[Active Thread] The Hall of Harsh Reflections

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: [Active Thread] The Hall of Harsh Reflections

Post by patransom »

Prost peers around the corner and exclaims, Worel you’re o... At it again, I knew you were no good sneaky thief, talking about me behind my back you’ll get yours, when the syndicate hears about this! Then, with an evil smile, he goes back around the corner, jumps in a treasure chest, and closes the lid behind him.

Worrel thinks quickly and explains We came here looking for information on someone who attacked us. And, that incident with the parade, if you heard about that. Were you and your friends also sent here? In a similar fashion? Ourselves, we want to find out about the origins of these marked chests.” Then, he points to the chest and adds, We were led wrong by our 'companion'

The doppelganger thinks a moment and replies, No, we weren't sent here. This is our home. If your companion or a 'syndicate' or someone else sent you here to find information about attacks or parades or whatever, then we must have a common enemy. I'm not high enough in the organization to guess who that might be... It adds, Maybe it would be best if I took you to the boss, who might know who's behind this plot.

OUT OF CHARACTER
I think I figured out what's going on with rolz. If you roll, then click the link, it gives you blank results. If you exit the dice room, come back in, then click the link, everything works.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Bless (all PCs except Prost): 1.9 minutes remaining
Feather Token Whip: +10 BAB, 1d6+1 nonlethal, free grapple attack (with a +15 bonus on its combat maneuver checks) if it hits; 55.8 minutes remaining

The solid red lines are solid walls in the "basement" room. The dashed red lines have holes easily big enough for a gaseous halfling to move through.

1. Lola - loaded crossbow readied, 30 bolts left, 1 channel energy left

2. Tex - 83 arrows left, 35 hp damage

3. Worrel - 17 arrows left, 1 lay on hands left, wand of CLW 20 charges left

4. Ardrea - staff readied, fly 1 minute used

5. Cyrius - uncharged mind blade longsword readied, 7 hp damage

6. Prost - unloaded slingstaff readied, 37 bullets left, 18 bullets +1 left, 26 hp damage

7. Fluffy

8. Invisible Attacker 1? - 23 hp damage, including 3 nonlethal

9. Invisible Attacker 2? - 55 hp damage, including 6 nonlethal

10. Doppelganger formerly known as Fake Prost - 31 hp damage including 6 nonlethal, tied up with ropes and a flying whip
OUT OF CHARACTER
For reference, this is a description of the room with the invisible creatures: Much of the floor of this ruined chamber has given way, revealing a large stagnant pool of water below. Rusted spears and broken swords break the surface of this pool throughout the room. A framework of soggy timbers that might have once supported the floor still stands, stretching out across the void.

Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost stays quiet, waiting, listening… with a potion of gaseous form readied, should he need it…
Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Speaking with your boss would be best, replies Worrel. Someone who can make decisions and would know about who would want our groups to fight, rather than cooperate.

The paladin looks around at the ruined warehouse. When, and where, can we meet?
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

The doppelganger replies, Master Telakin's hall is nearby, but the way is hidden and the warrens are full of traps, so I'd need to lead you there. Doing that would be difficult while I'm tied up... The creature glances over at the double doors, I'm guessing you killed the invisible stalkers?
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Does Prost hear any of the conversation? Do you need a roll?

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
smeltdm wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:01 pmDoes Prost hear any of the conversation? Do you need a roll?
Prost can hear it all

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

"They were fierce defenders," replies Worrel.

"Speaking of leading us ... how do we follow you?," he asks. All the while, wondering how much he and his companions can trust this doppelganger to not leave them in the midst of a trapped prison.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius will dismiss his mind blade so as to appear non-threatening to the doppelganger's associates, but will be ready to materialize it at the first provocation.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

JPetherick wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:37 pm "Speaking of leading us ... how do we follow you?," he asks. All the while, wondering how much he and his companions can trust this doppelganger to not leave them in the midst of a trapped prison.
Just stay close by, says the doppelganger, I'm sure Master Telakin will want to hear your story, so I won't lead you astray. It adds, sounding almost apologetic, I will need my hands and feet free to cross the planks in the next room, though...
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost takes his potion of gaseous form and moves closer to the group trying to stay hidden from the doppelganger, but also hopping his friends see him so that they move slower...THINKING: him most people don't look up so, up I'll go

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

smeltdm wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:50 am Prost takes his potion of gaseous form and moves closer to the group trying to stay hidden from the doppelganger, but also hopping his friends see him so that they move slower...THINKING: him most people don't look up so, up I'll go
Ah, a disciple of Foxilon Cardluck :wink:
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex continues to keep watch.
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel looks to his companions for agreement, before making any motion to untie the doppelganger.

Once it seems his companions agree with this course, he releases the creature's feet and arms while keeping several loops around its waist. Stout enough for someone to grip while following close.
Last edited by JPetherick on Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex will keep back 10 feet from the Doppleganger, with 2 arrows ready.
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Just so it's clear, Worrel states to the doppelganger.

