Encounter at Shadow Castle Keep Parts 1 and 2

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Re: [Active Thread] Encounter at Shadow Castle Keep Part 1

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius continues to keep watch towards the other passageways, in case more foes appear, attracted by the sounds of combat.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Waiting on Lola and Prost

Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost loads his slingstaff...yellingHEY! We got more company coming If L3 falls Prost will move and tumble thru to 2209 past L4. If not he will hold fire for the first head of a foe that comes up the stairs to the SW.
Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

patransom wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:10 am
OUT OF CHARACTER

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry, I was waiting to see what happened with Tex's attack since his was in round 2.

Lola will attack 3 again if still standing. If not standing she will 5' step up and attack 4.

Image to hit
Image damage
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

kabkal wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:11 am
patransom wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:10 am
OUT OF CHARACTER

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry, I was waiting to see what happened with Tex's attack since his was in round 2.

Lola will attack 3 again if still standing. If not standing she will 5' step up and attack 4.

Image to hit
Image damage
I think you made mistake with your damage roll....don't think there is a weapon that uses a d20....if there is tell me how to get one. :thumb1:

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 2 Continues

Tex fires two more arrows. He watches as the first shot lands precisely where he wanted; as expected, it kills L3 [9 hp damage]. His second shot misses L4, who is just barely visible to Tex, behind the outcropping of the corridor [missed due to cover].

Round 3 Begins

Cyrius continues to keep watch towards the other passageways, in case more foes appear, attracted by the sounds of combat.

Worrel continues to keep watch at the rear of the party.

Prost loads his slingstaff...yelling HEY! We got more company coming He tumbles past L4 into the chamber. From his new position, he can see nearly all of the room, which is obviously some kind of lizardfolk dormitory.

Lola steps up and attacks L4. With a well-practiced spring, she thrusts her strike past the enemy's protections [2 hp damage].

Fluffy continues to snarl, but finds access to L4 is still blocked.

Unable to see a target for his wand and warned that more trouble might be on the way, Marcus casts mage armor on himself.

L4 chooses Prost as its target, but misses with both morningstar and teeth.

Prost's warning proves timely as a large group of lizardfolk (L5 through L11) comes rushing up the stairs from the west. The last of them (L11) is carrying a torch.

On the eastern front, Cyrius and Worrel see two creatures (H1, H2) come flying out of the darkness. Each of them appears to be a feral human woman with a wild look on her face. Except they are actually (not just literally) flying, with tattered wings and taloned feet! They land just at the edge of the shadows and begin to sing. Their song is strangely beautiful, belying their crazed appearance, and quite captivating...

OUT OF CHARACTER
Cyrius, Worrel, and Marcus each need TWO DC16 Will saves. Failing either save means they must move toward the source of the song using the most direct means available and can do nothing else. Everyone else can hear the singing, too, but the unusual acoustics and other distracting noises in this place mean the captivating magic does not affect them... yet

OUT OF CHARACTER
I'm not distinguishing between bright light and dim light on the map right now. The shaded area is actually completely dark, requiring darkvision to see. The yellow blobs are meant to suggest that Prost noted there might be more light over there.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Round 3 Continues
1. Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: mindblade longsword and sunrod readied, 17 bolts left, needs TWO DC16 Will saves
2. Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 38 arrows left, needs TWO DC16 Will saves
3. Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 13 arrows left
Round 4 Begins
4. Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 7 +1 bullets left, darkvision 178.9 minutes left
5. Lola: sword readied, 49 bolts left
6. Fluffly
7. Marcus Tilsworth: wand of magic missile ready, 42 bolts left, mage armor 5 hours left, need TWO DC16 Will saves
8. Lizardfolk: L1 through L3 dead, L4 2 hp damage
9. Feral Winged Women: H1 and H2 uninjured
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Marcus finds the beautiful singing irresistible and will begin making his way towards the second of the creatures...

ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Slowing down for better aim, Tex takes a single shot a L4.

He then draws his Battle Axe while moving to 2411.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius' first Will save vs the singers: 1d20+6
Succumbing to the siren melody, the poor sod moves to 3315.
Last edited by CGM3 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost deftly slides to his left (five foot step to 2308), switching his slingstaff to his left hand as he moves, and drawing his MW Short Sword (quick draw), he attacks L4.

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel succumbs to the song of the winged creatures and calmly walks towards them. He stops in front of the first (square 3315).

Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

If L4 is still standing, Lola will attack.

Image to hit
Image damage

If L4 is not alive, if possible, Lola will move to nearest enemy and attack with previous rolls.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 3 Continues

Succumbing to the siren melody, Cyrius (the poor sod) moves to right up next to the first of the feral winged women.

Worrel succumbs to the song of the winged creatures and calmly walks towards them, moving next to Cyrius so as to be as close as possible to the first of them.

Slowing down for better aim, Tex takes a single shot a L4. Visualizing a bulls-eye upon his target, he lets loose a shot that hits dead center [9 hp damage]

Round 4 Begins

Prost deftly slides to his left, switching his slingstaff to his left hand as he moves, and drawing his MW Short Sword, he attacks L4. A series of bewildering movements confounds the enemy so much that they do not even offer a defense against the attack that finishes them [10 hp damage, L4 dead].

In a reversal of their previous positioning difficulties, Lola finds herself bottlenecked by Fluffy... [if she wants to use this action for something else, such as casting a spell or readying a ranged weapon, let me know...]

Fluffy finally has something to bite, so he snaps at L5, but misses.

Marcus finds the beautiful singing irresistible and begins making his way towards it. He passes by Cyrius and H1 to get close to H2.

L5 swings at Fluffy, misses, but then connects with a bite that withdraws from the dog with an awful tearing sound [4 hp damage].

L9 swings its morningstar around, pummeling Fluffy with wild abandon [3 hp damage], then misses with a bite.

The remaining lizardfolk cannot reach anyone to attack and don't seem willing to fling javelins into the melee ahead of them.

H1 continues singing, planning to maintain the attention of the two armored combatants (Worrel and Cyrius) while her sister picks off the squishy looking fellow (Marcus).

H2 stops singing and attacks Marcus. She misses, however.

OUT OF CHARACTER
I'm not distinguishing between bright light and dim light on the map right now. The shaded area is actually completely dark, requiring darkvision to see. The yellow blobs are meant to suggest that Prost noted there might be more light over there.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Cyrius and Worrel are captivated: Captivated creatures can take no actions other than to defend themselves. A victim within 5 feet of the creature simply stands and offers no resistance to the creature's attacks.

Everyone else can hear the singing, too, but the unusual acoustics and other distracting noises in this place mean the captivating magic does not affect them... yet

Round 4 Continues
1. Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: mindblade longsword and sunrod readied, 17 bolts left, captivated by H1 (might need a save vs H2 later)
2. Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 38 arrows left, captivated by H1 (but not H2)
3. Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 12 arrows left
Round 5 Begins
4. Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 7 +1 bullets left, darkvision 178.8 minutes left
6. Fluffly: 7 hp damage
7. Marcus Tilsworth: wand of magic missile ready, 42 bolts left, mage armor 5 hours left, captivated by H2 for one round (but not H1)
8. Lizardfolk: L1 through L4 dead
9. Feral Winged Women: H1 singing, H2 not singing, both uninjured
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Have H1 or H2 moved from their position on the map a few posts ago?
(does Tex see them?)

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

ElectroZman wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:43 pm Have H1 or H2 moved from their position on the map a few posts ago?
(does Tex see them?)
OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry, map was missing from post above. It's there now.

Tex does not have line of sight to H1 or H2, but he knows they are there from the singing. Line of sight will require 2613, 2614, or closer.

However, anyone moving that close will also have to make the two DC16 will saves.

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

OUT OF CHARACTER
I had interpreted the effect of the song as preventing any actions, except defending Worrel.

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Not sure if I can do all this, but Lola with step diagonally to 2409, hoping to not cause harm to Fluffy, pull Fluffy back to 2309, and if Fluffy looks like it needs healing will cast a CLW on him (or her). (don't have my sheet on this computer so I am not sure of the CLW roll).
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

JPetherick wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:57 pm I had interpreted the effect of the song as preventing any actions, except defending Worrel.
OUT OF CHARACTER
This is how I'm interpreting it, too. Worrel and Cyrius maintain their full armor class, but can't take any actions.

kabkal wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:30 am Not sure if I can do all this, but Lola with step diagonally to 2409, hoping to not cause harm to Fluffy, pull Fluffy back to 2309, and if Fluffy looks like it needs healing will cast a CLW on him (or her). (don't have my sheet on this computer so I am not sure of the CLW roll).
OUT OF CHARACTER
Lola can do all this because she has actions left over from last round. She needs a DC12 Charisma check to get Fluffy to come with her, though.

ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex slings his longbow and readies his axe. The first one coming around the corner will taste dwarven steel.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Threading the needle, Prost snaps of a shot at L5.. Reloads and take a step to his right(2208).

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola moves to 2409.

She pulls on Fluffy.

But has no luck doing so. She keeps trying to get Fluffy to come back to her and readies to either heal Fluffy if need be, or to attack if Fluffy finally steps back.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 4 Continues

Cyrius and Worrel stand where they are, captivated and unable to do anything.

Tex slings his longbow and readies his axe.

Round 5 Begins

Threading the needle, Prost snaps off a shot at L5. Unfortunately, the combination of shooting into melee plus the cover provided by Lola and Fluffy means the shot is a miss. Prost reloads and takes a step to his right.

Lola moves back around the corner, pulling on Fluffy and trying to command him to follow. The dog is too hurt and angry to obey, however.

Fluffy continues biting at L5, but just barely misses.

Although the creature he was interested in is no longer singing, Marcus remains captivated for one more round.

L5 smashes its morningstar at Fluffy, ending with a bone-jarring thud, leaving the dog laid out in a contorted heap. [8 hp damage leaves Fluffy unconscious and bleeding out]. L5 steps forward over Fluffy's fallen form and, seeing Tex around the corner, bites at the dwarf. The bite misses.

L9 moves past L5 in pursuit of Prost and Lola. This allows Tex an attack of opportunity. The swift edge of his axe catches the lizard, tearing a ragged wound [5 hp damage]. Entering the lizardfolk dormitory chamber, L9 swings at Lola and misses.

The remaining lizardfolk move recklessly into melee range. L6 swings at and misses Tex.

Lola gets off an attack of opportunity at L7 that misses. L7 responds with a demolishing blow that careens into Lola [7 hp damage]

L8 misses Prost.

L10 misses Lola.

L11 moves to the intersection and stands there, holding its torch for its allies to see. It tries to reach around the corner to swing its morningstar at Tex, but misses due to the cover provided.

L12 and L13 appear on the scene and flood into the room with Cyrius and Lola, but have moved too far to attack.

H1 continues to sing, keeping the attention of Cyrius and Worrel

H2 attacks Marcus. In a tremendously unfortunate sequence, all four attacks slams into him with heavy thwacks [19 hp damage total]

One more lizardman (Sh) emerges from the corridor to the west. He is a strong-looking specimen with a mottled pattern of black scales and
forward-sweeping horns and brandishes a shiny trident. He shouts as he arrives, in accented but understandable Ghinoran, Attention invaders! I am Shukak, the Lizard King. You will surrender now! Or die horribly!

OUT OF CHARACTER

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Cyrius and Worrel are captivated: Captivated creatures can take no actions other than to defend themselves. A victim within 5 feet of the creature simply stands and offers no resistance to the creature's attacks.

Everyone else can hear the singing, too, but the unusual acoustics and other distracting noises in this place mean the captivating magic does not affect them... yet

Round 5 Continues
1. Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: mindblade longsword and sunrod readied, 17 bolts left, captivated by H1 (might need a save vs H2 later)
2. Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 38 arrows left, captivated by H1 (but not H2)
3. Texudus TreeBender: battleaxe readied, 12 arrows left
Round 6 Begins
4. Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 6 +1 bullets left, darkvision 178.7 minutes left
6. Fluffly: 15 hp damage, unconscious and bleeding out
7. Marcus Tilsworth: wand of magic missile ready, 42 bolts left, mage armor 5 hours left, 19 hp damage, no longer captivated by H2 (and immune to H1's song)
8. Lizardfolk: L1 through L4 dead, L9 5 hp damage
9. Feral Winged Women: H1 singing, H2 not singing, both uninjured
10. Shukak the Lizard King (Sh): uninjured
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Waiting on everyone...

ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

THINKING: Seeing little choices left to him, Tex will take a gamble. If he can break the hold the creatures have over his friends, they may have a chance.

Tex moves to 2713, or wherever there is a clear shot at H1 and he is within 30' of it. He readies his bow as part of his move. He knows he's allowing an attack of opportunity. He uses Deadly Aim for more damage.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Do the will saves come first? I'll roll everything...

