CoD: New Mission - Recover the Jewel [closed]

Archives of old PbP requests/news and such.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

CoD: New Mission - Recover the Jewel [closed]

Post by shai-hulud »

NEW MISSION PARAMETERS
Mission Title: Recover the Jewel
Brief description of the Mission: A rare jewel is hidden somewhere in the dungeon of Thrik. Find it.
Rule System to be used: 3.5 with modifications:
The core races lose their current ability score adjustments. Instead, all races may choose one ability score to gain a +2. Additionally, they may choose a second ability score to gain a +2 at the expense of a -2 to a third ability score.
Rather than a feat at 1st level and one at every third level, all characters receive a racial feat every level. Additionally, fighters receive bonus fighter feats every level. This overrides the standard rules for both racial feats and fighter feats. Animal companions also receive feats every level.

Validation Frequency: Minimum 2x/week, although 3x/week is preferred.
Minimum/Maximum Number of Players requested: Minimum players: 3
Maximum players: 5

Source Books Allowed/Denied: Nearly all 3.5 books are allowed. Third party books will be reviewed. If something seems possibly broken, ask before using it. I reserve the right to deny anything that I think would be inappropriate, so asking first is always a good option.
Classes and Races Allowed/Denied: Any class/race is acceptable. No gestalt.
Starting Level for the Champions: Starting ECL: 1 (that means races with 1 racial HD and +0 level adjustment are acceptable. I reject Skip Williams' rule saying that non-humanoids must keep their racial HD).
How to Generate Attributes: 25 point buy
Starting Equipment/Wealth: Ask me once your character is complete aside from equipment. Special awards to creative characters.
End Conditions: TPK or the Jewel is found
Notes about this Mission: While combat may be encountered, I am not using maps at all. Additionally, combat will NOT be round-by-round. If this offends your delicate sensibilities, then don't attempt to partake of this mission. Combat will be free-form. To keep my work to a minimum, combat is on your shoulders. The more descriptive you become in how you deal with combat situations, the better combat goes. What does this mean? It means that we are writing a story together. It is a collaborative effort to create the most interesting story possible. I don't want questions, "What does the room look like? What features are there that can be taken advantage of?" If I don't provide features to be taken advantage of, they don't exist. Anything I do mention can be used as creatively as you are capable. It falls to me to ensure you have the tools to be creative. It falls to you to use that to your maximal advantage. Combat should be fast. Here is an example:
Example wrote:DM: The party enters a room 20' x 30' x 15' containing five stone pillars, four of the pillars reside surrounding the fifth, which is in the center of the room. One of the four pillars has fallen, and stone debris is strewn about the room. The wall to the right side of this chamber is slightly porous, and a high pitched noise emits from that direction. As the party makes their way towards the door on the opposite side of the room, a black substance begins oozing from the wall. Only, as the group watches, they realize that it is not a substance. It is thousands upon thousands of centipedes! As the vermin mass together, they begin moving towards the party with mindless hunger.

Rules:
  • Movement through the room requires some care, as the debris causes tripping hazards. Running and charging requires a balance check DC 10 to avoid falling.
  • Halfway through the room, the fallen pillar provides a challenge. You must succeed on a Jump DC 10 to leap over the pillar. Small characters add 5 to that DC. You can instead take your time climbing over it, but that requires a standard action.
  • One character in the party has Knowledge: Nature, which is needed to identify the swarm traits. Here is what the party knows:
    • DC 14: Reveals all Vermin traits.
    • DC 19: Reveals all Swarm traits
    • DC 24: Reveals information about its Poison: Injury, Fortitude DC 13, initial and secondary damage 1d4 Dex. The save DC is Constitution-based.
    • DC 29: Reveals all information about the centipede swarm
    A failed check means that the party knows nothing about this creature. A very high success reveals all lesser information. Roll two fort saves for each round you expect to be damaged by the centipedes (for poison and distraction). DC 13 for each.
  • The door at the end of the room is locked and trapped. The lock requires a DC 20 to open. The trap requires a DC 28 to search and a DC 28 to disable.
Character 1 (ranger): My character has Knowledge: Nature. I roll it: Knowledge: Nature (1d20+12=21). I share with the party, It is a swarm of centipedes. They cannot be harmed by weapons. I run into the room, pull out my flask of oil, and spread it over the creatures. Next, I dump Alchemist's fire all over them. Attack roll with Alchemist's Fire; Fire damage (Alchemist's fire); Fire damage (oil) (1d20+10=24, 1d6=1, 1d6=2). Fort save (1d20+9=23, 1d20+9=23, 1d20+9=13, 1d20+9=24, 1d20+9=26, 1d20+9=25)

