Sodden Stories: Scene 2 - Exploring the Jungle

A mother hires a group of heroes to protect her son as he bungles his way through the jungle looking for inspiration for stories to tell.

Moderator: holydeg

holydeg
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

Sodden Stories: Scene 2 - Exploring the Jungle

Post by holydeg »

As you step outside the inn, you are greeted by a steady rain that patters softly on the foliage and muddy paths. The humid air is thick with the earthy scent of wet vegetation and the distant calls of exotic birds, muffled slightly by the rainfall. Despite the overcast sky and persistent drizzle, the you remain undeterred, your determination unwavering.

The transition from the urban sprawl of Hyrantam to the untamed jungle is marked by the increasing density of the vegetation around you. Towering trees with wide, fan-like leaves and thick vines stretch out in every direction, creating a verdant labyrinth that beckons you deeper into the wild.

Inva, with her keen senses, guides the group along faint trails and through dense underbrush, her eyes sharp despite the rain. Victor Who'me, the Catfolk Swashbuckler, moves with feline grace, his fur slick but his movements fluid and confident. Tover Lastblock, the Gnome Fighter, and Arkyat, the Orc Thaumaturge, remain vigilant, their eyes scanning the surroundings for any signs of danger. Pixel, the Charhide Goblin Sorcerer, brings up the rear, his excitement palpable as he anticipates the adventures to come.

Ecmund, clutching a waterproof satchel filled with his writing materials and maps, walks in the midst of the group. His enthusiasm is contagious as he often pauses to jot down observations or sketch interesting flora and fauna you encounter along the way.

As the sounds of the city fade away, the jungle envelops you in its wet embrace. The rustling of leaves and the distant hum of insects create a symphony of natural sounds, mingling with the rhythmic patter of rain. You press onward, your steps sure despite the slippery ground and the occasional splash of water as you navigate through puddles and small streams.

The rain-soaked jungle feels alive with possibilities, each drop of rain a reminder of the wild and untamed nature of the Mwangi Expanse. With each step, the promise of adventure and discovery grows stronger, driving you forward into the heart of the jungle, where untold secrets and challenges await. Ecmund's presence adds an extra layer of purpose to your journey, as you are not only seeking treasure and glory but also helping a young storyteller capture the essence of this untamed land.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Please tell me what exploration activity you are doing as you travel through the jungle.

Image Game Master
holydeg
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

Re: Sodden Stories: Scene 2 - Exploring the Jungle

Post by holydeg »

OUT OF CHARACTER
I forgot to mention, everyone gets a new Hero Point. Since no-one used a hero point in Scene 1, this means that everyone has a total of 2 Hero Points.

Image Game Master
JellyBrains
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by JellyBrains »

Victor will scout.
OUT OF CHARACTER
He has scent.

OUT OF CHARACTER
+1 to nature and survival checks

Last edited by JellyBrains on Wed May 22, 2024 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Pixel will be looking everywhere, almost like a child discovering a new world.
Exploration Activity: Investigate!

NOTES:
Hero Points available : 2
Special: +1 circumstance bonus to Nature and Survival checks in scene #2

Image Pixel: Goblin Sorcerer 1
Jinxs-3d
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

Post by Jinxs-3d »

Arkyat will also use Investigate as they move thru the jungle.
Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

Tover will search as we move.
OUT OF CHARACTER
+1 circumstance bonus to Nature and Survival checks for Scene 2

Image Lola: Amazonian Cleric
Image Tover Lastblock: Gnome Fighter 1
rednetra
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by rednetra »

I will make sure to keep an eye on the path as well as the general area investigating and being vigilant for protection.
holydeg
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

Post by holydeg »

As you delve deeper into the rain-soaked jungle, your collective expertise and vigilance come to the forefront, each member contributing to the group's safety and progress.

Victor Who'me takes point, his feline grace and keen senses making him an ideal scout. His eyes dart from side to side, scanning the dense underbrush and treetops for any signs of movement. His ears twitch at the slightest sound, alert to the potential presence of dangerous beasts or hidden threats. Every so often, Victor pauses to listen intently, ensuring the path ahead is clear before signaling the others to follow.

