Encounter at Shadow Castle Keep Parts 1 and 2

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Re: [Active Thread] Encounter at Shadow Castle Keep Part 1

Post by JPetherick »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry, been out of town.

Worrel intends to go down fighting, so he continues to fight. "Feel Mitra's wrath!," he shouts at Shukak.

He summons MItra's healing magic for himself before swinging at Shukak, focusing upon killing the Lizard King.

Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 16 Continues

Cyrius is unconscious.

Worrel intends to go down fighting, so he continues to fight. "Feel Mitra's wrath!," he shouts at Shukak. He summons MItra's healing magic for himself [healed 11 hp]. Then he swings at Shukak, focusing upon killing the Lizard King. With a butchers chop, he cleaves his way to victory [16 hp damage kills Shukak]! The Lizard King's taunts are silenced forever and his magic trident clatters to the floor.
OUT OF CHARACTER
I did not count your smite evil here, because it applied to Kotobas and you didn't need to spend another use of it to finish off Shukak

With Shukak downed, Tex steps into the corridor and aims at L21. L21's attack of opportunity misses, but so do both of Tex's arrows. Tex curses.

Round 17 Begins

Lola is unconscious.

Fluffy is unconscious.

Marcus is dead.

L20 fearfully steps away from Worrel and, finding Tex blocking his escape route, attacks the dwarf. He misses.

L21, even more fearful, tries to run right over Tex as a means of escape, but is unable to get past [overrun maneuver failed].

LM continues angrily attacking Worrel, with no success.

Prost watches as the lizards in the other chamber continue their dialog. He cannot interpret their strange body language well enough to guess what they might be talking about.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Looks like you're going to survive! We will remain in rounds until you mop up the last three lizardfolk.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Round 17 Continues
1. Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: sunrod dropped, 17 bolts left, 68 hp damage, unconscious but stable
2. Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 38 arrows left, 1 lay on hands left, 1 smite evil left 49 hp damage
3. Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, battleaxe dropped at 2713, 4 arrows left, Abundant Ammunition 1.4 minutes left, 39 hp damage
Round 18 Begins
4. Evan Prost: short sword and loaded slingstaff readied, 6 +1 bullets left, darkvision 177.6 minutes left, gaseous form 9.2 minutes left, 14 hp damage
5. Lola: short sword dropped, 49 bolts left, 39 hp damage + 6 hp nonlethal, unconscious
6. Fluffy: 16 hp damage, unconscious but stable
7. Marcus Tilsworth: wand of magic missile dropped, 42 bolts left, 48 hp damage, DEAD
8. Shukak the Lizard King (Sh): DEAD
9. Lizardfolk: L1 through L10 and L14 through L19 dead, L20, L21, and LM uninjured
10. A big, armored lizardman named Kotobas (Ko): 83 hp damage, DEAD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

OUT OF CHARACTER
patransom wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:26 am Looks like you're going to survive! We will remain in rounds until you mop up the last three lizardfolk.
EPIC stuff!!! For a moment, it felt like a TPK...!

ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex steps back to 2914 and fires twice at L21.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost will drift through the walls in the north to 2032, staying out of sight to see down the passage to the east in this chamber.
Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel summons Mitra's healing magic again before he steps forward to attack the remaining lizardmen. He swings at the two smaller lizardmen, continuing on to attack the latest one to arrive.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Swift - Lay on Hands (self)
Free - 5 ft step to 3215
Standard - Cleave, starting at L20 to L21 to LM

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 17 Continues

Cyrius is unconscious.

Worrel summons Mitra's healing magic again [healed 9 hp]. Then he steps forward to attack the remaining lizardmen. The pure savagery of his initial stoke ends with L20 laying in pieces and he follows through to severely damage L21 and LM [13, 10, and 10 hp damage, respectively; L20 is dead]

Tex steps back and fires two arrows. The first arrow plunges catastrophically into the center of L21's vitals, ending their life [4 damage is enough to kill L21]. The second arrow misses LM.

Round 18 Begins

Lola is unconscious.

Fluffy is unconscious.

