The Second Face of Evil

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

The Second Face of Evil

Post by patransom »

After resting, dividing up the loot, and generally preparing themselves, the party opens the trapdoor in the floor of the "shack" in the Dark Cathedral (previously described way back here). The trapdoor leads to a shaft that drops down a short way (less than 10 feet) to a crudely excavated area (squares 2000 to 2001). The excavated area connects to a similarly crude natural tunnel that descends steeply and winds in a generally westerly direction (1900 to 1501 and onwards). The tunnel is, in some places, wide enough for two to stand comfortably abreast. In others, it narrows to one man wide (e.g., 1601). In addition to descending steeply, the tunnel floor is quite rough (the whole thing is difficult terrain). It's also very dark down there.
OUT OF CHARACTER
You'll need a marching order. Most of you will also need light. Please specify both those things as you head down into the tunnel. Feel free to put yourself in a specific square. If a square has a number it it, you can stand there without squeezing. If it doesn't have a number in it, you can't stand there.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Worrel: uninjured
Evan Prost: 1 hp damage
Marcus Tilsworth: 2 hp damage
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: uninjured
Lola: 1 hp damage
Texudus TreeBender: uninjured
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Re: [Active Thread] The Second Face of Evil

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius is willing to take point (you can put him in 1601), his mind blade in its rapier form. As his sunrod has expired, it is to be hoped that Lola and/or Prost will activate one.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost turns and looks up at the Amazon towering above him, tring to make a joke as he pulls the sunrod out of his pack... [talk]Maybe our light house would like to carry it.[/talk] Prost hustles down the trap door hole before Lola can say anything. Prost activates the sunrod on his way down and takes a position behind Cyrius @ 1702. Prost offers the sunrod to Cyrius, if he wishes to carry it, otherwise he will carry it. Prost comments... [talk]I can take point if you like. I have an other darkvision potion I can use.[/talk]
Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

[talk]I would lead, too, but I also need a light source. And I prefer to keep my shield with me, too, so it may be better if someone behind me carries the light. Or if one of you could cast a light spell upon my shield,[/talk] says Worrell. The half-elf moves between Cyrius and Prost, ready to step in and protect his companions.
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

tex has darkvision, so if anyone want him in front, thats fine. Otherwise, he'll take up the rear.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will fall in second with sword in hand, and will carry the light source, ignoring the attempted humor.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost, after giving up the sun rod to Lola pulls a potion of darkvision from his handy haversack and drinks it. [talk]Perhaps Tex and I should take the lead. I think we would be better suited for scouting ahead.[/talk] Prost offers to take point if Tex will back him up.
OUT OF CHARACTER
would move to 1500...

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]Does the party want to vote on:

(a) Prost and Tex scout ahead with darkvision and stealth
(b) Cyrius and Worell lead the way with light carried, if not by them, nearby (and everyone's right behind them in force)
(c) We have another plan, silly DM, just give us time to conceptualize it...[/ooc]
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

[ooc]option a is fine with me.[/ooc]
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

[ooc]OPtion A is fine wiht me ... though Worrell will be champing at the bit to jump in to protect his new companions.[/ooc]
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius of the Sudden Blade is both proud and humble to cast his entire vote for the next plan of action to guide this group on to inevitable victory, Option A!
[ooc]Sorry, watched my DVD of The Best Man last night, still somewhat in "60's political convention" mode. :mrgreen:[/ooc]
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Assuming Prost votes for his own suggestion, that's 4 votes and option a has a majority. I don't think Tex would veto, since he volunteered to be up front in the first place.

Prost drinks a potion, then Prost and Tex move cautiously ahead. Lola keeps her sunrod somewhat concealed around the curve of the tunnel to provide them cover.

Ahead, the tunnel seems to open into a cave. A forest of stalactites and stalagmites fills this cavern. The rocky formations make it difficult to see far ahead, as they choke most of this natural cave. The steady, rhythmic splash of water dripping into a puddle echoes through the chamber. Like the tunnel, the ground in the cave is rough and uneven.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Prost and Tex should each make a Stealth and a Perception roll.

