt, 2 hp damage
Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 13 arrows left, 22 hp damage[/ae]
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

I'll roll perception tonight and will attempt to identify potions too.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius scrutinizes the chasm before them--

Perception check: 1d20+8 (+1 if relating to surprise):
[dice]0[/dice]

--and probably notices nothing out of the ordinary. (oooh, a shiny rock! :lol: )
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Text tries to make out anything in the darkness.

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”