Marcus is dead.

Enraged, LM is unwilling to give up, but she can't get past Worrel's defenses.

Prost drifts through the walls in the north, staying out of sight. His slow speed means it will take a little longer to get far enough to see down the passage to the east in this chamber.

OUT OF CHARACTER
We will remain in rounds until you mop up one last lizardfolk.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Round 18 Continues
1. Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: sunrod dropped, 17 bolts left, 68 hp damage, unconscious but stable
2. Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 38 arrows left, 0 lay on hands left, 1 smite evil left, 40 hp damage
3. Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, battleaxe dropped at 2713, 4 arrows left, Abundant Ammunition 1.3 minutes left, 39 hp damage
Round 19 Begins
4. Evan Prost: short sword and loaded slingstaff readied, 6 +1 bullets left, darkvision 177.5 minutes left, gaseous form 9.1 minutes left, 14 hp damage
5. Lola: short sword dropped, 49 bolts left, 39 hp damage + 6 hp nonlethal, unconscious
7. Marcus Tilsworth: wand of magic missile dropped, 42 bolts left, 48 hp damage, DEAD
8. Shukak the Lizard King (Sh): DEAD
9. Lizardfolk: L1 through L10 and L14 through L21 dead, LM 10 hp damage
10. A big, armored lizardman named Kotobas (Ko): 83 hp damage, DEAD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel focuses on the last remaining lizardman, trying to dispatch it as quickly as possible.
OUT OF CHARACTER
rolz.org is down this morning ... I will not be able to post until Sunday evening.

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel attacks the last remaining lizardmen.

ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex fires twice at LM (If need be, he'll take a step to get a clearer shot.)

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 18 Continues

Worrel attacks the last remaining lizardwoman. A vicious riposte takes a limb off entirely and she expires wondering where it went [14 hp damage kills LM]

Combat ends, so Tex has nothing left to shoot at

Cyrius is unconscious.

Lola is unconscious.

Fluffy is unconscious.

Marcus is dead.

Moving through the walls, Prost drifts to a point where he can see down the passage to the east in this chamber. The corridor is short and leads to another chamber with sleeping pallets on the floor, very similar to the one in the north where this battle begin (up by the unconscious Fluffy). There are no lizardmen here, however.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
2. Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 38 arrows left, 0 lay on hands left, 1 smite evil left, 40 hp damage
3. Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, battleaxe dropped at 2713, 4 arrows left, Abundant Ammunition 1.2 minutes left, 39 hp damage
4. Evan Prost: short sword and loaded slingstaff readied, 6 +1 bullets left, darkvision 177.4 minutes left, gaseous form 9.0 minutes left, 14 hp damage
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

"I have no healing magics," says Worrell. "Are you ready to go after our companions? You lead - I will not be able to sneak up on anyone."
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

JPetherick wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:23 pm "I have no healing magics," says Worrell. "Are you ready to go after our companions? You lead - I will not be able to sneak up on anyone."
OUT OF CHARACTER
I show Worrel in possession of a wand of cure light wounds with 50 charges...

smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost will continue to scout, working his way back to the north and west...back the direction he came and exploring areas to the east. Stay out of sight off course.
OUT OF CHARACTER
moving thru walls to shorten travel

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

"Excuse me! I am embarrassed by what happened with the bird woman and forgot. How much healing can we spend before seeking our companions," asks Worrel as he roots in his pack for the wand.
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

OUT OF CHARACTER
A number of intended actions here. Please let me know if I'm doing too much at once.

Tex goes to his fallen companions, can anything be done for Marcus?

Well, if that wand contains plenty of charges, then we should heal as much as we can while saving some for the others.

I'm nearly out of arrows Worrel, could I use some of yours?

After checking on Marcus, Tex will examine the bodies of Shukak, the other large warrior, and the rest of the lizardfolk for any items of use or value.

Then, after healing is done, he will start scouting back toward the NW, looking for arrows and picking up his axe along the way.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Tex checks on his fallen companions. Marcus is beyond help and although he's got some interesting magic items, none of them are immediately useful (i.e., no healing). Cyrius is just unconscious and could be awakened with a bit of healing. Fluffy, too.