Character 2 (rogue): Since they cannot be harmed by weapons, I ignore them, and jump over the pillar in the center of the room, heading over to the door. I begin unlocking it. Jump; Open Lock; Search; Disable Device (1d20+4=20, 1d20+14=16, 1d20+13=21, 1d20+14=20) I jump the pillar without any trouble, but I don't notice the trap. As I notice the centipedes are actually causing harm to my allies, I double time my work on the lock: Open Lock (1d20+14=34) My second attempt is a success, and I open the door, triggering the trap that I did not find.

Character 3 (fighter): I aid in the tossing of oil and alchemist's fire upon these bugs. Attack; Damage; Damage (1d20+11=15, 1d6=1, 1d6=5) After doing that, I attempt to roll the pillar over the bugs, crushing them. Fort save (1d20+9=17, 1d20+9=12, 1d20+9=22, 1d20+9=18, 1d20+9=18, 1d20+9=26)

DM: The battle goes quite well for the characters. Character 1 takes 2 rounds of damage from the centipedes (18 damage) and makes both fort saves vs. poison. Character 3 takes 2 rounds of damage from them, as well (9 damage), but fails the save versus poison (2 Dex damage) Damage (2d6=9, 2d6=9, 2d6=5, 2d6=4, 2d6=4, 2d6=5) Dex damage (1d4=2) The centipedes swarm over the two fighters. Fortunately, both characters are still under the effects of the Protection from Fire spell and take no additional damage. The centipedes, however, are completely destroyed, especially with the added tactic of the centipede smasher courtesy of the fallen pillar. Character 2, however, was not so lucky as he opened the door at the end of the room causing a massive explosion from a fireball (DC 14 reflex). Damage for failure: Damage (8d6=36) Fortunately, Character 1 and Character 3 are behind pillars and receive a +2 cover bonus to reflex saves.

Character 1: Reflex (1d20+9=25) (so I take 18 damage)
Character 2: Reflex (1d20+12=22) (evasion, so I take no damage)
Character 3: Reflex (1d20+12=22) (so I take 18 damage)

DM: Somehow, the rogue manages to evade the fireball trap, but with the other two party members seriously injured, perhaps some time must be spent recovering before continuing...
I hope this example is useful in seeing what I expect. I will give you all the information. It is your job to make sure it is interesting in the end. Challenge yourself. If you die, no worries. It is just a story.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Re: CoD: New Mission - Recover the Jewel

Post by shai-hulud »

Mission information:

This mission takes place in Eberron (so Eberron materials are acceptable). The mission starts in a hamlet in Thrane. Thrik was a goblinoid mercenary camp doubling as a detention facility for prisoners of the Last War. The Dungeon of Thrik was simply the holding area for the worst war criminals. Towards the end of the last war, the mercenary camp was overrun by Brelish soldiers who destroyed the entire camp. The camp was built in the center of a forest. The exact nature of the events that occurred are unclear, but at some point during the skirmish, the trees themselves came alive. A large explosion destroyed a battalion of Brelish forces, indicating that their forces were not behind the catastrophe that ensued. The trees moved into the area of the explosion, and wild orcs charged into the battlefield. The orcs came from the northwest, clearly sent by Queen Aurala of Aundair. The goblin commander was known to have owned a jeweled scepter that he carried beneath his arm. Atop the scepter is a sapphire about the size of a goblin's fist. The goblin commander called it, Zhink'Daal, which in the Goblin tongue simply means Blue Beauty.