Two DC 16 will saves...
(+4 Will, +2 Hardy)
Point blank arrow using deadly aim
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost ...THINKING: Be quick, be nimble and he tumbles thru 2307 to 2407 and attack L10. (flanking with Lola)
OUT OF CHARACTER
will provide rolls this evening

ImageImageImageImage
Also, Bleeding Attack +3 bleed dmg each round

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel listens to the beautiful song of one harpy.
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will swing at L9

Image to hit (flank not included if it should be)

Image damage
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 5 Continues

Cyrius and Worrel remain captivated.

Seeing little choice left to him, Tex takes a gamble. If he can break the hold the creatures have over his friends, they may have a chance. Tex moves to where there is a clear shot at H1 and he is within 30' of it. Several lizardfolk swipe at him as he goes. One of them lands an expert blow with a disquieting thunk [5 hp damage].

Tex drops his axe and readies his bow as he moves. With Deadly Aim, he sends an arcing shot through a small hole in the first creature's protections [14 hp damage].

Round 6 Begins

Prost thinks, "Be quick, be nimble" and tumbles away from the lizardmen surrounding him, into flanking with Lola. This masterfully confounding maneuver leaves his enemy's defenses in shambles [14 hp damage kills L10
OUT OF CHARACTER
That really high tumble result was fortunate, since you were tumbling away from 5 enemies at once!

Lola swings at L9 and her foe startled by her unexpected lunge [3 hp damage]

Fluffy bleeds.

Marcus tires to emulate Prost's tumbling skill and move away from H1 and H2. He's not quite agile enough, so one of the creatures lands a lumbering blow with its morningstar that sends Marcus reeling [9 hp damage]. Fortunately, he reels into the strategic position he was hoping for, where he can catch both feral women with a spell (burning hands, changed to electricity because of his sorcerer bloodline). He unleashes a bolt of electricity that flies toward H1, then splits into several forks of lightning, each one seeking flesh in the area, thereby finding H2 as well [both fail their reflex saves and take 12 hp damage].

The lizardfolk seem unwilling to move closer to the singing creatures and most of them also begin to move out of the way, deferring at the approach of the king. However, a few of them make attacks before the king advances.

With a twisting maneuver, L7 gets both its morningstar and a bite around Lola's defenses [11 hp damage total]

L8 follows Prost into the corner, but misses.

L9 misses with its morningstar as it steps aside for the approach of the king.

H1 continues to sing. This keeps Cyrius and Worrel captivated, but Tex manages to shake off the effect. Not wanting to stay in lightning bolt formation, she flies past Marcus deeper into the room.

H2 also flies into the room, finding a position where she can reach Marcus and still leave room for Cyrius and Worrel to follow her sister. She misses Marcus with her morningstar.

Shukak the Lizard King continues to yell, You had your chance, invaders! Now you will die! As he marches into the dormitory, Lola misses him with her sword. In return, he stabs her with his trident, a thrust that begins high overhead, dives down past her defense, and hits hard [8 hp damage]

OUT OF CHARACTER

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Tex, Cyrius, Worrel, and Marcus are captivated: Captivated creatures can take no actions other than to defend themselves. A victim within 5 feet of the creature simply stands and offers no resistance to the creature's attacks.

Round 6 Continues
3. Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, battleaxe dropped at 2713, 11 arrows left, 5 hp damage[/b], immune to H1's song (will fail if H2 starts singing again, but she doesn't know that)
Round 7 Begins
4. Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 6 +1 bullets left, darkvision 178.6 minutes left
5. Lola: sword readied, 49 bolts left, 26 hp damage
6. Fluffly: 16 hp damage, unconscious and bleeding out
7. Marcus Tilsworth: wand of magic missile ready, 42 bolts left, mage armor 5 hours left, 28 hp damage, immune to H1's song
8. Lizardfolk: L1 through L4 and L10 dead, L9 8 hp damage
9. Feral Winged Woman H1: 26 hp damage, singing, H2 uninjured
10. Feral Winged Woman H2: 12 hp damage, not singing
11. Shukak the Lizard King (Sh): uninjured
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
I fear this is going to end badly, since only Prost and Lola have free will. They are facing difficult odds if they stand and fight. If they try to escape, they will be subject to the harpy song before reach the exit. We'll play it out, but the DM is, sadly, not optimistic...

admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Time to use Hero Points? :D

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”