Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Game Re-evaluation

Post by patransom »

As I posted in my other game:
Okay guys, I just had a massive meltdown of my main PC and am posting from my old, backup laptop. This issue will cause a game delay while I straighten this out and see what I can recover from backups, posts here, etc.

So, while I sit here watching the HD on the other PC reformat, it seems an opportune time to determine what those of you who are still playing want to do with this game.
Same deal applies here: who’s still playing? Who wants to see some changes to the game to make things more interesting for you, etc … I'd like to keep this on a one validation a week schedule.

I'm even more interested in your opinions about this game, though, because I think there are a lot more options for what I could do to the plot. Are you sick of the whole Gamma World thing, for example? Are you having trouble posting because your character feels completely out of water here? It also seems like lots of you are posting when there's a combat going on, but do nothing outside of combat …

Here are the character currently present:

Jiam (beltzclan - has posted every week)
Thanis (tdsprouse - has posted every week)
Brand (Gallaphile - has posted every week)
Shareev (klaxkor - has posted every week)
Oldin (shai-hulud - posting every couple of weeks?)
Aeless (valinor - posted the last couple weeks, but seemed absent for a while before that)
Esias (CGM3 - posted last week, but was silent for a while before that)
Leenah (Icefire - silent the last couple weeks, even though she's been sorta keeping up in my other game)
Ruadhnait (whtknt - last posted October 28)

If everyone could post his or her opinion, I would appreciate it. I will assume anyone who doesn’t post by December 15 is no longer interested.
Last edited by patransom on Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

I am still playing and love the idea. I am very happy with my character and am looking forward to what he can do now that he is experimenting with wizardry. My main problem has been the fact that I have such a hectic schedule this semester. Next semester will be easier and more difficult. Easier because peak season at work will be over, so I will not be working a full time job plus taking a full course load at school. Instead, however, I will be taking a larger course load next semester (16 credits instead of 13).

I currently don't have any suggestions for the game. I am interested to see if we are capable of defeating the dudes. I have plenty of ideas for how we can go about accomplishing that task, unfortunately, most of the ideas are beyond Oldin's knowledge. This dabber provides an interesting source of information. Perhaps we can get a layout of their base and Oldin could blow something up with his new firebursting ability, which is always fun, but Oldin does not know much about explosives and would not think to suggest that he could blow up their ammunition stocks (which would definitely serve as a blow to their combat capabilities). Perhaps with enough devastation to the base itself, the town would feel secure enough in fighting back. I mean, once they are out of ammunition, it is just a matter of getting them to fire off whatever they have left and then they are up $&!# creek without a paddle. But, that is well beyond Oldin's knowledge, so I am pretty much waiting to see what others come up with.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

I enjoy the game, though Thanis has no where else to go really (regarding Gamma World), but i do think that the arc of the story is still getting this group home. and that could be a bit of an epic arc. We dont really have any leads right now.

i like the setting, am looking forward to seeing what happens here.

I have no trouble posting since in my job i am on the internets all day anyway.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

I'm enjoying the game, and believe the goal for the original characters will be to find a way home (and possibly deal with the consequences of what was left behind).

Esias is something of a loner, so he tends to leave negotiations and decisions to the rest of the party.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
Icefire
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Icefire »

I have said a few things, but its been hard to figure out what to have her do. Also as I said in the other group, access has been an issue that has now been fixed.
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat
Galaphile
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by Galaphile »

I'm still playing and have no trouble keeping up.

I do have a little trouble with the whole Gamma world, as Brand is definitely out of his element. I can't really use some of my character's skill with Mounted Combat. So his options are limited to running up and swinging his sword in combat. Though, things like disarming them kind of work. I also haven't had much opportunity to use the Knight's Challenges as having all the Dudes shooting at me, isn't exactly a good idea (those weapons do too much damage). :)
Using the kuhn's doesn't work that well for him, as a negative Dexterity and a non-proficiency penalty make them nearly useless. Basically Brand is just trying to find ways to fight them, given his limitations.

Outside of combat, I'm hit or miss, I lost interest during the Sanctuary portion. The whole Oldin vs. Vulan argument was tedious.

Hard to believe we've been playing this for over 18 months.
Image R.I.P. Brand
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

I am still in, a little behind the 8 ball at the moment since Shareev really should be saying something (maybe I should go post now, hmmm)
beltzclan
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by beltzclan »

I am in, but I would like you to mix it up a bit. I don't think you would have even mentioned the idea if you did not have an idea in your head already about what to maybe do. I am in for exploring it. I would like to conclude where we are first, though. And I would like to move back out of the gamma type enviroment. Not a big deal regardless if you don't. We can still keep the existing character with their skill sets. I think it would be interesting to see those skill sets come back into play in a more traditional D&D world. But either way it is not that big a deal to me. As you have seen, I have posted once a week anyway. So, again, it is not that big a deal regardless.
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Hey folks, thanks for the replies so far. There will be a delay in validations, since I have to recreate all the tos stats for your foes :(

I'm still waiting for answers to this thread for two of you, but I am encouraged by the replies so far ... I'll also give some responses to the concerns voiced ...
whtknt
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by whtknt »

Still in and interested, just haven't had much to say or add up to this point.
John Grigsby
Game Operations Director, CoastCon 36
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

I'm posting just my school schedule is important at the moment.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Okay, with all precincts reporting, validations will resume Friday or Saturday this week! Thanks, everyone for the input ...

I'm heartened to see that no one has completely lost interest and that most people are okay with the Gamma World setting. It was my intention at the outset to have "getting home" be the overall plot arc, one which would take the characters through a *lot* of adventures in the setting. The adventures involved in that arc will hopefully become more interesting than just fighting gang after gang of "Dudes."

The reason you've had so many similar fights against them has to do with the approach you've taken to dealing with them. I actually expected you to go charging right to their base after locating it. The approach you're taking is fine, though, and probably strategically wiser ...

Once you're done with the Dudes miniplot, the next hooks should lead you to more varied and interesting things in the setting. So, for beltzclan, hopefully there will be enough variation to keep you engaged, even without a wholesale change. The other option was to have the characters rather quickly find a way to "get home," only to find that it takes them to another, equally bizzare (and as yet undecided) setting. Since it seems most people are fine with the current setting, I'm not going to do that.

For gallaphile, I hope upcoming challenges will allow Brand to make better use of his skills. Also, I have a very specific reward for you taking the advanced armor feat coming up :), so bear with me. As to the mounted combat issue, I hadn't thought of that, but if Brand makes a point of actively looking/asking after "warhorses," there might be a solution ...

For icefire, I recall that your background said Leenah is interested in puzzles. Wouldn't she consider all this strange "treasure" around her one big puzzle? Think about looking over Shareev's shoulder when he's dealing with "treasure."

This is not a squeaky wheel gets the oil situation ... For others who have been kind of silent, if you can express, in character, what you would really want to make your character bad a$$ in this setting, the appropriate things might just turn up ... In fact, I'm a little surprised that no one jumped on the couple of items of treasure that appeared in the fight before this one. The cannon was probably as dangerous as helpful, but there was another item. And it's probably still lying around the gates somewhere...

Also, I do give bonus XP for roleplaying. So keep that in mind.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Well, Shareev doesn't have a lot of use for the Kuhn that had the belt of bullets that made the cool whooshing noise, but I am sure someone here could use it, plus I have the neato communicator and tracking device
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Thanis is too far away to know about it.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

In about 1 week, I will be out of country and in Vancouver, BC for 10 days, in case we're wondering what has happened to me. Will, return by the 10th of next year.

Return to “Perearth: Archives”