Tover Lastblock, the Gnome Fighter, follows closely behind Victor, his Flickmace and Spiked Shield at the ready. Tover's sharp eyes meticulously survey the ground and surrounding foliage for traps, snares, or other hidden dangers that could ensnare the group. His experience in battle and sharp instincts guide his steps, ensuring that no danger goes unnoticed.

Arkyat, the Orc Thaumaturge, walks alongside Inva and Pixel, his mind reaching out to the mystical energies of the jungle. He murmurs incantations under his breath, calling upon his knowledge of ancient rituals and the arcane to sense any supernatural threats or magical phenomena in their vicinity. His connection to the mystical world is a crucial asset, providing the group with insights beyond the physical realm.

Inva, the Fetchling Psychic, uses her psychic abilities to attune herself to the environment. She closes her eyes periodically, allowing her mind to extend outward, feeling for any emotional disturbances or psychic residues left by others who may have passed through the area. Her awareness is heightened, ready to alert the group to any impending dangers or unseen presences.

Pixel, the Charhide Goblin Sorcerer, draws upon his innate magical knowledge and love for fire to analyze their surroundings. He studies the local flora and fauna, recalling information about the various creatures that inhabit the Mwangi Expanse. His understanding of the jungle's ecosystem helps the group avoid poisonous plants and dangerous animals, while his affinity for fire provides a comforting sense of protection against potential threats.

Ecmund walks among you, occasionally pulling out his book to say, "Yup, this is the right way!"

The rain continues to fall, creating a rhythmic backdrop to your journey. The jungle around you is a symphony of sounds, from the croaking of frogs to the distant calls of unseen birds.

Victor leads the party to a fork in the path. One path leads down to follow the base of a cliff, while the other path snakes across the top of the cliff.

Looking at his book, Ecmund seems dismayed, "Both paths seems to go to the same place, but I can't tell which is faster."
ArkyatShow
Examining the flora of the paths ahead, you can't tell which path may be better.
InvaShow
Casting your mind wide, you sense that the lower path leads into marshes inhabited by Boggard tribes, but you also recall that fearsome lizardfolk called the Terwa Lords, have been raiding in higher climbs nearby.
PixelShow
Examining the flora of the paths ahead, you can't tell which path may be better.
ToverShow
The soil of the cliffs ahead seems loose and unstable. Traveling the upper path could see the ground fall out from under you, but at the same time, the lower path could be subject to landslides from above.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Default Exploration Activities: These activities can be changed at any time you would like, you just have to state that you are changing your exploration activity.

Image Game Master
Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

Tover says "Soil looks loose, if we are up top we may slide down, but if we are below we may need to outrun a landslide.. my vote is low path"
JellyBrains
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by JellyBrains »

I agree. Faster is not better.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Pixel's eyes widen in fear.
Me no can outrun sliding lands!! he says, looking down at his short legs.

He ponders a moment, his slightly burned left hand on his chin. His expression brightens suddenly.

Me lightweight! How about me walk in front when the path seems slippery? Less chance to start a sliding land and with rope tied to waist, some protection should it starts to slide!! He exclaims excitedly, beaming with pride at his own idea.

NOTES:

Jinxs-3d
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

Post by Jinxs-3d »

Arkyat shrugs.
It sounds like either path offers fun with possible landslides. Whichever way you guys think is best.
rednetra
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by rednetra »

Inva closes her eyes stretching out with her senses and mind then slowly opens her eyes resolved I sense that the lower path holds a Boggard tribes taking a moment again I seem to recall, a rather terrifying lizardfolk by the name Terwa Lord running raids in the higher climbs close by to here.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorfry to hold everyone up work kick my arse this past two weeks.

Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

Tover says "So, terrifying Lizardfolk and landslides if we go high, and running from landslides and boggards if low.. I guess I vote low."
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

ok, low we go! Pixel says, resuming the march when the others are ready.

NOTES:

JellyBrains
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by JellyBrains »

Before we commit to either path, I would be willing to scout out the upper path. Falling off a cliff is not so scary for me. I've done it before. Not thrilled with landslides but I would rather follow one than be under one.
OUT OF CHARACTER
What kind of check to remember about Lizardfolk?

holydeg
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

Post by holydeg »

JellyBrains wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:25 pm Before we commit to either path, I would be willing to scout out the upper path. Falling off a cliff is not so scary for me. I've done it before. Not thrilled with landslides but I would rather follow one than be under one.
OUT OF CHARACTER
What kind of check to remember about Lizardfolk?

