Exploring the Temple of Inanna

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Exploring the Temple of Inanna

Post by patransom »

The party is quite tired from the drawn out battle with this particular group of cultists, but first they make a sweep of the remaining areas of this section of ancient catacombs, just to make sure it's safe to rest. Here is what they find:
Inanna.jpg
- Rooms 2, 4, 5, and 11 have already been thoroughly searched and all loot collected.

- Room 3 was entered quickly, but not searched. Blankets cover the floor of this chamber, surrounding a wooden crate atop which stands a small, crude statue of a six-armed humanoid figure. A few battered weapons, spears, clubs, and flails lean against the far wall. Stone pegs carved into the wall light this area with flickering, bright flames. The weapons here are basically worthless, but after a quick search to make sure nothing was missed, Tex finds a loose flagstone near the statue of Inanna. Underneath he discovers a golden holy symbol of Innana and the broken blade of a silver ceremonial dagger. (These items will be added to the Loot list for later sale.)

- Room 6: a good bit of combat took place here, but a more thorough check reveals more about the room. A tapestry depicting a six-armed, vicious-looking woman carrying a bewildering variety of weapons dominates one wall. Neglected and lying on the floor beneath the edge of the tapestry is a a plain silver ring inlaid with several small emeralds. There's a bit of blood on it, so perhaps it was dropped during the combat. (This also will be added to the Loot list for later sale.)

- Room 7 is obviously a barracks. Two sets of bunk beds are set along the far wall of this chamber, with a thick, bearskin rug between them. Three wooden stools are arranged on the rug, while a weapon rack sports several javelins, a bow, several quivers filled with arrows, and a sword. (These weapons will also get added to the Loot list; we can discuss whether anyone needs the arrows or something in that thread.)

- Room 8 looks like it might have been quarters for some of the priests. Light from a pair of torches casts strange shadows across the blood-red walls of this chamber. Two wooden chairs are set opposite each other around a round table. Upon the table rests a thick, leather-bound book, a rusty dagger, a quill, inkpot, and several sheets of parchment. A wooden screen blocks off half the room near a large bed covered in blankets and furs. Most significantly, someone is alive here. A male half-elf sits nearly naked, bound and gagged, on the floor next to the screen that divides the room. (This is a new PC who will be joining you to replace Filge, so you'll want to rescue him and find out his story!) Additional searching in this room also discovers a large chest hidden beneath the bed. Although it is locked, Prost easily opens it. In addition to a whole lot of interesting gear that belongs to the half-elf, the chest contains a few items that he will indicate are not his: 200 gp in coins, a wand of enlarge person (with 42 charges, easily identified by Marcus), and a jeweled bracer. (More to get added to the Loot list; Marcus or Lola will probably want the wand, you can discuss in that thread).

- Room 9 is a small chapel. A pair of torches mounted on long, iron poles shed flickering light across this chamber. A small stone altar stands between the two torches. A red tapestry emblazoned with the symbol of Inanna hangs from the wall behind the altar. Four statues of men clad in chainmail and leather masks, each carrying a greataxe, stand along the wall, two on each side of the altar. Something tells you that further searching might be warranted in this room... (I'll let you decide what to do here and roll the checks yourself).

- Room 10: the door is locked, but the key recovered from Theldrick opens it easily. This cramped, spartan chamber is obviously someone’s living quarters. A small bed is set in the corner to the left. Next to the bed is a short table holding a leather-bound book, an inkpot, a stone key, and several scrolls. A small chair with velvet cushions sits before the table. On the wall to the right stands a weapons rack that holds a mace, two flails, and a light crossbow. A wooden chest rests below the rack. The weapons on the rack have no special abilities or qualities, while the chest is empty (but I'll add the weapons to the Loot list, since you can sell them). The table holds the true items of interest here. The scrolls appear blank, but, using detect magic, Marcus sees a weak aura of universal magic on them. The stone key is marked with a crudely drawn figure who has two heads and, apparently, four tentacles instead of two arms. The book is filled with writing in the local common language of Ghinoran. It would take a bit of time to read through the entire thing, but perhaps it would provide some useful information...[/list]

So, Rooms 8, 9, and 10 have people/things for you to make some decisions about. Post here regarding them and we will (hopefully quickly) finish this section of dungeon and let you (finally) rest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Re: [Active Thread] Exploring the Temple of Inanna

Post by smeltdm »

Obviously the half-elf in no friend to The Temple of Inanna; we should free him; introduce ourselves; and ask if he would honor us by joining our group. Once the half-elf has his gear back, and we have checked out the book on the table and any other items of interest in this room, then we should move on to the other two rooms. Room 9 to conduct further searching & then on to room 10 to investigate the items on the table.
OUT OF CHARACTER
We need to stay together as we move through the rooms... ;), seperation makes you dead... :devil: just saying...

Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius will remind the others that at least one of their foes seems to have escaped, so they shouldn't tarry overlong. He will suggest that the half-elf might be safer with them than striking out on his own, and thinks they should search rooms 9 & 10 while he stands guard in room 8.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel spits the gag from his mouth when someone loosens it, wriggling around so that his rescuers can release his bonds. After briefly studying his rescuers, the half-elf speaks in a quiet but firm voice.

[talk]Over there - the corner by the bed - someone came in invisible and went through what sounded like a trap door! Untie me and let me get my armor on and I'll lead the way.[/talk] After waiting for someone to untie him, the half-elf remembers to introduce himself. [talk]I'm Worrell Treeson, holy warrior of Mitra. Free me, please, and together we'll wreak vengeance upon these cultists![/talk]
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus will untie the half-elf. He will also lend AID to anyone searching room 9.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will make sure the half elf is ok physically and then help with the searches has suggested by the party. [talk]before we move on down the trap door we really need to rest. Lets put something heavy on it so it cannot be opened, finish our searching and then rest fully and then move on.[/talk]
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[talk]Since it sounds like the surviving priestess came through here, it might not be wise to linger anywhere down here,[/talk] Cyrius reasons. [talk]If she comes back with help, they might be able to force their way past any obstacle we place there, or enter this level through some other way and come at us from two directions at once. I suggest we search these chambers, then either push on or withdraw to rest.[/talk]
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

[talk]Agreed[/talk] Prost nodes to Cyrius... [talk]We should get on with in then[/talk] As soon as everyone is ready to follow, Prost moves into the small chapel and starts searching, from left to right, watching for traps, particularly around the four statues of men clad in chainmail and leather masks on either side of the altar.

[ooc]Assuming 5 rolls, one each for two statues, altar, last two statues from left to right[/ooc]

Perception check 1: [dice]5[/dice] add +2 for traps
Perception check 2: [dice]6[/dice] add +2 for traps
Perception check 3: [dice]7[/dice] add +2 for traps
Perception check 4: [dice]8[/dice] add +2 for traps
Perception check 5: [dice]9[/dice] add +2 for traps

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

[talk]I think we need to rest, to push on would be folly. We're out of magic, and beat up pretty bad. I say we spike the trap door, and pile some heavy stuff on top at least, before we head back to town.[/talk]

[talk]Worrel, nice to meet you, how long have you been here?[/talk] Tex asks, as they continue the search in the chapel.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Worrel is now free and has re-equipped himself. The book in Room 8 turns out to be a diary, written in Amazon. If Lola or Tex decides to read it, they will find it to be entirely concerned with very graphic descriptions of Kendra's sexual conquests.

Prost's search of Room 9 turns up nothing, even with help (aid another) from Marcus. Perhaps your instincts were wrong and there is nothing more to find here.

- Rooms 2 through 7 and 11 have already been thoroughly searched and all loot collected.

- Room 8 has been thoroughly searched, except for the trapdoor that Worrel pointed out in the corner near the bed. You suspect Kendra escaped, invisibly, through there.

- Room 9 is a small chapel. A pair of torches mounted on long, iron poles shed flickering light across this chamber. A small stone altar stands between the two torches. A red tapestry emblazoned with the symbol of Inanna hangs from the wall behind the altar. Four statues of men clad in chainmail and leather masks, each carrying a greataxe, stand along the wall, two on each side of the altar. Although the room initially appeared interesting, Prost's and Marcus' search turned up nothing.

- Room 10: the door is locked, but the key recovered from Theldrick opens it easily. This cramped, spartan chamber is obviously someone’s living quarters. A small bed is set in the corner to the left. Next to the bed is a short table holding a leather-bound book, an inkpot, a stone key, and several scrolls. A small chair with velvet cushions sits before the table. On the wall to the right stands a weapons rack that holds a mace, two flails, and a light crossbow. A wooden chest rests below the rack. The weapons on the rack have no special abilities or qualities, while the chest is empty (but I'll add the weapons to the Loot list, since you can sell them). The table holds the true items of interest here. The scrolls appear blank, but, using detect magic, Marcus sees a weak aura of universal magic on them. The stone key is marked with a crudely drawn figure who has two heads and, apparently, four tentacles instead of two arms. The book is filled with writing in the local common language of Ghinoran. It would take a bit of time to read through the entire thing, but perhaps it would provide some useful information...
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

After all of the searching is complete, Lola again suggests we lock/cover/guard the trap door and rest until fully healed and respelled before going down the trap door.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost agree's with Lola and also suggest that we take time to rest.
OUT OF CHARACTER
While eveyone is resting Prost would be exploring small chaple (room 9), curiosity, again... does patransom want to roll or I can? roll below...

Prost curiosityShow
Perception check 1: [dice]0[/dice] add +2 for traps
Perception check 2: [dice]1[/dice] add +2 for traps
Perception check 3: [dice]2[/dice] add +2 for traps
Perception check 4: [dice]3[/dice] add +2 for traps
Perception check 5: [dice]4[/dice] add +2 for traps

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]Hint: Room 10 still contains items that are worth examining. I will handle Prost's re-search for Room 9 after you take a gander at Room 10.[/ooc]
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel stands guard while the others search, placing himself between the trapdoor and them. He still doesn't know who escaped through there but these newfound companions seem to think that it was the female who had taunted him while he was a captive.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost hears a little voice in his head...THINKING: I should check the room to right first

Prost moves to the small room to the right, spends some time looking over the leather-bound book, and searches the room (rm 10)...

Perception check: [dice]0[/dice]

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will rest for a bit and then go help with the search of rooms (10 in particular.)

[dice]0[/dice]
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius will keep Worrel company, and read some of the book from Room 10.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex follows the others around, pointing at things. [talk]Hey, did you look here?[/talk]

[ooc]He's taking 10 on Perception to search, using Aid Another this will give a +2 to the main searcher. (I suggest the others do this as well. And, if possible, the main searcher should just take 20 since we have a little time)[/ooc]
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus points out that it's likely the trap door is an exit. If we leave we lose the chance of finding the last who fled. He's in agreement that rest is required and that doing so here has risks, but allowing the last cultist to escape could be more dangerous.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Prost, with help from Lola and Tex, searches Room 10. Under the bed, he finds a chest. It is locked, but the key recovered from Theldrick opens it. Inside are 70 gp and a fist-sized gold bust of a dwarf wearing a gem-studded crown (these items will be added to the Loot list). There are also several items of interest on the table:

- A stone key marked with a crudely drawn figure who has two heads and, apparently, four tentacles instead of two arms. No one seems particularly interested in this, so it continues to sit on the table.
- Several scrolls. These appear blank, but, using detect magic, Marcus sees a weak aura of universal magic on them. No one seems to care about this odd result from Marcus, so they also sit on the table.
- The leather-bound book is filled with writing in the local common language of Ghinoran. Cyrius' initial examination reveals that it appears to be Theldrick’s record of the cultists activities. Reading it in detail will take one hour.

Prost also re-examines Room 9, with additional help from Lola and Tex. This time he finds:

- a small (bread box sized) secret compartment in the wall behind the tapestry.

Finally, the party discusses resting, but Marcus points out that there might be some urgency because:

- Kendra probably escaped through the trapdoor in Room 8. If the party stops to rest, she could get away and do something dangerous.
OUT OF CHARACTER
At this point several options face the party, hinted at by the underlined items above. I'd like consensus on the following decisions:

1. Block the trapdoor and the main entrance to this section, then rest fully.
2. Pursue Kendra through the trapdoor. Note that, with all the searching, she already has about 15 minutes on you.

Regardless of the party's choice of 1 or 2, you have several other items to examine:

a. The stone key: take it with you or leave it behind?
b. The blank, but magical, scrolls: take them with you, examine them further (could take time, depending on what you do), or leave them behind?
c. Theldrick's book: take it for later examination or read it now (will take an hour)?
d. The small secret compartment behind the altar: search it/open it (won't take much time unless you take 20) or ignore it?

As always, you could do something completely different. I'm just trying to outline your options.

