[Active Thread] The Hall of Harsh Reflections

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Re: [Active Thread] The Hall of Harsh Reflections

Post by ElectroZman »

OUT OF CHARACTER
How much can we perceive from where we are?
How much time do we have before they get to the tunnel? Do we need to run?

Looking at the map, it seems we should head up and then left along the XX06 and XX05 rows.

If Tex can see this, he'll double move to 3711 and take a closer look. This way.

Perception:
Jinxs-3d
BARON
BARON

Post by Jinxs-3d »

It looks pretty crowded, anyone see any way around or thru the crowd? I'm thinking to our left.
Teucer Argent - Zen Archer
Image Ardrea - Jinx Witch
Image Mazer: Goblin Champion
Image Arkyat, Orc Thaumaturge
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost comments... Ay, I think it looks better to work our way to the right. As Prost stands on top of Fluffy to get a better view.
Prost then begins to move Fluffy to the right working his way over to 3208 (double move)...
Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

smeltdm wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:25 am Prost comments... Ay, I think it looks better to work our way to the right. As Prost stands on top of Fluffy to get a better view.
Prost then begins to move Fluffy to the right working his way over to 3208 (double move)...
Correction on my perception roll. I used the wrong skill point, should have been 12, not 8. So perception roll is a 21.

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

OUT OF CHARACTER
What is the building directly north of us? Can we tell if it is a business that might have a back or side entrance that we could use?

Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

OUT OF CHARACTER
From what I can tell, the parade is about to pass through the tunnel in one of the "spoke walls" that divide the city into eight districts. Unless a bypass route can rejoin the main street ahead of the parade before it reaches the tunnel entrance, we'll be S.O.L. Given that the party would be "flying blind" (possible dead ends, lack of connections back to the main road) if we tried a detour, the best option would seem to be--

I'm afraid our best chance is to bull our way through, Cyrius declares. I hope one of you is good at apologizing.

OUT OF CHARACTER
What sort of check, if any, is applicable? Or does 'bull our way through' initiate something regardless?

Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
More explanations/answers:
  • You can see pretty much the whole map since it's daylight
  • You're not sure how much time you have to get ahead of this throng since their speed is a bit erratic. You probably don't need to run, though.
  • Your perception checks don't reveal anything additional at this time, but I'll keep them in mind for now. They might be important later.
  • The buildings along this street do not appear to be businesses. They likely belong to various temples/religious orders or are residences, so it's hard to guess what will happen if you try to cut through.
  • CGM3 hasthe gist of the situation: if you don't get ahead of the parade, you'll be forced to accept a long delay, ask for directions for an alternate route, or wander aimlessly hoping to get lucky
  • No checks are needed to pass through the crowd. Just count the occupied squares as difficult terrain. We're not in initiative order right now, I'm just seeing how many actions this all takes (for science or something; I'm sure there's nothing to worry about :devil: )
  • Coordinates are helpful, but not required. If you want to just say "I head x direction trying to find the fastest way through the crowd" and want to trust me to put you somewhere, that's fine, too.
Right now I have:
  • Tex to 3711 (toward the right/top of map, thinking of moving along the XX06 and XX05 rows)
  • Prost to 3208 (also toward the right/top of map)
  • Ardrea thinking left/bottom of map
You're not required to all follow the same route, of course. Feel free to change plans, ask questions, etc. I'll update the map and situation once I've got an action from everyone.

Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola agrees with Tex to go up to 4008 and then over to 3008 (as it is now, only 2 people block that square) and then up to 3005/3006 and then 0005/0006.
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Cool.

Tex says, It looks less crowded this way.

Then he moves through the crowd to 3107, then moves along the northern route (mostly the xx06 line) until he reaches the left side of the map. Eventually ending up at 0009 or so. He tries to note his surroundings and people as he goes occasionally taking in the spectacle of the parade when he can.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost will make his way on Fluffy (double move) to the XX06 row and run west on the XX06 row.

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel cranes his head, looking for a way around or through the crowd.

He jogs along behind Prost and Fluffy, thinking that is the quickest way around the crowd.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Also moving towards the ##06 row

Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
Jinxs-3d
BARON
BARON

Post by Jinxs-3d »

Ardrea will follow behind the others as they take off to the right (top of the map). She's not very big and they can probably create better holes in the crowd. She will attempt to follow on the heels of the others.