VictorShow
The lizardfolk of the Mwangi Expanse are far less insular than lizardfolk (also known as iruxis) elsewhere. Many Mwangi iruxis utilize their skills as rangers and fighters to serve as mercenaries on the behalf of the nations that once encroached on their territories. Others work as merchants who open and manage trade hubs and waystations across the Expanse—always staffed in groups of three and with extremely strict terms on fair trade. Crossing an iruxi trader is ill-advised; betraying an iruxi mercenary even more so. Due to the potential competition and market share as guides, iruxi and Mwangi kobolds often clash. Kobolds often undercut the prices of iruxis and are willing to work for almost anyone. Iruxi rarely negotiate with adventurers who consider hiring kobolds, citing their capriciousness and potential untrustworthiness.

While the Terwa Lords are the only established lizardfolk nation in the Sodden Lands and wider Mwangi Expanse, all major lizardfolk nations and several smaller congregations can be found represented in the Sodden Lands. Though the reason behind this has never been made clear, many
speculate that the Sodden Lands act as the seat of a lizardfolk council.

The Terwa Lords are a growing power in the Sodden Lands, an aggressive conglomeration of iruxi conquerors who gained influence and territory at the expense of their more peaceful neighbors. As they conquer other villages, they kill the leaders and assimilate the remaining population. The conquered may regain status if they join the periodic war parties to raid the Shackles, or if they have useful skills as artisans or hunter-gatherers.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Knowledge about Lizardfolk would a secret Society check. I have been rolling secret checks for you guys. Tover, go ahead and roll a survival check for scouting the upper path.

Image Game Master
Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Rolled a 10.
+1 circumstance bonus to Nature and Survival checks for Scene 2

holydeg
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

Post by holydeg »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Well, don't I feel dumb. I told Tover to roll the Survival check, but it was Victor who was checking out the path ahead. My apologies. Victor would you make that roll please.

Image Game Master
JellyBrains
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by JellyBrains »

Survival check 6
JellyBrains
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by JellyBrains »

Victor thinks
I don't think I want to tangle with a tribe of Lizardfolk. Let's approach quietly.
Stealth 26
OUT OF CHARACTER
he might not find squat, but squat will find him!

holydeg
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

Post by holydeg »

VictorShow
You quietly move move through the undergrowth of the Jungle along the cliff's edge, the soft soil making your footsteps nearly imperceptible even to your acute hearing. A quarter mile along the cliff, the ground gives way under your feet, but you leap to safety with lithe grace as boulders crash and raucous screeches call from the canopy below. There are no hints of anything atop the cliff noticing your presence though.

Another quarter mile down the road, you spot a group of Lizardfolk gathered to the side of the road. One is watching the road, two are raising a tent, and the last is starting a fire for cooking their dinners. All are armed with spears.
Arkyat, Inva, Pixel, ToverShow
Victor moves ahead, quickly disappearing into the undergrowth. About twenty minutes later you hear the sound of boulders falling down the cliff and the screeching of animals fleeing the landslide.
Image Game Master
JellyBrains
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Post by JellyBrains »

Victor will remain hidden and observe for 5 minutes.
Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

If Tover can't see our scout, and hearing a commotion ahead he thinks our scout may be in trouble, so speeds up until he sees the scout ahead or the evidence of the noise.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Sharing the same concerns as Tover, Pixel will also move ahead, but at a more careful pace.

NOTES:

holydeg
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

Post by holydeg »

Victor went on the upper path, but the noises were from a landslide hitting the lower path. As you rush to check on Victor, which path do you run down?
Image Game Master
Jinxs-3d
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

Post by Jinxs-3d »

Arkyat not being the stealthy sort will follow 20-30 feet behind the others. Being as careful as he can.
Silverstone
Divine Rank 22
Divine Rank 22

Post by Silverstone »

Tover is checking based on the scouts last known drection and trail he picked
holydeg
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor