How to enable masterwork or magic weapon bonus?

Need Help with TOS CORE?
Ask in this section!
dcamper
Peasant
Peasant

How to enable masterwork or magic weapon bonus?

Post by dcamper »

I can't seem to find the way to enable the masterwork bonus for a weapon. How do I do it? Using TOS core v 2.00
"It's tough being a grownup!"
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Re: How to enable masterwork or magic weapon bonus?

Post by admin »

dcamper wrote:I can't seem to find the way to enable the masterwork bonus for a weapon. How do I do it? Using TOS core v 2.00
TOS CORE does not implement effects like that, since it is just a demo version of TOS+.
But you can manually add masterwork to a weapon on the FRONT worksheet, using the ADJ section.

Here, I added a +1 to the attack of a Dagger... (thus making it Masterwork)
mw.jpg
If you like TOS CORE, I strongly suggest you consider getting 'the real thing', TOS+!!

admin
Maelstrom000
Squire
Squire

Post by Maelstrom000 »

Figures. I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out. The comment on the FRONT sheet in the core version specifically instructs you to not input the MWK bonus on the front sheet. :?

Very impressed with the coding of the workbook, btw.

Maelstrom000
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

hmm weird.. I wrote a big post about this in this thread.. but that seems to have disappeared... :?
I'll try to recreate it.

Basically, the Adj boxes are hard coded - meaning that they will add the value therein to the total, irrelevant of anything else. This is fine for a quick adjustment, but not very good in the long run. Let me explain: TOS+ is coded in such a way to follow the Stacking Rules. These rules explains *which* bonus type can stack together, and which do not.

Best to work with an example: Let's say you have a MW Dagger that you want your character to use.
The easiest way to 'create' this weapon, is to simply take a normal Dagger and , on the front sheet, put a +1 in the Attack adjustment box. Voila, instant MasterWork Dagger!

*BUT* what happens to your MW Dagger if your friendly arcane caster casts a Magic Weapon on it? That spell gives a weapon a +1 enhancement bonus to both attack and damage...

So if you activate this spell on the LapTop worksheet, your MW Dagger will get a +2 attack bonus: +1 from the spell, and +1 from the Adj box on the front sheet.
This is *incorrect* !! A Masterwork weapon gains a +1 enhancement bonus to attack... AND the stacking rules specifically say that enhancement bonuses do NOT stack. So the bonus on attack should remain at +1 and not +2!!

This is why using the Adj box is not the best way to go if you will be applying spells and effects, dynamically on your character (via the LapTop worksheet)

The alternative is slightly more complex, but *will* allow the sheet to track the stacking rules, thus giving correct answers when spells like Magic Weapon are used.
Simply create a new weapon called MW Dagger in the gears worksheet (weapon table) and use this effect for it:
[1effect]Yes|MW Dagger Attack|Enhancement|1[/1effect]

This effect will give a +1 enhancement bonus to this MW Dagger AND if other sources of enhancement bonuses are detected, only the highest value will be considered - as per the Stacking Rules!!

For more information on effects within TOS+: I hope this helps!
admin
CountofUndolpho
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by CountofUndolpho »

See here for help on creating effects on weapons:

http://theonlysheet.com/community/viewt ... f=3&t=5616

Kudos to Pat Ransom
Maelstrom000
Squire
Squire

Post by Maelstrom000 »

Well, I bought the TOS+ and masterwork items are not part of that workbook either.

It makes no sense creating a new custom weapon for every type of weapon that I want to have as masterwork item. It has to be an effect/ability/condition/whatever that I add to the weapon that my character has. I ended up creating a custom Ability on the Ability sheet that is exactly like the "Wpn Special Ability: +1" except named "Masterwork weapon". I removed effect#2 (the damage bonus) and that seems to work like a charm. How exactly the sheet knows that effect#1 is the attack bonus is beyond me. I can see no reference to attack anywhere in the line I added but it works. :P

CountofUdolpho, I didn't buy the subscription so referencing the "subscribers only" section doesn't help.

And to something completely different, adding pictures is a bit limited. I cannot import .PNG pictures :evil: Why don't you guys just throw away the OLEObject code for the pictures and just import them as Shapes. You can find the code below on StackOverflow. So much simpler than doing it through OLEObjects. When deleting, you just throw out shapes with the name "Picture %".

Code: Select all

Sub InsertPictureInRange(PictureFileName As String, TargetCells As Range)
    ' inserts a picture and resizes it to fit the TargetCells range
    Dim p As Object, t As Double, l As Double, w As Double, h As Double
    If TypeName(ActiveSheet) <> "Worksheet" Then Exit Sub
    If Dir(PictureFileName) = "" Then Exit Sub
    ' import picture
    Set p = ActiveSheet.Pictures.Insert(PictureFileName)
    ' determine positions
    With TargetCells
        t = .Top
        l = .Left
        w = .Offset(0, .Columns.Count).Left - .Left
        h = .Offset(.Rows.Count, 0).Top - .Top
    End With
    ' position picture
    With p
        .Top = t
        .Left = l
        .Width = w
        .Height = h
    End With
    Set p = Nothing
End Sub
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Wpn Special Ability: MW is missing?? hmm I'll add it for the next update, which should be out soon. Thanks!

The picture code does indeed need a refresh.. it was written 10 years ago :P

admin
CountofUndolpho
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by CountofUndolpho »

Sorry didn't notice the Subscriber bit.
"Il y en a toujours l'un qui baise, et l'un qui tourne la joue"

Return to “Help Desk”