It's probably best if we stay together. This crowd could easily get us separated and someone lost or left behind.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius will follow Worrell, whoise base speed should be 20 ft (in his armor). Assuming he double moves, it should take ten rounds to get to the 00 column.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

By avoiding getting too close to the parade, the party finds a relatively easy way through the crowd, with only a little bit of bumping or making excuses needed. Once they reach the clearest route, Fluffy (carrying Prost) scampers a bit ahead of the rest of the group, who keep together, either intentionally or because they happen to move at about the same speed.

Just as the main group of the party draws about even with the middle wagon, something completely unexpected happens. The three-headed lion-like creature (big red C) emits another line of electricity from its dragon head. By itself, the lightning does nothing to the outer glass cage. However, this particular breath-bolt seems to have found a weak point in the inner iron cage, which creaks a bit, then collapses into individual bars. Without the inner iron cage to support it, the outer glass cage shatters into shards that rain down on the creature, making it more angry than it already was. It roars with its lion head and flaps its wings.

The street performers react in fright and begin to cower. The rest of the crowd gasps but, unsure if this is part of the show or not, makes no immediate move to safety...

OUT OF CHARACTER
Completely unexpected, right?

Red dotted line around the creature shows the space it takes up (it's large)

We'll be initiative order now... Lola rolled poorly, but everyone else gets a chance to act before the creature and crowd go. Then we will move to full validations.

Round 1 Begins
1. Ardrea
2. Tex
3. Prost
4. Fluffy
5. Worrel
6. Cyrius
7. Three-headed lion creature (big red C)
8. Performers and Bystanders (P and B)
----> DM Posts
Round 1 Continues
1. Lola
Round 2 Begins
2. Ardrea
3. Tex
4. Prost
5. Fluffy
6. Worrel
7. Cyrius
8. Three-headed lion creature (big red C)
9. Performers and Bystanders (P and B)
----> DM Posts

ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex mutters a dwarvish curse as he pulls out his bow and knocks an arrow. He steps to 1707 and looks closer at the beast. Does he recognize it?
Knowledge Nature:

ug
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel slides his shield into place as he moves closer to the creature. As he advances, he studies the creature in an effort to determine if it is real or a complicated illusion to entertain the crowd.

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius manifests his mind blade in longsword form and steps up with Worrel.
Jinxs-3d
BARON
BARON

Post by Jinxs-3d »

Ardrea will roll to see if she can recall knowledge nature on the formally caged three-headed lightning spewing creature.

She will delay and follow behind and just off to the side of Worrel and Cyrius.

If she is within 30 feet, she will attempt to hex the creature with Evil Eye (saving throws) DC 17.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Dammit! Prost curses as he guides Fluffy with his knees to 1507, freeing his hands to load his sling staff. Attempting a fast dismount to then go stealthy into the crowd @ 1507; hiding behind fluffy or in the crowd.
I used the wrong modifier, should be a +6 so roll should be 14.
I used the wrong modifier, should be a +6 so roll should be 14.
OUT OF CHARACTER
I don't think hiding is working since I failed the fast dismount...move action to dismount

ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex says, Definitely not a natural beast. Its Magical.
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola readies her crossbow and waits to see what is exactly going on, she will be ready to fire if the cage and cart do not hold the beast.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 1 Begins

After realizing she knows quite a bit about the creature (PM sent), Ardrea delays...

Tex mutters a dwarvish curse as he pulls out his bow and knocks an arrow. He steps forward and points out, Definitely not a natural beast. It's Magical.

Dammit! Prost curses as he guides Fluffy with his knees back toward the party, freeing his hands to load his sling staff. He spends the rest of his round climbing off Fluffy.

Worrel slides his shield into place as he moves closer to the creature. As he advances, he studies the creature in an effort to determine if it is real or a complicated illusion to entertain the crowd. The creature seems very real to him.

Cyrius manifests his mind blade in longsword form and steps up with Worrel.

Ardrea follows behind and just off to the side of Worrel and Cyrius. She hexes the creature with an Evil Eye...