I am going to be holding the rope, like I was holding up a companion who had imbibed too much to drink. Maybe one of my companions on the other side, too. Make yourself look like a human, elf, whatever. Not a halfling, unless you want us to carry you.
Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

Lola says Perhaps let him stay halfing size, else trying a rope around a human sized waist, he may be able shapeshift smaller and it drops off
Lola takes out her wand of cure light and taps Tex [down 35] a few times, then Cyrius [down 7], then looks around for Prost.. if she doesn't see him she puts away the wand.

burns 5 charges to heal tex 32 pts
charge 6 heals cyrius for 5,

total usage 6 charges.
Image Lola: Amazonian Cleric
Image Tover Lastblock, Gnome Fighter 1
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Silverstone wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:25 am Lola says Perhaps let him stay halfing size, else trying a rope around a human sized waist, he may be able shapeshift smaller and it drops off
Lola takes out her wand of cure light and taps Tex [down 35] a few times, then Cyrius [down 7], then looks around for Prost.. if she doesn't see him she puts away the wand.

burns 5 charges to heal tex 32 pts
charge 6 heals cyrius for 5,

total usage 6 charges.
Prost would be floating about in his gaseous form up high, trying to hide from the eyes of the doppelgänger
OUT OF CHARACTER
Pat do you need a stealth check

:cry: bad roll, at least for Prost

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Once it seems Worrel's companions agree with the plan, he releases the creature's feet and arms while keeping several loops around its waist. Stout enough for someone to grip while following close.

Trying to follow both Worrel's and Lola's directions, the doppelganger shifts into the shape of a small doppelganger, not a halfling, which means the loops around its waist remain quite tight.

Prost drinks a potion of gaseous form and floats up near the ceiling.

Lola burns all the remaining charges on the wand of cure light wounds to heal Tex. [My tracker showed her with only 5 charges remaining]

Tex keeps watch, staying 10 feet back from the doppelganger.

The doppelganger approaches the double doors to the next room and says meekly, Everyone ready?

OUT OF CHARACTER
Is everyone's position in general okay? Anything else you want to do before the doppelganger opens the doors back into the room with the planks?

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Bless (all PCs except Prost): 0.9 minutes remaining
Feather Token Whip: +10 BAB, 1d6+1 nonlethal, free grapple attack (with a +15 bonus on its combat maneuver checks) if it hits; 54.8 minutes remaining

The solid red lines are solid walls in the "basement" room. The dashed red lines have holes easily big enough for a gaseous halfling to move through.

2. Tex - bow readied, 83 arrows left, 3 hp damage

3. Worrel - holding a rope tied around doppelganger, 17 arrows left, 1 lay on hands left, wand of CLW 20 charges left

6. Prost - unloaded slingstaff readied, 37 bullets left, 18 bullets +1 left, 26 hp damage, Gaseous Form 10 minutes remaining

7. Fluffy

10. Doppelganger formerly known as Fake Prost - 31 hp damage including 6 nonlethal, tied around the waist with ropes
OUT OF CHARACTER
For reference, this is a description of the room with the invisible creatures: Much of the floor of this ruined chamber has given way, revealing a large stagnant pool of water below. Rusted spears and broken swords break the surface of this pool throughout the room. A framework of soggy timbers that might have once supported the floor still stands, stretching out across the void.

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Put Cyrius at 1015, behind the doppelganger and flanking Fluffy.

ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex is ready.
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Worrell is ready

smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Not sure movement restrictions would allow, but can Prost move 5 more feet north from current position, other wise Prost is ready
Last edited by smeltdm on Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jinxs-3d
BARON
BARON

Post by Jinxs-3d »

Ardrea is ready
Teucer Argent - Zen Archer
Image Ardrea - Jinx Witch
Image Mazer: Goblin Champion
Image Arkyat, Orc Thaumaturge
Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

Lola is ready.
OUT OF CHARACTER
i had printed an older .tos file of lola which i use paper for reference, which is why thought wand had more charges.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

The doppelganger opens the doors and leads the party to the edge of the platform in the collapsed chamber. It says, We will need to go in single file over these planks. If you move slowly, you will probably be okay. It will be a lot easier since you killed the invisible stalkers.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Walking across the planks at half speed requires a DC12 balance check to make progress. Failing by 5 or more (i.e., DC7) means you fall in. Except for Worrel, everyone can take 10 and be fine. Worrel can tell just from looking that this is going to be a problem for him. Even moving at half speed and taking 10, he will fall off the planks. Unless he can roll four 17's before rolling anything less than 13, he's going in the water with the pointy, rusty weapons!

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Bless (all PCs except Prost): 0.8 minutes remaining
Feather Token Whip: +10 BAB, 1d6+1 nonlethal, free grapple attack (with a +15 bonus on its combat maneuver checks) if it hits; 54.7 minutes remaining

2. Tex - bow readied, 83 arrows left, 3 hp damage

3. Worrel - holding a rope tied around doppelganger, 17 arrows left, 1 lay on hands left, wand of CLW 20 charges left

6. Prost - unloaded slingstaff readied, 37 bullets left, 18 bullets +1 left, 26 hp damage, Gaseous Form 9.9 minutes remaining

7. Fluffy

10. Doppelganger formerly known as Fake Prost - 31 hp damage including 6 nonlethal, tied around the waist with ropes
OUT OF CHARACTER

Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

Lola says wait all, i dont think the invisble stalkers are dead? looking at the doppelganger i say please tell them we are OK to pass
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

THINKING: Hmm good job Lola

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Silverstone wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:53 pm Lola says wait all, i dont think the invisble stalkers are dead? looking at the doppelganger i say please tell them we are OK to pass
What?! Oh! says the doppelganger. Then it yells, Deception!

Deception. That's the password, it adds, You all need to say it before we get out on those planks, or things will go very badly...

OUT OF CHARACTER
I was kind of hoping no one remembered to bring up that the invisible stalkers are still out there. But if everyone says the password, once you come up with a solution to get Worrell and his awkward armor across the planks, you should be good to move past this map.

smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

OUT OF CHARACTER
gold well spent on potions >:)

Prost moves 0914, dismisses gaseous form, feather falls to the ground quietly. On the ground he hands one his two remaining potions of gaseous form to Tex for Worrell.

ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex hands the potion to Worrel telling him quietly, This should help you get across. Gaseous Form.

Then he is sure to say, Deception before he walks carefully across the planks.

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”