Encounter at Shadow Castle Keep Parts 1 and 2

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Encounter at Shadow Castle Keep Parts 1 and 2

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Thanks for your patience. Adventure 3 begins now...

The next morning, the party gathers at the house of wizard, Master Allustan Penkawr, to begin their journey to consult with the witch, Marzena. Although the group had planned to walk, Prost shows up mounted on a riding dog, prompting Tex to mutter something about lazy halfling thieves. Everyone ignores his grumbling as he leads them out of town in the direction of Shadow Castle Keep, on the edge of the Calenvicar Swamp.
calenvicar.jpg
Master Penkawr is talkative during the journey. The party learns that his brother is the mayor of Rastingdrung, Lanod Neff. This is one of the reasons Penkawr left Tula, the City of Mages, to take up residence in the little town, although the party gets the impression that Penkawr and Lanod’s relationship is a little strained. Penkawr also mentions politics as one of his reasons for leaving the Great School in Tula. He makes some vaugely negative comments about ...city wizards, cooped up in their dusty libraries, never seeing the real world. He also talks about his efforts to expand the Many Steps archives in Rastingdrung.

The group stops for the night at an abandoned farm called Shank’s Rest. The party exercises caution in setting up camp, but finds the place perfectly safe. In fact, the entire two-day trip passes without incident, until the travelers approach Shadow Castle Keep near dusk of the second day. As they cover the last stretch of the southbound trail, they notice an increase in the number of flies and the smell of a battle — smoke and blood. I've got a bad feeling about this, comments Tex. The next bit of the trail ascends a moderately sized hill. Approaching the top of the rise cautiously, the group secures a good view of the keep and its current situation.
keepsiege.jpg
The keep itself is built out of black stone and consists of a four-story tower with a basement floor that (according to Penkawr) is buried under a false hill. Large sharpened wooden stakes jut out of the hillside, pointing away from the keep. The door to the keep looks like it has been broken open and hastily repaired. On the level above the door a five-foot balcony extends outward and a nervous group of defenders keeps watch there, armed with longbows. Next to the keep is a stockaded horse corral, partially embedded in the false hill. The doors to the stockade are open and a dead and partially dismembered horse is in the doorway. The party can see groups of lizardfolk lurking in strategic places around the keep, using bushes, large rocks, and dead trees as cover. Each has a club, large shield, and at least one javelin. Some of them are eating horsemeat, and at least one is eating a dead human soldier. Three dead lizardfolk are out in the open near the keep, attracting flies.

This looks bad... comments Penkawr. Lizard people, grumbles Tex, Why'd it have to be lizard people...

OUT OF CHARACTER
The party is approaching from the east (right hand side of the map). Beyond the keep to the west is the start of the swamp.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Re: [Active Thread] Encounter at Shadow Castle Keep Part 1

Post by Duniagdra »

Well... I guess it's not going to be a gradual start, but to jump right in. Marcus looks to each of his friends with fingers twitching. We need to get in there. Maybe we can take out a group or two without alarm? Maybe a sleep spell or two? Kill any that succumb after dealing with those who don't? I can also drop them into a pit or two? Perhaps distract one group and lure them into a trap? We need a real count of how many. Maybe Prost can scout the area?
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Ya, sounds like a plan. What do you know about them lizard folk? I am sneaky, alright, they will not see or hear me coming, but can they smell me? Prost checks to see which way the wind is blowing.
Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel looks at the lizard men, trying to estimate how many opponents are on the field.

We can wait to get an idea of the situation. Something may be within that stockade and I would rather not be surprised, says the paladin.

I am not suited to stealth but my bow far outranges those javelins that the lizard folk carry. We should find a defensible spot if the lizard folk charge us - not a bad thing, since it may be sufficient for the defenders to make a sortie.
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

JPetherick wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:10 pm Worrel looks at the lizard men, trying to estimate how many opponents are on the field.
OUT OF CHARACTER
A perception check would be appropriate here...

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel is looking, really looking.

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

OUT OF CHARACTER
What is the weather like?

Lola will also try to count the number of lizardfolk.

She then says I can bring some help, do we want quiet or big?
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

The weather is clear, but sunset is approaching.

Worrel and Lola count about 30 lizardfolk. Neither of them see anything in the stockade other than dead horses. Lola has some additional observations, though (PM sent).

Tex comments, It's been decades since the lizards attacked anything outside the swamp... ever since they built this keep, really. Wonder what's got them all riled up now?

Listening to Prost, he adds, Not much cover down there that doesn't already have a greenskin hiding behind it. But if we wait until dark, you might be able to sneak by them. The lizards don't see any better in the dark than you do. And they don't have extra powerful smellers... although you have taken on the aroma of dog lately.

