Lunatic Pandora [Closed]

Archives of old PbP requests/news and such.
BusyCowboy
BusyCowboy
BusyCowboy

Lunatic Pandora [Closed]

Post by BusyCowboy »

Title: Lunatic Pandora

Brief description: Masters of all types have come to claim the prize, it shattered and is now lost. Will your group be the one to obtain all the item pieces and claim the prize?

Rule System: D&D 3.5

Validation Frequency: Every 3 Days

Min/Max Number of Players: Min 3 / Max 6

Start Date: June 1st (or earlier if enough people)

Source Books Allowed: Complete Arcane, Champion, Divine, Mage, Scoundrel, Warrior; Races of Stone, Destiny, Wild; Sandstorm, Stormwrack, Frostburn

Classes and Races Allowed: Any from the above source books

Starting Level of PCs: 12th Level, Max ECL of 2

Stats Generation: Invisible Castle: 4d6 drop lowest

Starting Equipment/Wealth: Equipment: Weapons: Max +2, Armor (incl Rings): Max +6, Wealth: 300,000 gp (Magic items can come from the Magic Items Compendium, but FULL SETS must be cleared by me first)

Background Information: Required. 2 paragraphs minimum

End Conditions: Claim the item, get the prize

About ME: I have been on this board for awhile, now up to DR 21. In several games, running 1 so far, looking to run a second.

MY Subscription End Time Permanent Subscription!

Notes: HERE

Signature: missing
Last edited by BusyCowboy on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Black Phoenix
Soldier
Soldier

Re: New PbP: Lunatic Pandora

Post by Black Phoenix »

count me in :D
also a question or two

we start at lvl 12, ok do you allow multi-classing?
if so can a character start say for example 7th lvl fighter 5th lvl (somthing else), for a starting character?

reguradless im in
rickynumber24
Squire
Squire

Post by rickynumber24 »

Black Phoenix wrote:count me in :D
also a question or two

we start at lvl 12, ok do you allow multi-classing?
if so can a character start say for example 7th lvl fighter 5th lvl (somthing else), for a starting character?

reguradless im in
I'm wondering this too. (I'm tempted to make someone who is Sorceror -> Spellwarp Sniper (with one level of Spellthief for the sneak attack requirement), and that's going to mean at least three different classes, one of which is a prestige class...)

Also, I'm a little fuzzy on something in the background. Masters of all types went to claim a prize, but it's shattered. On the other hand, you later wonder if a group will find the prize. Are characters supposed to be getting it for themselves personally? (Basically, how selfish and/or self-reliant do you expect characters to be?) I get the impression that, now that the prize is scattered, groups have formed to find it, but what is the nature of this prize, exactly, and how ... shareable ... is it?
Image Veszquiri Arkenmtor - Drow Transmuter 1
BusyCowboy
BusyCowboy
BusyCowboy

Post by BusyCowboy »

You do realize you would take a hefty xp penalty for that, right ricky? (Sorc / Spellthief = greater than 2 levels if your only taking 1 level in Spellthief)

And yes, multi/prestige is fine. Just make it believable.
rickynumber24
Squire
Squire

Post by rickynumber24 »

BusyCowboy wrote:You do realize you would take a hefty xp penalty for that, right ricky? (Sorc / Spellthief = greater than 2 levels if your only taking 1 level in Spellthief)

And yes, multi/prestige is fine. Just make it believable.
Hmm... you're right about that. It occurs to me that there's really no good way to do that class without either gimping available spells or taking a heavy exp penalty, though the Master Spellthief feat solves some of the other problems, like spell stealing being useless and caster level being low. That said, I've been wanting to play around with spellwarp sniper ever since I saw the class, and this seems like a good opportunity.

... and yes, I think such a character could be made believeable.

EDIT: Rereading the multiclass penalty rules, I'm pretty sure the penalty is per class, not per level per class... (That said, maybe you consider -20% to be hefty, and one could make an argument that it is.)
Last edited by rickynumber24 on Wed May 20, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Veszquiri Arkenmtor - Drow Transmuter 1
Benji
BARON
BARON

Post by Benji »

I'll probably be up for a new PbP.

Quick question though; Did you get the name 'Lunatic Pandora' from FF8? Just curious :)
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

I could be interested, too.

BTW, I think ricky can do his plan without an XP penalty if his character is human and makes spellthief or sorcerer his favored class. Your favored class doesn't count when determining XP penalties and it's my understanding that prestige classes never count for XP penalties.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Black Phoenix
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Black Phoenix »

i have a question about the ECL

Are you allowing lvl 12 characters with an ECL of +2?

-OR-

lvl 10 characters with a ECL of +2?
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

I would recommend a starting XP value instead of a starting level. This way, players can spend their XP to buy their level, or they can spend it to buy their race and level. If you are using Level Adjustment Buyback rules, this will determine what level they wind up with. A +2 level adjustment can be completely bought back with the XP of a 12th level character, should you be using those rules (although they will be starting as a 10th or 11th level character, depending on starting XP). Additionally, crafters can use XP to make items for themselves and party members. Starting at 11th level with significantly more equipment than they could otherwise afford is actually a decent strategy.

The base XP for a 12th level character is 76,000. The base XP for a 13th level character is 88,000 XP. Granting at least 79,000 is enough for a +1 level adjustment to be completely bought back, should you be using those rules. A 12th level character is high enough level for some of the more powerful permanency spells, so a wizard could use 79,000 XP to begin play with Permanency Arcane Sight and Permanency Tongues and still have enough XP to be 12th level. So, depending on the starting XP, you will greatly affect the starting equipment.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
BusyCowboy
BusyCowboy
BusyCowboy

Post by BusyCowboy »

For the ECL: 10th level +2 ECL

He could do that, but again, how can you ultimately believe that a sorcerer would take a single level in Spellthief to become another? Why not just take a level in rogue instead for the Sneak Attack? That would more likely be something common than that. ;)

Benji: Kinda/Sorta. I couldn't really think of a name and I happened to be playing it. LOL

Ricky: XP Penalty is per level between two separate classes if neither of them are favored. You also do not take the penalty when you take on a prestige class either.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

What is the status of this PbP?
R
BusyCowboy
BusyCowboy
BusyCowboy

Post by BusyCowboy »