None of the Brelish nor Goblin forces survived, and from studies of the battlefield, it seems likely that the orcs did not take any items in pillage. They simply destroyed everyone at the camp, and then left. The hamlet of Silvering is fourteen miles from the site of the old camp. The ruins there don't even begin to resemble the original encampment. The forest that had been its concealment is all but destroyed from the explosion. The explosion had caused molten lava to rain down upon the encampment, and much of the area is burned, including the detention facility. Much of what has been recovered from the battlefield has already been sold off. The most valuable item, the Zhink'Daal, has yet to be located.

Tamric Kavar, a retired paladin from the service of the Silver Flame, is the most important citizen of Silvering. Sometimes, important church officials visit his home, spending their coin at the small shops that the tiny hamlet has to offer. A lover of Daakhani history, Tamric would like to investigate the gem to see if its lineage can be traced back to the days of the great goblin empire. He became excited when scavengers found their way into the detention facility beneath the camp to find a diary from one of the prisoners. Apparently a spy master from Karrnath was being held at the facility when the fighting began. He used the confusion to escape from captivity and steal the scepter from the goblin commander. He decided to return to a secret portion of the detention facility that he had discovered. Unfortunately, the explosion shifted some of the structural supports holding up the dungeon, and it collapsed, killing him before he was able to make good his escape. His last entry indicates that he was still in possession of the scepter upon his death, and no scavengers have offered to sell it. Also noted at the location was an entrance to Khyber has opened in the area. Tamric believes one of the creatures from Khyber has taken the scepter. If this is so, he will pay 10,000gp to have it returned. The group's task is simply to find the gem and act as agents on his behalf. In addition, they are to protect the transfer of payment to any underground denizens that are discovered. Of course, if they are unwilling to part with the scepter, the group who acts on his behalf may be in grave danger...

rickynumber24
Squire
Squire

Post by rickynumber24 »

This sounds fascinating. (It also makes me think of Exalted, though that's not a bad thing, considering the storyteller I've been playing with...)

How, in starting wealth, do you handle builds based around a specific weapon? (suppose I want to do something interesting with the crossbow sniper feat, for example...)
Image Veszquiri Arkenmtor - Drow Transmuter 1
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

I really like the setting. There are numerous ways of attaining a large amount of wealth. The easiest way is to be Human, Dragonmarked, and Favored in House. Adding a couple of flaws allows you to start with the appropriate feats. You can be a rogue with a bunch of starting feats and have a ton of wealth. There will be drawbacks, of course. In general, wealth is highly individual. Much of the setting is.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

For right now, I'm just looking for character concepts. Let me know if you are interested, and what type of character you are thinking of trying.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Additional House Rules:
  • Unlimited Cantrips/day. Same as Pathfinder
  • Sorcerers and wizards are combined into a single casting class:
    • Hit die: d4
    • Base Save Bonus: Good Will, Poor Fort and Ref
    • Class Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Knowledge (All, taken individually), Profession, and Spellcraft.
    • Skill Points: 2 + Int modifier
    • Class Abilities:
      1. Summon Familiar; Bonus Feat; Armored Spellcasting; Spellcasting
      2. Spell Versatility (1/day)
      3. Rapid Casting (1/day)
      4. Spell Versatility (2/day)
      5. Bonus Feat
      6. Spell Versatility (3/day)
      7. Rapid Casting (2/day)
      8. Spell Versatility (4/day)
      9. Imbue Familiar (1/day)
      10. Bonus Feat; Spell Versatility (5/day)
      11. Rapid Casting (3/day)
      12. Spell Versatility (6/day)
      13. Armored Casting (Medium)
      14. Spell Versatility (7/day)
      15. Bonus Feat; Rapid Casting (4/day)
      16. Spell Versatility (8/day)
      17. Imbue Familiar (2/day)
      18. Spell Versatility (9/day)
      19. Rapid Casting (5/day)
      20. Bonus Feat; Spell Versatility (10/day)
        Summon Familiar (As normal wizard/sorcerer)

Bonus Feats: As wizard, although add Eschew Materials, Spell Focus, Spell Penetration, and all feats with those feats as prerequisites.

Armored Spellcasting: Can cast in light armor without Arcane Armor Spell Failure. At 13th level, you can cast in Medium armor without Arcane Armor Spell Failure.

