Encounter at Shadow Castle Keep Part 3

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Re: [Active Thread] Encounter at Shadow Castle Keep Part 3

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex says and asks, I'd like to find out more about this. Is it far to Tula? I'd like to replenish a few items first if it is.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Jinxs-3d wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:21 pm Ardrea listens carefully to Marzena and the wizard Penkawr. Ardrea is unsure of Marzena's obligations and current responsibilities, but it's clear Marzena is committed to helping this group. As a newer member of the coven, Ardrea offers her support alongside or in place of Marzena should her duties compel her elsewhere.
ElectroZman wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:57 am Tex says and asks, I'd like to find out more about this. Is it far to Tula? I'd like to replenish a few items first if it is.
Penkawr says, Ah yes, I forget not everyone has the same history with the City State of Mages as I do. Tula is on the coast to the northeast, about 100 miles as the crow flies. Of course, you can't fly straight there like a crow, so it might take a week or a week and a half* to to get there from here, depending on the route you take. So yes, you'll probably need supplies, but you can get those in Rastingdrung. I'll go that far with you, since it's on the way. As an added bonus, if you agree to run this errand to Eligos, I'll identify the magic items you found among the lizardfolk, no charge, once we get back to Rastingdrung.
OUT OF CHARACTER
* In the Wilderlands, a week is 5 days

Marzena chimes in at this point, My sisters and I have a vested interest in whatever you can learn from this sage, too, since we've been dealing with these shoggoth creatures for some time now. Personally, I have a commitment to the men of the Keep, but Ardrea maybe you'd be willing to accompany these adventurers to Tula and learn what you can for us first hand? If I recall it right, you've had a previous encounter with the Triad cult that it seems is somehow mixed up in this?

She adds, As an additional contribution from our side, if you're willing to wait a day before departing, I can use some of the worms we recovered to make a couple of the potions I mentioned that can help fight the shoggoth and their worms.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel waits patiently before asking a question.

"You said that the Shoggoth can be harmed by magic that cures disease. Is that only spells, or other magics as well? I ask because MItra has granted me some ability to cure sickness and disease?"
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

JPetherick wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:07 pm Worrel waits patiently before asking a question.

"You said that the Shoggoth can be harmed by magic that cures disease. Is that only spells, or other magics as well? I ask because MItra has granted me some ability to cure sickness and disease?"
Marzena replies, I'm not sure... maybe? I'm not an expert on the divine powers granted by gods. Witchcraft works very differently. Maybe if you explain in more detail...
OUT OF CHARACTER
Let's assume that an in-character discussion follows that translates to game mechanics like this:
  • The spell remove disease kills worms in general and will turn a "shoggoth" into an everyday, ordinary zombie
  • Remove disease isn't on the paladin spell list, but there's a Mercy (Diseased) that lets a paladin use it via his lay on hands
  • Worrel doesn't currently have that Mercy, but if you want to retcon your 6th level choice and swap out for it, that's fine

Jinxs-3d
BARON
BARON

Post by Jinxs-3d »

Ardrea looks over at Marzena. Sister, this spell is one I do not possess. Perhaps we can arrange a trade between our familiars. It would seem to be in the interest of all to arm ourselves appropriately.
Teucer Argent - Zen Archer
Image Ardrea - Jinx Witch
Image Mazer: Goblin Champion
Image Arkyat, Orc Thaumaturge
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel replies, "So, this infection to make shoggoths is something that I cannot treat, at present. I can aspire to attaining such, though."

"Do you know if this transformation provides other protection to the shoggoth? The seemed to respond like most undead when I invoked Mitra's light upon them."
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola says Tomorrow I will be able to have the ability to remove disease, I will just need to take time and pray for it.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Jinxs-3d wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:55 pm Ardrea looks over at Marzena. Sister, this spell is one I do not possess. Perhaps we can arrange a trade between our familiars. It would seem to be in the interest of all to arm ourselves appropriately.
Marzena replies, Aha! I wasn't aware that spell hadn't made its way completely around the coven yet. Our familiars can take care of that while I prepare the potions.
JPetherick wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:26 pm Worrel replies, "So, this infection to make shoggoths is something that I cannot treat, at present. I can aspire to attaining such, though."

"Do you know if this transformation provides other protection to the shoggoth? The seemed to respond like most undead when I invoked Mitra's light upon them."
Everything Marzena knows about the shoggoths is here.

Since there are no objections to either Penkawr's or Marzena's plans, the party remains one more day at Shadow Castle Keep. During this time, Ardrea adds Remove Disease to her spell list and, using the worms the party collected, Marzena prepares two potions: one of Shoggoth Worm Paste and one of Shoggothbane Oil.
OUT OF CHARACTER
I have put these on the list of treasure to divide up (see below). Their effects are described here.

The party (now including Ardrea) then accompanies Master Penkawr back to the miserable mining town of Rastingdrung. The trip takes two days, but is uneventful. Once home, Penkawr, as promised, identifies the loot from the lizardfolk lair.
OUT OF CHARACTER
The LOOT LIST has been updated. Let's use that thread to divide up the treasure (presumably to include Ardrea, since she's the only one who can use some of Marcus' gear). Once that's done, I'll start a new thread for the journey to Tula, City State of Mages.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: Encounter at Shadow Castle Keep Part 3

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
New thread is here, in case you've subscribed to this one

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”