[Poll] Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Archives for Brave New Perearth

Moderator: patransom

What setting do you want inflicted on you?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:40 pm

A post-apocalyptic world using the d20 Modern ruleset (mainly using the d20 Future section of the MSRD, not a using hybrid Modern-D&D mess of rules like I am now), zero magic
17%
A modern day world using the d20 Modern ruleset, significant magic (using the d20 Urban Arcana section of the MSRD)
33%
An actual, honest-to-goodness D&D world, lots of magic (just D&D, no d20 Modern at all)
33%
I don't care, I'm quitting anyway
17%

Total votes: 6

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

[Poll] Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by patransom »

As I've mentioned in PM's to some of you, this fight has gone much worse for the party than I expected. Although I now think a couple of you will survive, I think my main plot (which you never even got to see a hint of, unfortunately) is now shot to pieces (by the Dudes' automatic weapons, apparently). Too many of the "temporal anomaly" PCs are dead.

So, when the current fight ends (pretty soon, I think), I'm going to hit the reset button on this game, by dropping another "setting shift" on the party. Thus, I'd like your opinions on what setting you'd prefer to be stuck in...

However the votes come out, this reset will mean a true restart for the characters, rather than just dumping them in a strange world. You can choose to "rebuild" your current character (living or dead) to fit the setting or start a new character from scratch. More details on that later...
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Re: [Poll] Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by klakxor »

I am ok with any of the above options, but I think I would like to see option 2 played out.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

I'm ok with any of the 3. I might barely lean toward d20 Furture though, never done one of those. (except for shadowrun)
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

To paraphrase 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper in They Live, "I came here to chew gum and play D&D, and I'm all out of gum!"
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

CGM3 wrote:To paraphrase 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper in They Live, "I came here to chew gum and play D&D, and I'm all out of gum!"
Rowdy Roddy played D&D :shock:
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

I voted option 3, but only because working on the modern stuff, I am not sure how long until it is available in TOS+. If I can get it done before you start up the game again, then my vote would change to option 1 or 2 (probably 2 since I like magic :D).
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

shai-hulud wrote:I voted option 3, but only because working on the modern stuff, I am not sure how long until it is available in TOS+. If I can get it done before you start up the game again, then my vote would change to option 1 or 2 (probably 2 since I like magic :D).
Actually, my thinking was that doing 1 or 2 (if that's the decision) would NOT be dependent on you finishing the modern stuff. I feel like TOS+ is useable as is for modern; it just would require a little customization work for each character (talents typed into the class description manually and effects added manually, rather than picked from a list; weapons the character happens to use typed in, etc.). Not as easy as if it were all finished and officially in TOS+, but still do-able. The largest workload would be on the DM, because I'd be dealing with a bunch of NPCs, not just one character to customize...

That comment is not meant to push you one direction or another, though. I'm just as happy with any of the choices.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud »

In that case, I vote for whatever the majority rules (Option 5?) with option 3 still being my top pick, but I'd be nearly as happy with the other two.

How would the modern game work? The DM says, Well, your characters all died. We'll start anew next week. The players all go home, but something is different... Blam! All of the players are in the post-apocalyptic setting that their characters were just in. Now, it is a D20 Modern game with us playing characters representing us, who used to play our other characters? Lol, that might be fun! I wouldn't mind playing myself as a D20 Modern character. I wonder if there is a site that tells you what D20 modern character you are and what your stats would be...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter
Image Gregory Milliken: Human Rogue
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

shai-hulud wrote:How would the modern game work? The DM says, Well, your characters all died. We'll start anew next week. The players all go home, but something is different... Blam! All of the players are in the post-apocalyptic setting that their characters were just in. Now, it is a D20 Modern game with us playing characters representing us, who used to play our other characters? Lol, that might be fun! I wouldn't mind playing myself as a D20 Modern character. I wonder if there is a site that tells you what D20 modern character you are and what your stats would be...
Actually, I believe that was a suggested concept for one of the early superhero games (Villains & Vigilantes?): play as yourself, but all of a sudden you have superpowers...

But, no, that wasn't my plan for either modern game.
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

Go with #2. So I agree with Klaxxor on this.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Hmmm, seems like we're tied, pending a vote from galaphile (which we might not get, since he said his group was switching to 4e, so he might be dropping out of TOS altogether). So, let me ask a couple of questions.

CGM3, if the vote were to come out as d20 modern, would you play in the modern setting or would you drop out?

tdsprouse, since your first choice is behind in the voting, which of the other two would be your second choice?
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

patransom wrote:CGM3, if the vote were to come out as d20 modern, would you play in the modern setting or would you drop out?
I'm willing to give it a shot. (Hmm, a Smart Hero 3 can qualify for an Occultist or a Mage...)
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
valinor
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by valinor »

I like idea #2 coz it sounds like Shadowrun in d20 Modern
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

sorry, lost my connection this weekend.

I could try #2.

We could run with it for a while, shake out teh bugs?
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

So, it's settled. We'll go with d20 modern in a setting that's like our real world present, but with magic...

I plan on essentially following the plot from Paizo's Age of Worms (with major changes to squeeze it into a modern setting), unless someone has a major problem with that.

If it sucks, we can always just hit the reset button again in a few months...

A new thread is up with the Deus Ex Machina (an actual deity intervening, in fact) that explains away the game shift. I'll be posting some ooc info about the mechanics of the restart in a while, maybe tomorrow...

Return to “Perearth: Archives”