Penkawr rummages in his pack and pulls out a scroll, I've been saving this for an emergency. I think I should use it to teleport back to Rastingdrung and alert the garrison to this threat. It will be some time before help can arrive, but it sounds like you're already planning to do what you can to aid the soldiers in the keep?
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola quietly points out

Look, there is one (K on the northern half of the map) carrying a steel shield who seems to be giving orders. And over there is female (S on the southern half of the map). Look, she is feeding a very large snake (V next to S on the map). That seems odd how friendly it is with her.

She then asks

Do you want me to summon some help? (rather than listing options Summon Monster I & III are my options)
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Maybe the female is some sort of ranger or shaman, Cyrius muses as he scans the vista before him. Having Master Penkawr go warn the town of this development strikes me as a good idea. And I vote we wait for darkness and try to slip by the lizardfolk unnoticed, the odds seem a bit too one-sided for my tastes.

Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

I could use the two fireballs to take out one or two of the defensive groups, but I'm okay with maybe sneaking between them. Not all of us are stealthy though. I can only see a sneak attack being the best option. Either way, waiting for dark is best.
Image Image
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

No, I am not stealthy says Worrel. I had been thinking of engaging the lizardmen with our ranged weapons, which means attacking when we can see. We should be able to weaken the groups before they get close enough to use those javelins. Those two that Lola spotted, though, we should focus on since they may be leaders. Remember, we might aid the occupants of the keep by drawing the attention of the lizards.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

JPetherick wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:00 pm No, I am not stealthy says Worrel. I had been thinking of engaging the lizardmen with our ranged weapons, which means attacking when we can see. We should be able to weaken the groups before they get close enough to use those javelins. Those two that Lola spotted, though, we should focus on since they may be leaders. Remember, we might aid the occupants of the keep by drawing the attention of the lizards.
I agree. Most of us are not stealthy and moving in the dark could be risky. If there's enough moonlight tonight we could be visible enough to be seen as we pass between. I think it really is a best option to attack by surprise one of the two nearest groups or moving to where one of the leader types are. I have two fireballs, magic missiles, enlarge person, can cast unerring weapon on up to 20 arrows and/or bolts.
Image Image
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola offers I have a 20' cloud of fog I can cast, bless and strengthen one of you.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Well, if we're going to make a break for the fort, I suggest we come from the southeast, Cyrius opines. There are only five lizardfolk there, and we may get past them and to the rise before any others can reach us.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Once we're in the fort we're trapped. While we do have high ground, they have excellent cover. Resources inside the fort are limited. Out here is not. I say we attack on our way in. We attack from behind. One of the groups. Maybe the group of five as mentioned, but I think the group directly east might be better. It will take time before either group to either side discover whats up. A surprise attack will give us time to take out one or two quickly and we rush the rest. Then maybe attack the next group if we succeed in not being discovered. I don't want to rush in to that fort with all these lizards surrounding it.

Master Penkawr can go alert the military, but how long before they get here? That could take a week, maybe more. Even if they do discover us attacking, it will draw them all to us. I say we ambush one group. I say if this one group is taken out without notice we attack the next. That will reduce their numbers and we can rush into the fort. coordinate with the soldiers inside and fight off the rest.

The group south east does look best to start from. If we start with ranged attacks from behind and focus our shots on two targets we can succeed. Kill two in surprise ranged attack. Then attack the remaining three. We can then attack the group of five north of them. I think we can do this quickly if we focus our ranged attack on two or three targets. I can cast unerring missile on all our arrows and bolts if really need. That will help improve our hitting our targets. This can work. we attack the SE group and then the east group.
Image Image
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Agreed, my friend says Worrel. We shoudl concentrate on those that seem to be leaders or capable of casting spells. That might demoralize or break the opposing forces before they clsoe with us. I can also cast Bless before we begin.

Worrel checks his bow and arrows before the fight.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Okay, sounds like you have a plan: Go now (not wait for nightfall) and approach from the southeast. You estimate you can make it to the edge of the map without being spotted. If you want to start shooting from farther away, let me know and I can make the map bigger.

Otherwise, just tell me what buff spells you want to cast during the approach and where you want to enter the map.

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

As Lola casts Bless on the party, she mumbles something about men that you can't quite make out. As she continues to mumble she will also summon a Blink Dog.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Can someone please read Unerring Weapon and confirm for me it's use. There's no bonus to attack roll, only to confirm threat? I make a normal ranged attack and if I threaten it adds +3 to confirm threat?

Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Duniagdra wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:33 pm
OUT OF CHARACTER
Can someone please read Unerring Weapon and confirm for me it's use. There's no bonus to attack roll, only to confirm threat? I make a normal ranged attack and if I threaten it adds +3 to confirm threat?

