Aftermath of the battle at the gates

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

"Any guess on the total number of people coming? Can we take them in an ambush?"
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"I think we can just make it VERY close." states Aeless.
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

Brand listens to everyone, frowning at the reluctance of the towns people to fight for themselves.
"So what are we going to do about the Dudes on their way now, I still think the town is our best bet, the buildings will provide us the cover we need to fight them. Or do we head straight for their base in hopes of taking them while they are weaker."
Image R.I.P. Brand
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

"We have to make a stand here, to protect Nauthun. If we leave to go after the base, the town will be left unprotected, and those Dudes on their way will wipe it out."
OUT OF CHARACTER
what is the highest point in town that i could setup on?

Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

"They wont wipe the town out. They need the town and what it offers. They own it anyway. They control it. The town will be no worse off if we leave or stay. The only advantage I see in taking a stand is that if we defeat them here, the townsfolk may shown spine enough to help us later. Heading to to the base whil half of it is gone, may be a good tactic. They certainly would not expect it. My vote is to stay though. Let them get in close using our decoy. Hit them with that big kuhn hard, then retreat to the town to pre-planned positions. Hit them again while they try to pass the gates. Then roll back to a final position."
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin speaks up, "If it is possible for the dudes to recognize their own members, just as we can with the item Shareev uses, would it be possible for us to use that to give them false information? Perhaps we can create lights on that thing where no lights exist, making them think that more of their own are alive and at the gate. Perhaps Sam would be willing to help with that. It certainly would lend credence to Sarge's being alive."

Oldin practices Sarge's voice to see how well he can imitate it.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"We utilize the upper balcony as a ruse to hide, while some of us are on the rooftops. They'll come inside the town to enforce their rules and strength. This is our own opportunity to use their own aggression against them. You said the fellow who will be barking the orders is their leader then I suggest to make him a targeted priority for some of us, and the rest to ensure the townfolks safety." explains Aeless.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Your discussion of strategy continues and Shareev now estimates that the Dudes are an hour away.

To help you, here's the layout of the first few buildings inside the gates. The square buildings have relatively flat roofs, but the circular buildings are semi-spherical and slippery looking. It might be possibly to perch on the highest point of these, but it would be hard to get up there. The fence is 20' high, so shooting from a roof to outside the fence would offer soft cover to your target.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

"From the look of things, i'll probably still be better of a good distance away, on in the flats by a bush or something."[\b]
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

OUT OF CHARACTER
What kind of a roll is it to see if I can imitate Sarge's voice? Can others around me tell me how well I do?

Assuming the plan is that he will pretend to be Sarge, Oldin suggests, "Shareev, please talk to Sam to see if we can get that device to pick me up as one of the dudes. We don't have a lot of time."

Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

Brand starts scouting the town looking for possible ambush points.
Image R.I.P. Brand
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

"Oldin, the device shows their jifs, not the individuals. Although Sam may be able to send out more signals to confuse them, I really doubt he will have enough time to do so."

Looking around at the others, "I hope you know what you are doing. I think it is a good idea to remove the jif from the equation all together. Perhaps we send it on its merry way unmanned across the flats and hope some of them break off to check it. That will buy us some time and make their numbers smaller when they approach here."
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

"thats not a bad idea, but it leaves us without the Big Khun." Still, i do think it might draw them off. But whats going to keep the thing from crashing down a hill and stopping? Or a big rock or something?

Maybe that doesnt matter?"

"I'll probably set up about 135 away from the gate in the opposite direction they're coming from" I'll probably be able to start picking them off when they are still 500-600 feet away, but you guys should not go out to meet them, wait till that come to you."

OUT OF CHARACTER
pat - can you repost that map with the direction that the Dudes are coming from, and a compass we can use for reference?

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[Imitating a voice is a bluff check] Oldin practices sounding like Sarge. No one is the least bit impressed with his impression. He sounds like Oldin doing a funny accent.

As you continue your planning, the flashing lights keep coming closer. They are about a half hour away. [In other words, they will be here at the next validation. Please select your positions on the previous map. Per request, the overland map is below. 5 mile hexes.]
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

Oldin shrugs, "Well, me playing the part of Sarge will not work. His voice is far too high pitched for me to imitate. I mean, he sounds like a woman when he speaks! And I certainly can't do that lisp. Hearing the man, you would never think he was so muscular. I bet if he got into a fight, he would be a biter! But, I might have another idea. What if I disguise myself as a town member and yell at you all to stop fighting with the dudes and just leave? With that disguise, I might be able to get close enough to do some damage to the enemy jifs with Seker's holy flame!"

With that plan, Oldin sets up behind a building where he can peek around the corner. When the dudes arrive, he will decide what to do with his powder, either taking on the guise of a townsfolk or just going as himself.

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Shareev will take the Jif, attempt to disable the Big Khun so they cannot use it if they retrieve it, and send it southward from the town.

OOC: Not sure what checks you would want from this but....
Disable Device: +11 (+17 - 6 for Disaster Avoidance)
Drive: +9
Repair: +11
Craft Mechanical: +10
Knowledge - Adv Tech: +5

Shareev will take a position near the inside of the fence (around 1511). He will put his shotkhun by his side and use the 9 meel once he thinks they are in range. As they get closer, he will switch to his shotkhun.