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola once again states her point of view. [talk]"We will not catch her since she: was invisible; went somewhere we know nothing about; has a big lead. If we follow now (no healing, no spells...) we could be walking into our own death trap. I think we need to make sure the trap door cannot be opened and then rest and look over this stuff we just found."[/talk] She looks very stern about this and looks like she will not be going with, even if you decide to go.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost listens to the amazon's rant and decides that what she is saying making good sense... [talk]The amazon's right. We shouldn't go chasing after Kendra down some rat hole, unless of course you’re in a hurry to die.[/talk]
[ooc]Do we know Kendra's name? :hmm: If not I guess it is her or him. I think it was a him.[/ooc] Prost goes on to support Lola's position by suggesting... [talk]We should secure our position here, block the main & trap doors. Then while we rest we can examine our new finds.[/talk] Prost goes on... [talk]I will read that book we found from cover to cover. Nothing like reading a good book while you rest. Besides, there may be some clue in it to be found about that secret compartment behind the altar. Then I think I will have a go at checking it out.[/talk] Prost also suggest that someone should take a look at the stone key and scrolls on the table were took the book from.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Can someone use this? It appears to be unclaimed.

OUT OF CHARACTER
If we are resting Prost will take 20.

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius will examine the stone key to see if it means anything to him. He also agrees that the secret compartment in Room #9 be explored.
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel looks over from where he is guarding the trapdoor. He quietly says to his new companions, [talk]I believe that I may be able to use Mitra's blessing and heal some of your injuries, if you wish.[/talk]
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex grumbles his agreement in not wanting to run after and invisible foe, 15 minutes behind, with no magic support.

[talk]A Stone key, huh? Can i take a look at that?[/talk] He takes the key after Cyrius is done, and walks around the complex for a bit with the key, studying it, looking at the walls, alters, statues, trying to figure out if the key matches with something here.

[ooc]Stonecunning is (by RAW) +2 perception to notice unusual stonework/trap/hidden door, but Tex might be able to give us a clue.

Also, we should not leave anything of note behind.[/ooc]
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

The party blocks the trapdoor and rests, taking advantage of Worrel's healing first.

[ae]Status after full rest:
Worrel: uninjured
Evan Prost: 7 hp damage
Marcus Tilsworth: 10 hp damage
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: uninjured
Lola: 1 hp damage
Texudus TreeBender: uninjured

Lola and Worrel: Please post or PM me your memorized spells for today[/ae]During the rest period, Prost carefully examines the secret compartment (taking 20). He finds that there is a trap, which he manages to disable. Inside the compartment is a box containing: a golden chalice, two silver holy symbols of Inanna, a pearl of power (1st level), and a silvered dagger with a jeweled hilt. (loot list updated)

Cyrius and Tex make an effort to determine the use of the stone key. After an exhaustive search, they discover that it goes to the trap door in the shack back in the Black Cathedral (where you first entered, remember? See here). It's not particularly useful, then, because Prost already dealt with the lock on that door. Tex does note that the carved image on the key is rather poor workmanship.

Finally, while resting, a couple of party members read Theldrick's Journal, finding it replete with information (pdf attached below).

[ooc]Kendra, for the record, is female. Her picture is here. You know her name from Theldrick yelling at her.

After resting, you now have several obvious options for further exploration:
- the trapdoor through which Kendra escaped
- the trapdoor back in the Black Cathedral
- the door to the south back in the Black Cathedral[/ooc]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

[ooc]was the resting enough to get spells back?[/ooc]
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost filling better, although not at 100%, after resting raises the question of what should be done next... [talk]From what I have read in the journal we found it appears that they were looking for something within or under the Black Cathedral. I say we should return to the cathedral check out the door to the south and then check out the pit with the trap door over it.[/talk] Thinking for a moment... then commenting more [talk]The journal did mention the need for six coils or rope, bows and mores arrows... Perhaps we should try to do the same, it sounds as thou there may be a steep decent ahead of us.[/talk]

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

The half-elven paladin listens to the debate, trying to puzzle out what they are discussing. Worrel has helped with some of the reading of the journal and tries to recall what he can of the religious groups and deities mentioned within the pages of the journal.

[talk]I would pursue Kendra. That may be my own experience speaking, but I am reluctant to leave that evil behind us. However, I will accede to your decisions since you are my rescuers.[/talk]

OUT OF CHARACTER
Knowledge: Religion - [dice]0[/dice]

OUT OF CHARACTER
1 - Bless

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

[talk]It would not be unwise to know where this trap door goes. But we do have a good deal of stuff to get rid of here. I say we go back to town, sell this pile, refresh supplies, check in with Penrod Penkawr, then head back here this afternoon.[/talk]
Last edited by tdsprouse on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”