Next, Tex examines the fallen lizardfolk, collecting his axe and looking for surviving arrows along the way. He manages to recover 4 arrows.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Pretty good, since hits are destroyed and Tex only had 5 misses before casting abundant ammunition.

On Shukak, he also finds the following:
  • a trident (which you observed to be a returning trident)
  • an amulet
  • bracers
  • a pouch with some coins (included below)
On Kotobas, he finds:
  • 2 potions
  • unusual hide armor that appears to be made of spider carapace
  • 5 javelins (quite ordinary, but I'm including them in case you're really concerned about ammo)
  • an amulet
  • a pouch with some coins (included below)
The equipment of the remaining lizards is of poor quality, but each of them has a few coins and about half of them (9) are carrying eggs
carved out of exotic hardwood, which might have some value. In total, the coins amount to 471 gp, 650 sp, 1,271 cp.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Let me know what, if any, of this you want to take

Meanwhile, Prost continues to scout, working his way back the direction he came, but exploring a bit to the east. He moves through the walls to stay out of sight. On his way back, he spots another empty sleeping chamber, but nothing else of interest. Returning to the scene of the battle, he is surprised to find all the lizardfolk dead and a couple of his allies still standing!

During this time, Worrel employs his healing wand...
OUT OF CHARACTER
All of the above took 2.5 minutes, so you could spend up to 25 charges. Or more if you want to spend more time. Or less. Let me know how you wish to distribute the "whacks of the happy stick." I can roll if that's easier than using and posting Rolz. Up to you.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
3. Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 8 arrows left 39 hp damage
4. Evan Prost: short sword and loaded slingstaff readied, 6 +1 bullets left, darkvision 174.9 minutes left, gaseous form 6.5 minutes left, 14 hp damage
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

OUT OF CHARACTER
It felt like I missed a lot more than that! What a fight! Just real sorry we lost Marcus.

Assuming Tex noticed both Lola and Prost were missing...

Heal yourself up first Worrel. I can't find Lola or Prost and we need to track them down. Also, it looks like Fluffy is still breathing. I'll take what's left.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost moves over to Tex, and tries to get his attention.

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel begins to use the wand upon himself. After expending several charges, he is completely healed.
OUT OF CHARACTER
6 charges used, 40 hps healed

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel uses the wand on Cyrius.

OUT OF CHARACTER
7 charges used, 36 hps healed

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel uses the wand on Fluffy.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Two (2) charges of wand used - 5 hp healing

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel uses the wand on Tex.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Six (6) charges of the wand used, 35 hp healing

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

OUT OF CHARACTER
That puts Cyrius at 50%

Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel turns back to Cyrius, using the wand for more healing.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Four (4) charges used, 28 hps more healing.

25 charges now expended.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Updated stats below to reflect the healing. Cyrius and Fluffy are now conscious.

Prost is transparent, but not invisible, and he's able to talk, so, unless he hides in the walls, he should have no problem attracting Tex's attention.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
1. Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: sunrod dropped, 17 bolts left, 4 hp damage
2. Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 38 arrows left, wand of CLW 25 charges left, 0 lay on hands left, 1 smite evil left, uninjured
3. Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 8 arrows left, 4 hp damage
4. Evan Prost: short sword and loaded slingstaff readied, 6 +1 bullets left, darkvision 174.9 minutes left, gaseous form 6.5 minutes left, 14 hp damage
6. Fluffy: 11 hp damage
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex steps back from Prost at first in surprise, but then grins as he sees his friend.... alive? Prost, are you OK? What happened? Where's Lola?
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost describes were he has been, where Lola is, the five lizard men he saw and the other two prisoners.

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

We must act to rescue our Amazon companion, Cyrius declares. We have lost one comrade to these brutes, Athena grant we do not lose another. And he materializes his mindblade in its longsword form.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

My speed is limited but I can lead you straight to them and they’ll never see me coming perhaps we can catch them unaware

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”