"Oldin, I think your plan can work well. Perhaps rather then yelling at us, since we would prefer to be in hiding, you could be just walking the town."
Last edited by klakxor on Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Esias intends to post himself on the roof at square 1711, concealing himself as best he can (Hide +7).
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

"I'll get in the Guillie suite and hunker down abotu 130' opposite the way they're coming from. From there, i should still be able to see them with the scope when they are about 500 feet out, maybe better, and start trying to pick them off at that distance. Figure i'll go for the drivers first, if i can see 'em. otherwise i'll get the Khunners. what'ever you guys decide to do, you should not go out to meet them, wait till they get here. That sound alright?"

Thanis looks around at everyone, and if no one speaks about the above, he nods, and turns to start trotting out to his position, gets the suit on, and gets hidden, and ensures that he has a full load.

When he can see then in teh scope, he'll aim at the driver (if he can see him other wise the Khunner, ot someone with no cover) of the first Jif for one rnd, and fire. then, he'll aim again at same target for 1 rnd, and fire. repeat.

I figurre he'll be able to get off 2 shots. maybe 3.
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

Brand positions himself, at 3412, listening for the arrival of the Dudes. He'll wait for an opportunity to challenge the Dudes, hopefully luring them further into the town.
Image R.I.P. Brand
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

Jiam will set up on the roof at 1807. He will pull out an Ale and set it next to him, waiting on the round before he attacks before consuming. He will also take a barstool from the tavern to use as an improvised weapon when he decides to close in. he will pull out the Nine Meel Supmayshinkuhn nad prep it for firing as well. He plans on waiting until they have all entered or at least most of them. Then stepping just close enough to the edge to peek over. He will pick a target and start squeezing off shots. He will decide when to bail off the building later. he will also pull out a flask of oil and set it up for throwing.
whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

Ruadhnait takes up a position just inside the wall (1507), hoping to be able to get the drop on them once they pass. She has her spear at the ready.
John Grigsby
Game Operations Director, CoastCon 36
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"Oldin, that's a fine idea I'd rather have you coordinate with the others place it on me and I will mingle with the crowd and since it'll be an illusion and maybe I can be in the middle of it and cause more damage face to face with them." smiles Aeless.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

With Aeless volunteering for Sarge duty, he sprinkles the powder on Aeless while concentrating on the drawing he rendered, hoping to make Aeless look as much like Sarge as possible. After that, he takes his hiding place and awaits the dudes arrival, hoping they will be in a position that he can utilize his fiery burst (within 60 feet, he walks 30 feet and the range is 30 feet).

Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

Leenah will find a place where she can conceal herself with the hope that she can move behind the Dudes...
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"I suggest that we move certain folks to other places and keep the town damages to a minimum, and let me have some of the big kuhn's ammunition and load it to my arrows." suggests the half-elf.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Most of you begin finding positions in and around the outskirts of town near the gate. Within 15 minutes, Shareev has rendered the big kuhn inoperable by disabling the controls and jury-rigged the jif to move off on its own. It heads off to the south. [Aeless, strapping the big kuhn ammo to your arrows was not an option. Shareev failed to figure out how to reload the kuhn or even determine how much ammo was left, so he can't get at the ammo, where ever it is ...]

Oldin sprinkles some powder on Aeless, making him look like Sarge.

Shareev examines the tracking device. The approaching lights pause as the jif begins moving and, moments later, Shareev hears from Sam, "They're talking now. Trying to get a hold of Sarge and asking where he's going ..." Your guess might be they think he's on the jif that Shareev sent away

The flashing lights start moving again, two of them heading southeast toward the slowly moving jif, which has now come to a stop about two miles south of town, according to the device. One of the lights continues directly toward town, while the other two remain stopped [see overland map below].

Thanis, with his scope, and Shareev, with his goggles, can see what’s coming. It’s not what they expected. Instead of a jif loaded with Dudes, it’s a single Dude on a small, three-wheeled vehicle. Sitting on the vehicle, behind the Dude, is a second figure. It’s a Dabber, and its hands appear to be bound together. The vehicle is about 600 feet away, but approaching the gates rapidly. Thanis could take a shot at it, if he wants, but it’s probably too far away for the rest of you …

If Thanis decides not to shoot, then assume the vehicle with its two passengers arrives on the map at V below and you can all act on that. If Thanis shoots, something else will happen …
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

Jiam just maintains his position.
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

"Hold position and don't do anything till they get closer and we see what happens." states Aeless.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

OUT OF CHARACTER
what's a dabber?

Thanis draws a bead on the driver of the thing, and aims this round. he will take his shot when he settles (next rnd).

Next rnd -

Snipe - +11 (2d10 19-20/x3)
Hide - +18
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[quote="tdsprouse"]
OUT OF CHARACTER
what's a dabber?

This is a dabber (last post in the thread): http://theonlysheet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3646

Return to “Perearth: Archives”