Encounter at Shadow Castle Keep Parts 1 and 2

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: [Active Thread] Encounter at Shadow Castle Keep Part 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Do you all agree to follow Prost to find the lizards with the prisoners? Any special tactics or preparations you want to make?

Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Darn right Cyrius agrees! :rant:

Sir paladin, I suspect the lizardman to whom Lola was taken is the most dangerous of those foes. I suggest you invoke the divine power Mitra has bequeathed you and concentrate on that one while Texudus and I engage the rest. I'm not sure what Prost can contribute directly, though he may serve as a distraction. Cyrius glances at Fluffy. We can try coaxing the dog to accompany us by invoking Lola's name and hope he moves to defend her, but animals are not my forté.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

"I agree. I will attempt to identify the leader and engage him. Should someone else carry the wand, though?," asks Worrel.
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex says, After that last fight, I'm thinking we can take on a few more. I could use some more arrows though.

Worrel, can you spare some of your Arrows?

He looks around, Lets come back for this stuff later I'm thinking.

He then pulls out a piece of food and approaches at Fluffy, Cmon boy (or girl), lets go find Lola!
Animal handling:

Ready whenever you are!
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel reaches to his quiver and grasps all of his arrows. "I will not be using them - make them count," says the paladin.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

For me, a wand is merely a stick, Cyrius responds to Worrel's query. Unless our friends here can invoke its power, I think you must wield it.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

OUT OF CHARACTER
I can never remember, can a Ranger use a wand?

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

ElectroZman wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:46 am
OUT OF CHARACTER
I can never remember, can a Ranger use a wand?

Yes, if its spell is on the ranger spell list (which cure light wounds is) :thumb1:
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex says, I'll hold on to it.

He tucks it into his belt for quick retrieval if needed.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Tex takes Worrel's arrows and wand. He easily coaxes Fluffy into following the party. The group leaves all the loot behind to deal with later and Prost leads them to the place where he last saw Lola. (I assume you continue to use Cyrius' sunrod as a source light.)

The room to which Prost guides the party has not changed much he left, but it's new to the rest of the group (so I'm repeating the description here). This room is different from the others in the lair. Decorations made of wood and clay beads hang from the walls, with egg symbols the most common element. A small pit of stone and clay holds the remnants of a fire, and several open pots of herbs stand near the fire pit. A pool of water surrounds a cluster of tree trunks in the center of the room.

There are several lizardfolk here, but the most notable is a stooped lizardfolk wearing necklaces and bracelets of animal’s teeth (Hi on the map). There is a snake (V) coiled nearby. In one corner of the room are two human prisoners—a male soldier (blue S) and a female mage (blue M, picture below)—unconscious and bound. Likewise, Lola is lying unconscious next to these two and has been bound and gagged since Prost left.

The lizardfolk are clearly aware of the party's approach, but they do not immediately attack. Instead, they look to the stooped lizard with the jewelry for guidance. This individual looks mildly surprised at the party's arrival. It raises one clawed hand and says in rather broken common, Wait, wait! If you hoomansss here and not tied in ropesss, it meansss king isss dead, yesss?

ACTIVE EFFECTS
1. Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: sunrod and mind blade readied, 17 bolts left, 4 hp damage
2. Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 0 arrows left, 0 lay on hands left, 1 smite evil left, uninjured
3. Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 46 arrows left, wand of CLW 25 charges left, 4 hp damage
4. Evan Prost: short sword and loaded slingstaff readied, 6 +1 bullets left, darkvision 172.9 minutes left, gaseous form 4.5 minutes left, 14 hp damage
5. Lola: short sword dropped, 49 bolts left, 39 hp damage + 6 hp nonlethal, unconscious, bound and gagged
6. Fluffy: 11 hp damage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel steps forward, just into the room. He holds his shield up, and his longsword in a ready position, clearly able to defend himself.

"Yes, the king is dead. We have come for our companion," he replies. "None of them yielded, so they are dead, even the birdwomen."
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex has an arrow notched and drawn. He'll fire if they take any aggressive action.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Keeping one claw raised in what appears to be an effort to look nonthreatening, the old lizard says a few words to its companions in their guttural language. Then it speaks to Worrel, We tellsss the king itsss not wissse to make war on hoomansss. And we do not believe the wormsss is hoomanss fault. But the Black-Ssscaled Queen hasss poisssoned hisss mind and he doesss not lisssten.

Ssso we who are left do not want war with hoomansss. Inssstead, we make deal, yesss? You help usss, we help you?

ACTIVE EFFECTS
1. Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: sunrod and mind blade readied, 17 bolts left, 4 hp damage
2. Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 0 arrows left, 0 lay on hands left, 1 smite evil left, uninjured
3. Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 46 arrows left, wand of CLW 25 charges left, 4 hp damage
4. Evan Prost: short sword and loaded slingstaff readied, 6 +1 bullets left, darkvision 172.8 minutes left, gaseous form 4.4 minutes left, 14 hp damage
5. Lola: short sword dropped, 49 bolts left, 39 hp damage + 6 hp nonlethal, unconscious, bound and gagged
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Lola seems to be missing from the map.

ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

OUT OF CHARACTER
I see lola, the light green L next to the blue S

Tex relaxes the tension on his bow, but keeps the arrow nocked.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

ElectroZman wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:55 pm
OUT OF CHARACTER
I see lola, the light green L next to the blue S

OUT OF CHARACTER
Ah, missed that.

Cyrius holds his mindblade pointed towards the ground.
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel considers for a moment before replying.

"What help do you require?," asks the paladin. "And what help do you offer to us?"

While he waits, Worrel tries to recall if he has ever heard of the "Black-Scaled Queen".

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

The old lizard seems pleased with how this negotiation is going. It replies to Worrel, The king isss no more, but the Black-Ssscaled Queen still hasss ssservantsss here. They sssay they are guarding our eggsss. We sssay our eggsss are hossstagesss. You powerful hooomansss get usss the eggsss and we give you back thessse other hooomansss. Easssy, yesss?"

OUT OF CHARACTER
No one has ever heard of a Black-Scaled Queen

ACTIVE EFFECTS
4. Evan Prost: short sword and loaded slingstaff readied, 6 +1 bullets left, darkvision 172.7 minutes left, gaseous form 4.3 minutes left, 14 hp damage
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel continues the discussion, asking "What is this about worms?"
OUT OF CHARACTER
I cannot recall ... have we encountered worms before?

ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex raises his bow again and says quietly, I think they need to release the prisoners now...
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
I'll post a reply from the lizard shaman later in the week, to give Prost and Cyrius an opportunity to chime in, but first...

JPetherick wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:59 pmI cannot recall ... have we encountered worms before?
OUT OF CHARACTER
I can't tell if this is meant sarcastically, but I suspect it isn't. We've been playing this a long time, so it's easy to lose the plot. Here are some key links to refresh your memory:

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius keeps his mindblade lowered as he responds to Texudus' remark, They can help us in retrieving the eggs.
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

OUT OF CHARACTER
How long will Lola be unconscious?

Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

kabkal wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:25 amHow long will Lola be unconscious?
OUT OF CHARACTER
In the absence of healing, two hours... although that might be resolved more quickly depending on what your allies do in response to the next post...

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Worrel continues the discussion, asking What is this about worms?

The lizard responds, The wormsss were a plague on the Twisssted Branch. They made the dead rissse and they killed our eggsss. The Black-Ssscaled Queen sssaved usss from the wormsss, and we are grateful for that. But now ssshe drivesss usss to attack the hooomansss. Ssshe tellsss usss they bring the wormsss. He shakes his head, But there isss no evidenssse. No direct conectssshun. And alssso isss logical fallasssy. Wormsss would kill hoomansss eggsss too...

Tex raises his bow again and says quietly, I think they need to release the prisoners now... and Cyrius adds, They can help us in retrieving the eggs.

The shaman, keeping his claws raised, replies, How about compromissse? We give you one prisssoner now, the ressst after you sssave eggsss?

OUT OF CHARACTER
I just wrote a work email and had to restrain myself (ressstrain myssself) from typing three S's all over the place...

ACTIVE EFFECTS
4. Evan Prost: short sword and loaded slingstaff readied, 6 +1 bullets left, darkvision 172.7 minutes left, gaseous form 4.3 minutes left, 14 hp damage
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost floats out in front of the old lizard man, pointing to Lola, in his most intimidating voice...Heal my friend!
OUT OF CHARACTER
Prost would move through the walls to pop out (1631 to 1732) in front of the old Lizard man

OUT OF CHARACTER
Not sure which would apply so here is both; Image

Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Prost floats through the walls towards the old lizard. L11 is startled and swipes at Prost defensively with his morning star as he passes by, but misses.

Arriving in front of the shaman, Prost points to Lola and shouts, in his most intimidating (and very spooky, because of the gaseous form spell) voice, Heal my friend!
OUT OF CHARACTER
I gave you a circumstance bonus to the intimidate check, because the shaman does not have spellcraft and has no idea that Prost isn't some kind of ghost or entity!

Gah! says the shaman with a start. It wades through the pool and casts a spell on Lola.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Lola is healed 10 hp lethal, plus all of her nonlethal, for a total of 16 hp. She is now conscious, but she's still bound and gagged.

Spellcraft DC16 to identify the shaman's spellShow
Cure Light Wounds
The old lizard, still frightened of Prost, says, Pleassse, I am helping you. We are negossshiating in good faith! We let thisss one go and you sssave eggsss? Pleassse?

ACTIVE EFFECTS
4. Evan Prost: short sword and loaded slingstaff readied, 6 +1 bullets left, darkvision 172.6 minutes left, gaseous form 4.2 minutes left, 14 hp damage
5. Lola: short sword dropped, 49 bolts left, 29 hp damage, bound and gagged
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Let them all go. Tex says. Now.

We'll save your eggs.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

It's possible these two won't be any help, Cyrius points out, while Lola is a known quantity. And it's not surprising these folk might not trust us to help them without an incentive.
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

We might not need their help, but I see no reason to let them remain prisoner or be held for some future demands, Tex replies. We've already seen one of ours fall to their kind. These 'folk' are in no position to make demands of us and I remind you that they began all this with the attack on the keep and kidnapping. We can finish this now one way or the other.

We've already said we'd help retrieve their eggs. That should be good enough.

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”