Remember: The whole area is difficult terrain (2 squares to move 1 square; no 5 foot steps). If a square has a number it it, you can stand there without squeezing. If it doesn't have a number in it, you can't stand there.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Evan Prost: darkvision 179.9 min, 1 hp damage
Lola: holding a sunrod, 1 hp damage
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost looks at Tex before moving forward and comments... [whisper]Maybe we should of brought some string to tug on, to signal the others to come forward when it’s clear. Oh well, I'm sure we can make enough noise for them to come running...[/whisper]... THINKING: We should have arranged for some kind of signal to call the others forward. Well I hope that they will stay close enough to hear Tex and me if battle ensues to come running, but not so close as to give away our presence.
…and with that final thought Prost moves forward with his MW Light Crossbow, loaded and ready. Prost just under 3 feet tall, moves forward, as quietly as he can to 1300 using what cover he can find.
Stealth checkShow
[dice]0[/dice]
Perception checkShow
[dice]1[/dice]

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex moves up behind Prost, ready to shoot over his head, barely.

stealth
[dice=totalonly]0[/dice]

Perception
[dice=totalonly]1[/dice]
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

[ooc]oops.[/ooc]
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[ooc]I guess it takes real talent to find dry branchesd to step on and break with a loud snap when you're in a subterranean location. :8[/ooc]
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

[ooc]Yea! and that snap was so load his perception went south too...... :?[/ooc]

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrell strains to hear anything from ahead, nearly rushign ahead when he hears one of his companions make a loud noise. The paladin remains in place, however, until they actually call or shout for help.
Perception RollShow
[dice]0[/dice]
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Prost moves cautiously into the cave. There, he spies several creatures hiding behind stalactites. They do not appear to have seen him. However, before he can act, Tex comes noisily up behind him, alerting the creatures!

The creatures are ugly, muscular humanoids about as tall as humans. They have thick, gray, scaly skin and blank, eyeless eye sockets. They wear loincloths and wield shields and javelins. At each creature's belt is also a crude stone morningstar.
OUT OF CHARACTER
The stalactites provide cover. They do not, however, provide any additional impediment to movement. The whole area is difficult terrain (2 squares to move 1 square; no 5 foot steps). If a square has a number it it, you can stand there without squeezing. If it doesn't have a number in it, you can't stand there.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Surprise Round
Grimlocks
----> Quick Validation
Round 1 Begins
Grimlocks
----> Another Validation
Round 1 Continues
Round 2 Begins
Grimlocks
----> First Complete Validation for everybody
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius will advance to 1500 and wait; if an opportunity presents itself to hurl his mind blade at a grimlock (without endangering a comrade), he will take it.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Startled by Tex's noisy entrance, Prost, still trying to remain stealthy, moves quickly to 1301 taking what cover that’s available, hoping that he hasn't been spotted by all of the Grimlocks...
Stealth CheckShow
[dice]0[/dice]
Then from behind what cover he can find, Prost fires on Grimlock 3 @ 1001
Ranged attack with MW Light Crossbow: [dice]1[/dice]
Damage MW Light Crossbow: [dice]2[/dice]

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Once Cyrius has moved, Worrel will advance towards the chamber. As he moves, he draws his sword and prepares to engage in combat.

[ooc]Move to 1501; draw sword and ready shield while moving[/ooc]
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Surprise Round

Startled by Tex's noisy entrance, Prost, still trying to remain stealthy, moves quickly to the south, taking what cover that’s available, hoping that he hasn't been "spotted"* by all of the Grimlocks. Fortunately, the Grimlocks seem to remain oblivious to his presence. Then from behind several stalactites, Prost fires on Grimlock 3. He catches the creature completely unaware and, in spite of its position hidden in the stalactites, deals a severe wound [I added sneak attack damage for Prost, for a total of 11 hp damage]

