{Modern Setting} The Whispering Cave (Entrance)

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Re: [Active Thread] The Wispering Cave (Entrance)

Post by tdsprouse »

Coming out, found a couple things...

Brad crawls out, gently pushing the newly found items in front of him.

While dusting himself off...
Found this Lantern, which may have something to do with that fresco over there. Also found this armband. Dont really know anything about it though.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Linda promptly hauls out her Sorian counter and uses it to gauge the lantern and the armband.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Neither item registers any uptick on the Sorian counter. The lantern does indeed look just like the one in the fresco.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Nothing huh? Is there a place to hang a lantern over there. Brad Picks up the braclet, stuffs it in his pocket, and starts walking the lantern to the Fresco
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

There's no place to hang a lantern anywhere near the fresco.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Stowing the Sorian counter in her Prada handbag, Linda unlimbers the flashlight. Could be we'll have to hang the lantern in a corridor that matches the picture in the fresco, she opines. Or there may not be anythng to it. In either case, looks like we have only one way to go from here, down the stairs and towards the light. After you, guys.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Brad holds the lantern up to the matching panel on the fresco, touches the wall with his free hand.

Does the Lantern open? I wonder if it needs lit?
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Touching the wall with the lantern in hand does nothing.

The lantern does indeed open. There is a bracket inside that looks designed to hold a candle, but the lantern is large enough that a flashlight or even a short torch would fit inside, too.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Brad shines his falshlight through the Indigo Lantern on to the matching wall.

There's just got to be something to this thing, i mean it matches the painting.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

I think Linda is right. Either way, it is strange to see stairs built in to a cave, let alone have strange colored lanterns here as well. Lets go down the stairs and check out what is going on down there. Sahid moves over towards the stairs.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Shining the flashlight through the lantern to the the matching section of fresco does nothing interesting. With the flashlight inside, the lantern refracts a nice radius of indigo-tinted light (which might be more useful than the directional light from the flashlight, your call...).

Sahid and Linda move over to the stairs.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Can't fit the entire distance you can see down the stairs on the current map, but there's nothing interesting to see yet: the stairs go 20 feet horizontally, 10 feet down, then open into a large chamber. Can't make out the details of the chamber from where you are, but you know it's big. I will make a new map for the downstairs area if/when you descend the stairs...

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Huh. Well, at least it makes for a good light. Brad leaves his flashlight in the Lantern and heads down the stairs after the others.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Down you go!

The wide stairway descends into an immense domed chamber. Seven short tunnels branch from the room in all directions. At the terminus of the north passage, opposite the entry stairs, a thick chain dangles from an unseen high ceiling. A bright green lantern dangles from the chain. The green lantern is lit by some object inside and casts a weird, murky light about the room. Countless chips of glass and shiny metal inset into the chamber’s domed ceiling reflect this light, giving the impression of starlight and falling snow.

Thanks to the green light, you won't need your flashlights in the center part of the room, although you might if you decide to explore any of the other branching passages.

The dome of the chamber starts about ten feet off the ground and reaches an apex about thirty feet over the center of the room. There, below the dome’s peak, a long dais holds what appears to be a marble sarcophagus. A milky white bas-relief of a humanoid figure is set into the sarcophagus lid. Unlike the entrance area upstairs, this room is completely silent.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Linda Thompson rummages in her Prada handbag and extracts a TEC-10 machine pistol. Anything that wants to jump out and go Boo had better have its insurance paid up! she declares to the chamber in general. Y'know, I betcha this is what that fresco is picturing, bar that Hammer Films coffin there. We've got the green lantern dead ahead, and I'll be real surprised if those other corridors don't match the expected colors. But I think we might want to look at that coffin first, real carefully.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Sahid, can you take some pictures from here and then get some good shots of that sarcophagus.

Brad turns off his light, draws his gun, and slowly makes his way to the dias.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Sahid snaps a couple general pictures of the area, including the corridors and then moves up to the sarcophagus to get better detail pictures
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Linda proceeds to 1920 and shines her flashlight down the corridor there.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Brad moves to the Dias with Sahid, but keeping an eye on Linda as well.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Linda moves over to the southeast passage and shines her flashlight down it. At the edge of the range of her light, she can see a violet-colored lantern dangling from a thick chain. Except for the color, the lantern appears identical to the indigo lantern you found upstairs and the green lantern that is providing light for most of the chamber. The violet lantern, unlike the green one, is not lit.

Sahid takes several pictures, then moves up onto the dias next to the sarcophagus for some closeups. Brad follows him. The sarcophagus rests upon a small raised platform carved in the shape of a stylistic arrow, with the tip aligned with the head of the relief figure upon the lid and a short "shaft" extending from the foot of the sarcophagus (should be pretty obvious from the map).

The lid of the sarcophagus bears a white stone relief of a tall figure cloaked in a simple garment of flowing cloth. The figure at first looks human, but a cursory examination reveals that it is about 7 feet tall, is completely hairless, and is of indeterminate sex. Its arms and hands rest at its side. The left hand curls upon itself in a fist, but the right is placed palm up, with the thumb turned in and all but the index finger held parallel to the arm. The figure wears a scarab-like amulet around its neck, inscribed with a glyph that appears somewhat similar, but not identical, to the large glyph found on the broken-mirror-frame-apparatus-thingie upstairs.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Look there, it looks like his finger's been broken off. Brad looks around the sarcophogus for a seam, or any indication that it could be opened.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Linda steps to 2215 and shines her light into the opening, confidently expecting to see another short corridor, this one with an empty attachment for a lantern dangling from the ceiling at its end.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Wish I had studied ancient languages more. This glyph here on this fellows necklace is similiar to the glyph on the stone artifact from the other room. Seems like he was not as important if I am reading it correctly though. Sahid snaps a shot of the necklace

Now lets take a look at that missing finger Sahid checks out the hand that has the missing finger and snaps a picture.

Looking over to where Linda and seeing the unlit lantern, he thinks for a moment. Do you guys suppose that this is some type of ancient puzzle? That green lantern in the front and the number of corridors follow the pattern of the frescoe upstairs. The sarcophogus points down what would be the orange corridor if my guess is correct. What do you suppose it means?
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

While looking for a seam... Yeah, i'm sure its related. Do we have any candles, or by chance, more flashlights? we could try to light up these lanterns.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Are you trying to open it? Don't you watch horror movies?
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Of course I'm not trying to open it. yet. Just looking to see if it can be opened. Brad says with a smile.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

The sarcophagus has a seam near the top. The top portion with the relief of the figure on it is obviously the lid and could be lifted off.

The index finger of the figure has indeed been broken off. This appears to be the work of vandals, not some intentional puzzle trick by the sarcophagus designer.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Well, I think we should consider opening it, but not now. lets see if we can get these lanterns lit up. I imagine it would look quite amazing in here.

Brad walks to the next hallway, Puts his Flashlight back in teh Indigo Lantern andtrys to find where it goes.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Of course, Linda (still at 2215 shining her light down the corridor) remarks pleasantly, lighting all the lanterns may initiate something we really don't want to start. Or not. That's what makes it interesting.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

tdsprouse wrote:Well, I think we should consider opening it, but not now. lets see if we can get these lanterns lit up. I imagine it would look quite amazing in here.

Brad walks to the next hallway, Puts his Flashlight back in teh Indigo Lantern andtrys to find where it goes.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Next hallway meaning which one?

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry, meant the next one, counter-clockwise from where Linda is, and we can each leap frog each other verifying what is in each hallway before we decide on teh next course of action

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”