Spellcasting: Either Int or Cha based (whichever is higher, and this choice can change depending on which stat is higher at any given time). Follow the progression for wizard for spells prepared per day per level. For example, a 3rd level wizard can prepare 4 cantrips, 2 1st level spells, 1 second level spell. His 4 cantrips may be cast at will. His 1st level and higher spells are cast using the Spell Point system defined in Unearthed Arcana: Spell Points. Treat these as power points. Use the Wizard list for determining spell points per day. Cantrips do not cost spell points to cast.

Spell Versatility: Beginning at 2nd level, and every two levels after that, you gain the ability to use spell points to cast a spell you have not prepared, but know through Spell Mastery a certain number of times per day.

Rapid Casting: Spellcasting in general is going to be more complicated. All spells that had required one standard action to cast will instead require a full round action to cast. Beginning at 3rd level, once per day (and an additional time per day every four levels after), you can cast such a spell in the normal amount of time (1 standard action instead of 1 full-round action).

Imbue Familiar: Once per day, you can imbue your familiar with a single spell (twice per day and two spells at 17th level). When you do this, that spell slot becomes unavailable to you for casting (although you can prepare the same spell for yourself using one of your other spell slots). Treat your familiar as a caster six levels lower than yourself when determining which spells you may imbue your familiar with. Also allocate to your familiar a number of spell points it may use to cast the spell you have imbued it with. Your familiar cannot use Rapid Casting nor Spell Versatility.
  • Spellcasting: All spells that ordinarily take 1 standard action will instead take 1 round to cast. This is an attempt to limit in-combat spellcasting in order to make spellcasting more used for out-of-combat situations. Because of this vulnerability, spellcasting will be made slightly more powerful. We will be using the Spell Points variant to cast spells. Spells can still be quickened as normal (allowing a character to cast full-round action spells as swift action spells). For more information on how this change affects individual spell-casting classes, please ask.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

If I have enough players, I'm looking to start this mission as early as Dec. 5 (character files pending). Since there is a lot of customization work for my homebrew rules (designed to minimize long combat and maximize options for individual actions), I'll have class files ready when I return at the beginning of next week.

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

This may be a stupid question, but for this game can you use the Psionic Classes/Races from the Hypertext d20 SRD web site? I have never played a Psionist and would be interested in trying this. But if that is not for this mission I am fine with doing a more standard class/race. So, count me in if you still need players.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Psionics in Eberron have some story behind them, but I have no issue with psionics. Keep in mind that there is full psionics/magic transparency, and just as all spells that normally take a standard action are taking a full round action, same with powers. This is to actually harm enemy casters more than players, as enemy casters will be easier to disrupt during their casting. Also, I want to play around with counterspelling to make spellcasting battles a little more interesting (Hence the spellcaster's ability to use spells that are in his repertoire, but not prepared for the day).

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

I haven't had a chance to make up the appropriate files. I'll work on that this weekend. Please post if you are interested. I'm not looking for completed characters, just looking for interest.

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

I would be interested. After much thought, I would not do a psionist, just an everyday character, maybe a thief.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
BusyCowboy
BusyCowboy
BusyCowboy

Post by BusyCowboy »

*Blinks at all the homebrew rules and falls over* Well I MIGHT be able to throw something together, but that's all depending on variables as I know in March I'll be on the move to Ohio, but again, will find out what I can whip up for ya. :D
Badlapje
Knight
Knight

Post by Badlapje »

hadn't seen this before, but this looks extremely interesting so count me in if this is still going ahead :)
“A player is never late, Dave. Nor is he early. He arrives precisly when the plot dictates he should.”
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Unfortunately, school has taken precedence and I haven't had time to begin this mission. After careful consideration, I have another thought in mind... one that may work really well on the forums.

So, I will make another post with that one. This idea is still in the works, and if I have time, I'll probably look into running it.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Re: CoD: New Mission - Recover the Jewel [closed]

Post by Duniagdra »

hm... well... This does seem interesting. I'll watch out for your next update.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image

Return to “The Old Die [Old PbP news]”