The Grimlocks, now aware that they face at least two opponents, divide their response. Grimlocks 2 and 3 fling their javelins at Prost, but miss completely. Grimlock 1 moves west to block the apparent exit to this cave, then tries to throw his javelin over Prost's head and into Tex. Rather amazingly, he succeeds in hitting Tex [5 hp damage]

* One might wonder how these creatures can "spot" anything, given that they have no eyes...
OUT OF CHARACTER
The stalactites provide cover. They do not, however, provide any additional impediment to movement. The whole area is difficult terrain (2 squares to move 1 square; no 5 foot steps). If a square has a number it it, you can stand there without squeezing. If it doesn't have a number in it, you can't stand there.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Round 1 Begins
Texudus TreeBender: 5 hp damage
Grimlock 1
Grimlock 2
Grimlock 3: 11 hp damage

----> Another Validation
Round 1 Continues
Round 2 Begins
Texudus TreeBender: 5 hp damage
Grimlock 1
Grimlock 2
Grimlock 3: 11 hp damage

----> First Complete Validation for everybody
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]A couple actions already posted for Round 1 are repeated here (with some comments) for my convenience. Feel free to change them. Otherwise, waiting only on Tex and Prost.[/ooc]
CGM3 wrote:Cyrius will advance to 1500 and wait; if an opportunity presents itself to hurl his mind blade at a grimlock (without endangering a comrade), he will take it.
[ooc]Actually, 1500 looks like a full move for Cyrius. Remember that everything in here is difficult terrain. So he's not going to have a chance to throw his mind blade. Given that he's taking a full move, he could move farther...[/ooc]
JPetherick wrote:Once Cyrius has moved, Worrel will advance towards the chamber. As he moves, he draws his sword and prepares to engage in combat.

[ooc]Move to 1501; draw sword and ready shield while moving[/ooc]
[ooc]Not that it matters, but my assumption was that people were already traveling the caves with weapons and shields ready. I'll make sure to clarify that in the future.[/ooc]
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[ooc]From 1802 to 1701 to 1601 to 1500 is 15 ft (remember, Pathfinder treats all diagonals as 5-ft increments), so that's 30 ft of movement, one move action. :wink:[/ooc]

I stand corrected. In that case, Cyrius will move on to 1200. (Really thought that had changed in PF; guess I'm juggling too many RPG systems in my head. :wtf: )
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

[ooc]I did not read your link, but PF does not count each diagonal as 5', that's D&D 4th ed. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/c ... d-Distance[/ooc]

Tex stays put, and fires at G3.

atk w/ PBS
[dice=totalonly]0[/dice]

dmg w/PBS
[dice=totalonly]1[/dice]
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Hearing combat Lola will move forward as quickly as the people in front of her and the terrain allow. Once she gets into the cavern she will decide what to do next.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost reloads his crossbow and tries to move stealthy to 1302 and takes what cover he can find.
Stealth checkShow
[dice]0[/dice]

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 1 Begins

Cyrius advances into the cave.

Tex stays put and shoots G3, felling the creature [7 hp damage makes that Grimlock dead].

Prost reloads his crossbow and tries to move stealthy to the south, taking cover behind more stalactites.

Worrel advances into the chamber, sword and shield readied.

Grimlock 1 throws a javelin at Prost, with no success.

Grimlock 2 throws a javelin at the newly arrived Cyrius, also without any luck.
OUT OF CHARACTER

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Round 1 Continues
Lola: sunrod and short sword readied, 1 hp damage
Round 2 Begins
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: buckler and mind blade readied, uninjured
Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 5 hp damage
Evan Prost: loaded crossbow readied, darkvision 179.9 min, 1 hp damage
Worrel: shield and longsword readied, uninjured
Grimlock 1
Grimlock 2
Grimlock 3: DEAD

----> Validation
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]I have this action already for Lola. Everyone else is up, too.[/ooc]
kabkal wrote:Hearing combat Lola will move forward as quickly as the people in front of her and the terrain allow. Once she gets into the cavern she will decide what to do next.

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”