Yep, that's the effect, it improves the chance to confirm a critical hit.
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel will wait to cast Bless when Lola's spell ends. He will now wait until it is time to being shooting arrows.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

I'm pretty sure the effects of the bless spell don't stack. :(
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Duniagdra wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:33 pm Can someone please read Unerring Weapon and confirm for me it's use. There's no bonus to attack roll, only to confirm threat? I make a normal ranged attack and if I threaten it adds +3 to confirm threat?
OUT OF CHARACTER
Correct

CGM3 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:26 pm I'm pretty sure the effects of the bless spell don't stack. :(
OUT OF CHARACTER
Correct. I read Worrel's action as waiting to cast when the effects of Lola's bless end. If you're still in combat 5 minutes from now, there are probably other issues, though...

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus removes 20 bolts to cast unerring weapon prior to combat.
If anyone wishes to have the same spell cast on their ammunition, please bring it to me. No more than twenty.
OUT OF CHARACTER
So if I read it correctly regarding ammunition the spell effect will last until the ammunitions used? Would that mean if I use 5 of the 20 now the other fifteen would still be active tomorrow?
If so, that means that spell slot would not renew after appropriate rest.

Anyone wanting this effect can either give me 20 munitions and I can cast for up to 6 people, or to save spell slots give me ten each and I cast three times.

Image Image
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost upon here Marcus comment smiles and says, ...Yes, Please! holding out a bag of 20 bullets.
Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Duniagdra wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:16 pm So if I read it correctly regarding ammunition the spell effect will last until the ammunitions used? Would that mean if I use 5 of the 20 now the other fifteen would still be active tomorrow?
OUT OF CHARACTER
Duration is still 1 round/level. I read the part of the description pertaining to ammunition to mean that if you shot an arrow, then recovered it, the effect wouldn't remain for that same arrow even if you're still within the duration. Kind of a silly edge case, but I guess it matters if you're high level and/or spread the ammo around to a bunch of people. Or if an enemy picks up your miss and shoots it back at you...

I'll take some of that magic, says Tex, handing over ten arrows.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Tex can shoot two arrows a round with rapid shot, thus the ten. Given the short duration, you could just use one casting and still do five for Marcus, five for Prost, and ten for Tex.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

patransom wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:48 pm
Duniagdra wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:16 pm So if I read it correctly regarding ammunition the spell effect will last until the ammunitions used? Would that mean if I use 5 of the 20 now the other fifteen would still be active tomorrow?
OUT OF CHARACTER
Duration is still 1 round/level. I read the part of the description pertaining to ammunition to mean that if you shot an arrow, then recovered it, the effect wouldn't remain for that same arrow even if you're still within the duration. Kind of a silly edge case, but I guess it matters if you're high level and/or spread the ammo around to a bunch of people. Or if an enemy picks up your miss and shoots it back at you...

I'll take some of that magic, says Tex, handing over ten arrows.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Tex can shoot two arrows a round with rapid shot, thus the ten. Given the short duration, you could just use one casting and still do five for Marcus, five for Prost, and ten for Tex.

OUT OF CHARACTER
I'm having an issue with this sentence though.
If the spell is cast on projectiles, the effect ends on a specific projectile whenever that projectile is used to make an attack, regardless of whether the attack hits.
It reads to me as once the projectile is used, but I understand a spell cannot just last forever when it has a set duration for melee weapons. It seems to specify a difference with regard to projectile weapons. I mean they literally go out of their way to specify the case for projectiles.

Marcus takes 5 bullets from Prost and ten arrows from Tex and five bolts from his pack. He casts Unerring Weapon once all are in position and ready to attack.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Duniagdra wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:43 am I'm having an issue with this sentence though.
If the spell is cast on projectiles, the effect ends on a specific projectile whenever that projectile is used to make an attack, regardless of whether the attack hits.
It reads to me as once the projectile is used, but I understand a spell cannot just last forever when it has a set duration for melee weapons. It seems to specify a difference with regard to projectile weapons. I mean they literally go out of their way to specify the case for projectiles.
OUT OF CHARACTER
I agree that the sentence is confusing. But it doesn't say the duration no longer applies. It only specifies another way in which the effect ends. At least I read it that way. If the duration didn't apply to projectiles, there would be an unlimited supply of projectiles with a bonus to confirm criticals in the world.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

patransom wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:23 am
Duniagdra wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:43 am I'm having an issue with this sentence though.
OUT OF CHARACTER
I agree that the sentence is confusing. But it doesn't say the duration no longer applies. It only specifies another way in which the effect ends. At least I read it that way. If the duration didn't apply to projectiles, there would be an unlimited supply of projectiles with a bonus to confirm criticals in the world.

OUT OF CHARACTER
I'd be cool with that as long as I'm the only one with them. You're the DM though and I do agree with your interpretation. I just wish they'd put more thought into how they word descriptions.

Image Image

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”