The creature makes its Will save against the Evil Eye (duration reduced to 1 round). Feeling Ardrea's unpleasant gaze upon it, the creature's lion head roars and its dragon head babbles at her in an unfamiliar language. The beast flaps its wings furiously and rises awkwardly into the air. Although its intent appears to be to fly toward Ardrea, it becomes unbalanced in the air and crashes down and to the left, landing next to the unfortunate horse pulling its wagon. It lashes out angrily at the horse. Clawing, goring, and biting, it rips the animal to pieces, spraying hunks of horse flesh everywhere [34 hp damage kills the horse]

Covered in horse blood, the crowd gets the idea this is not entertainment and begins to flee. The performers variously try to hide behind the wagons or keep the other horses from bolting.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Red dotted line around the creature shows the space it takes up (it's large). Red outlined horse is dead.

Round 1 Continues
1. Lola
Round 2 Begins
2. Tex - bow readied
3. Prost - loaded slingstaff readied
4. Fluffy
5. Worrel - shield readied
6. Cyrius - mind blade longsword readied
7. Ardrea
8. Three-headed lion creature (big red C) - Evil Eye (-2 saves) 1 round left

ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex mutters to himself, 'next time, Gravity bow..'

He takes deadly aim, rapidly firing 4 arrows at the beast in 3 shots, from just inside point blank range.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost lets fly a bullet at the beast...commentsFluffy defend me
and Prost reloads.

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

"Stay behind me!," says Worrel to his companions.

He holds up his shield for when the creature tires of eating the horse.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius moves to 1509 to get a clear shot and flings his mind blade at the creature.
Jinxs-3d
BARON
BARON

Post by Jinxs-3d »

I think Ardrea is still within 30ft of the Chimera.
She will again Hex the Chimera with Evil Eye (-2 AC) this time. DC17.
In addition, she will use her move action to use her Hex Cackle and extend the duration of her Evil Eye effects for one additional round.
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will let a crossbow bolt fly at the beast.

To Hit: 16
Damage: 4
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 1 Continues

Lola readies her crossbow and lets a bolt fly at the beast. She misses.

Round 2 Begins

Tex mutters to himself, next time, Gravity bow... He releases a mighty exhale of breath, as if the heave would force more power behind the flurry of arrows he launches toward the beast. His first shot of two arrows misses, but the other two missiles find their mark with deadly aim [30 hp damage, including the confirmed critical]

Prost lets fly a bullet that misses the beast...comments Fluffy defend me and reloads. Fluffy readies to defend his master...

Stay behind me! says Worrel to his companions. He holds up his shield for when the creature tires of eating the horse.

Cyrius moves to get a clear shot and flings his mind blade at the creature. The spinning blade connects with an impressive thwacking sound [5 hp damage]

Ardrea again Hexes the Chimera with Evil Eye and cackles to extend the duration. Her hex is very effective [the creature rolled a 1 on its save]

Tex's arrows have distracted the creature from its meal, it launches itself into the air, manages to fly somewhat straight, and comes crashing down right in front of the dwarf. Before it can attack, though...

Fluffy snaps at the creature twice as it arrives. The first of his lunging bites entrenches into the creature's leg [6 hp damage from the attack of opportunity]. The second misses [a readied attack thanks to the defend command]. Fluffy tries to pull the creature off its feet, but is not heavy enough [trip attempt failed]...

The monster ignores the dog and bites Tex with its dragon head. Its teeth withdraw with an awful tearing sound [12 hp damage]

The bystanders continue to flee the scene. Some of the street performers reposition to put their wagons between themselves and the beast. One (the deeper purple one at 2013) who's still out in the open, managing one of the horses, shouts in the party's general direction, "Try not to kill it, if you can. It's very valuable!"

OUT OF CHARACTER
Red dotted line around the creature shows the space it takes up (it's large). Red outlined horse is dead.

Round 1 Continues
1. Lola - unloaded crossbow readied, 74 bolts left
Round 2 Begins
2. Tex - bow readied, 36 arrows left, 12 hp damage
3. Prost - loaded slingstaff readied, 48 bullets left
4. Fluffy
5. Worrel - shield readied
6. Cyrius
7. Ardrea
8. Three-headed lion creature (big red C) - Evil Eye (-2 saves) 1 round left, Evil Eye (-2 AC) 8 rounds left, 41 hp damage

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Then you should've made more effort to keep it caged, Cyrius retorts dryly as he manifests his mind blade once more as a longsword (free action), charges it with psychic energy (move action) and strikes at the beast (standard action):

His original intention of using his Shield of Blinding on the chimera was abandoned when it changed position, lest he blind his teammates as well.

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”